Brand new member first UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I'm a new member here and this is my first post. I have a 2012 Nissan Titan Pro-4X that I bought brand new. I always took it to the dealer for oil changes until January of this year when I found out that I could do it myself and not void the warranty as long as I kept the receipts and within the mileage specs. Since then I've done 2 oil changes on it myself. My first oil change I put in Mobil super synthetic 5w-30 and ran it 3,800 miles. I just sent a sample of that to Blackstone and got my results yesterday which are posted below. I currently have Pennzoil Platinum in the truck now and will send a sample of that as well (I want to compare the two oils in my truck). Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself, I've been lurking on here for a few weeks. Like many of you my truck is my baby and I want to keep her forever :) What do you guys think of the results? I don't know much about UOA but it seems like my silicon was higher for only 3,800 miles since it was close to the average for 5,700 miles. Hopefully I can get this image to work.
Thanks,
Aaron
vTtWBM5.jpg

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

Looks good to me, it will be interesting to compare results with the Pennzoil UOA. Probably could go further once your warranty is up; what is the factory OCI?

The factory OCI is 3,750 for severe or city driving and 7,500 for highway driving with moderate temps. I'm going to send in the PP sample at the same mileage as the Mobil. No towing on either oils and very similar driving. Thanks for the welcome! :)

Last edited:
Looks to be a much more watered down version of the Jan 2013 VOA's. A fraction of the boron, much less detergents. I wouldn't want to use this if this is typical. Looks like a low SAPS type oil. The Pennzoil will have considerably higher levels of detergents.

PQIA 5w-30's

Might be nice to get a TBN I would run it right up to 5000 on this next run. This report looks really good.

Not much point in UOAing oil with such low mileage. Absent mechanical problems it's bound to be good.

Why not run it close to factory change intervals and test including TAN? You won't void the warranty. If there's an advantage to shorter runs, (a highly controversial topic around here) one run to limits as per the manual isn't going to hurt anything.

I did and the oil was in spec with low wear rates and considerable reserve. I don't go that far anymore simply because I don't want to put myself in that kind of a bind where I have to change the oil on a given weekend.

I diverted some of my OCD dollars to an early change of the transmission fluid and diff fluid instead.

Last edited:
My OCI is 3,750 for city driving and 7,500 for all highway driving according to the owners manual. I'm sticking to the lower number until my warranty is up next year. I do more city than highway miles. Also they consider Texas to be under the severe 1 OCI since it's hot here in the summer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back