Bleeding PS system (and also maybe going nuts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed out a leaky PS pump in a 2001 Durango 4.7 last weekend. I've since spent parts of our evenings trying to burp the system of its air and I'm still getting foam in the reservoir. I am not using a vacuum system, instead trying the lock-to-lock, top-off-the-reservoir method. But I've probably gone lock to lock now about 120-150 times. I'm still getting the fluid level to drop a bit in the reservoir so it feels like I'm making progress. Yet, every time I start it, the pump soon starts making a sort of sizzling sound and the reservoir then fills up with foam.

I'm about to tear it apart and start again, thinking I've got air getting into the system at some point. But I'm nearly certain I did everything right and that it's all buttoned up tight. But man, I'm pushing wit's end here. I don't want to be on the verge of being finished and then tear into it again and have to start all over. I also don't want to be constantly bleeding air that I'm introducing into the system every time I start it up.

Going on a week now and I'm searching high and low for any input/guidance/advice. I did this myself to save money and out of principle I'm going to finish it. (By gawd.)

AM I still burping air from the swap? Or do I have a leak? Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
The system is pulling in air from somewhere on the low/return side more than likely. The pump could have bad seals on that side sucking in air

I don't know how you are doing it, or what a Durango is, but - lock to lock with the road wheel, not the steering wheel, engine off.

I'm having PS issues as well and will take a look this weekend at the fluid -- perhaps top-off or replace.

When you are bleeding, you are removing the suction hose and starting and stopping the engine to allow some fluid with air to come out and then replug the hose, right?

It might be worth it to get a vacuum pump and try to pull a vacuum on it. If you can't ever get it to stop leaking down vacuum then you have a leak.
With it needing constant top-ups, Im surprised you haven't seen a leak somewhere.

Did you use the recommended fluid? Mixing fluids can cause foaming. I would flush the system with the original recommended fluid or upgraded fluid.

Update: the bonehead mechanic (me) didn't realize there is a small spacer that needed to come off the old pump where the reservoir nipple seats. I turned it in with the core. Not having it installed on the new pump meant air was getting into the system. Ended up getting a new (reman.) pump that came with pulley and reservoir because you can't buy just the spacer. About a $40 mistake but I guess I have a back up reservoir.

Tough lesson learned, but I think it's finally put back together. Thanks for all the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back