Kumho TA71

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with Kumho TA71 tires yet? I had a set of Kumhos on a Mustang 10 years ago, and I had a bad experience (highway sidewall blow-out on a like-new tire for no apparent reason). I'm a little hesitant to use this brand again, but I've seen some favorable reviews on some of their newer tires. Any opinions?

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
I'm about to find out. Having a set of TA31's installed on the Mazda today.

how ya like that Volvo in your sig?

ta71 are a superior tire in that class

I might consider the even more UHP
ECSTA 4X II for a mustang if you push it

but the ta71 are close just tweaked for noise and wear over performance.

I am going to buy a set of TA71 for Volvo V70 this Memorial day weekend from America's Tire(DT elsewhere).

Originally Posted By: Tirerack.com
After a hard-fought battle, the General AltiMAX RT43 earned its prom king crown. The General and the Kumho placed first or second in every aspect of testing, making it a tight race that resulted in a difficult decision. In the end, the choice came down to the on-road manners of the two tires. The Kumho made less tread noise, but suffered from some harshness when encountering bumps and road imperfections. The General was more composed and refined over all types of impacts, but had a slightly more noticeable growl when driving. On our winter-ravaged roads in the Midwest, the small increase in tread noise from the General was the preferable compromise. If you live in a part of the country where potholes and frost heaves are less prevalent, then the Kumho Solus TA71 may be the tire for you.

The TA71 is an updated version of the old LX Platinum which were very good tires. I tend to take the tirerack in-house reviews with a grain of salt because their results are largely based on their use of BMWs as test mules. What will be a substantial impact on some cars will not be on others, etc.

I'm guessing that the TA71 is a bit sturdier tire than the RT43 which, although they're good tires, I think they might be more subject to road hazards and related issues due to lighter and softer construction. When I think of potholes and frost heaves, I think of the tire itself and not how well it can cope with these issues in a one-off test to keep you comfy...I think of potentially not being able to cope upon hitting several potholes and the like over time. Something a heavier vehicle would undoubtedly dish out to the tire in greater measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back