New rotors, surface oxidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 3 weeks ago I replaced the rear rotors and pads on the Monte. They're doing great - no noise and stop beautifully. However, I noticed the passenger side already has some oxidation going on. Car is garage kept so I don't think this is due to environmental factors. These pics are comparing the driver and passenger side, what could cause this? Rotors are Centric C-Tek Standard.

Those rotor hats are not painted, so they will display severe rust. Next time, I would get the Centric Premium (120 series) rotors - those come with a painted hat.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Those rotor hats are not painted, so they will display severe rust. Next time, I would get the Centric Premium (120 series) rotors - those come with a painted hat.

No doubt lacking a painted hat is a big reason why they're oxidizing. But why just the one side?

Car is beater status. Gets driven 8 miles to and from work 4 or 5 days a week. That's pretty much it. I choose not to buy premium parts anymore because it's just not worth it and I don't know how much longer I'll be holding onto the car.

Normal....the thin layer of rust will protect the metal underneath. Removing it is simply allowing the elements to get to more metal underneath.

Every seen the rotors on a brand new vehicle at a dealer? Rusted....

I HATE that!

You should've gotten Centric Premium or VGX Platinum/Fremax
smile.gif

There is a reason everything from bushings, shock absorbers and so on usually give up first on the passenger side, and that's because you have more potholes on the side of the road, potholes that in some occasions will store water and slush mixed with salt during the winter.

You can try painting the rotor hats with high temp paint, but it's hard to find a consumer grade spray that matches what the brake mfg uses.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
There is a reason everything from bushings, shock absorbers and so on usually give up first on the passenger side, and that's because you have more potholes on the side of the road, potholes that in some occasions will store water and slush mixed with salt during the winter.

Very very interesting! I have raybestos advanced technology rotors on my car with painted top hats. Overall they are in very good condition, but there is some very mild corrosion on the passenger side top hats, but not the driver side top hats. I never thought about how the passenger side of the car could see a harsher conditions, like maybe more salt and salt water that has accumulated on the side of the road.

Don't worry about it, in a year they will be a uniform oxidized color, only the wear areas will be shiny.

Painted rotor hats is just cosmetic nick picking.

Originally Posted By: Andy636

Interesting! I never gave that much thought but I think you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back