Indy Mechanic - Leak, I supplied Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Yeah, and this board is full of them.

Absolutely-That's what makes BITOG what it is..........

Originally Posted By: Trav
How many other professions have to put up with this stuff? Does anyone ask the electrician, plumber, roofing contractor, furnace, appliance repair guy, etc to use the parts they buy at Home Depot and call them crooks and gougers if they dont?
It sounds a bit crazy doesn't it.
lol.gif

I guess I will sand this car down, mask it up, buy the paint because i know its the same they use and ask someone to paint it and warranty the job. If they charge me more than 2 hrs they are friggin gougers that shouldn't be in business.

So-what's a FAIR mark up on on parts?
I have had 02 sensors and brake rotors quoted to me DOUBLE what I could buy them for. We are not talking labor here.....I have no problem paying somebody for their knowledge and skills.

Last edited:
I charge retail for the parts and buy them at wholesale. If I scored a real deal I will pass a little on to the customer.
Are you positive the parts they quoted double on were the same as you were looking at? I am doing a Toyota WP and tensioner w/belt all OE parts, you can 100% get those parts non OE for less than half but I wouldn't put them in.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I charge retail for the parts and buy them at wholesale. If I scored a real deal I will pass a little on to the customer.
Are you positive the parts they quoted double on were the same as you were looking at? I am doing a Toyota WP and tensioner w/belt all OE parts, you can 100% get those parts non OE for less than half but I wouldn't put them in.

All I know is I didn't price cheap parts in either case. It's the same way with rotors and pads on the Internet. You can get really good prices on both-quality parts. I think mechanics may need to look at their business model with the Internet. If you supply the parts I will warranty the work but the warranty charge will be whatever amount. Then let the consumer decide if they want to get their own parts. However, if the parts supplied by the consumer are junk-I can understand a no warranty situation.

It doesn't work that way, as a mechanic we need parts today not in a few days or a week from some internet supplier.
What you suggest is starting a three ring circus when something doesn't fit or fails. Many times a car is close to a date cutoff and more than one part is offered, I get all of them delivered and return the ones that dont fit.

What am I supposed to do with your Rock or Amazon parts that dont fit or are defective and your car is in bits taking up space that I need and use to make a living? I know if I get the order in by 4pm at the dealer they will have me the part usually at 7am tomorrow and be dropping it off at 8am.
I refuse to let someone put me behind the eight ball like that, its not worth it and its not fair.

I did a rack one time, the replacement looked right so I removed the damaged one and when doing a side by side found the new one wasn't set right, it was off a tooth.
The dealer had another one for me on the door from anther dealer by noon time, if the customer brought the part now i have to contact him and the ball is his court while my space is being taken up.
I cant take it off the lift and roll it out so it stays there until he comes up with a solution. He is now in effect in control of my business, income and preventing work on someone else's car. Is that fair?

You want to supply parts? Fine. No warranty and labor goes up. Gotta keep the lights on, the insurance man happy and everyone else who has their hands out.

It's a profession- leave it to the professionals. If you think you know something, have a friendly conversation prior to agreeing to the work to make sure your opinion is heard and your wishes are followed or simply do it your self. Don't start cutting his throat on parts.

Too many people think they're getting hosed, but they really have no idea how much money is REALLY involved in a shop. Don't get me wrong- there are shops that will hose you! I used to work for one... But I bet more than half are just average Joes just trying to put some money away for their business to survive and for when they get old and gray. Why would you want to take away their livelihood?

When I had my roof done, it was by a customer. He doesn't whine about my prices... He either has the money, or he doesn't. He shot me a price, I deemed it fair and accepted. He came out and had a few questions- I told him that he was the pro, do what he felt necessary. When he was done, he handed me the bill (for which I was prepared) and I handed him money. Sight on spot. No whining.

The point is to relay any special wishes or info, make sure you get an accurate bid- then accept or decline. Let the mech do his/her job and make their money. You want to save money with interwebz parts then do it yourself and save even more.

Originally Posted By: CKN
All I know is I didn't price cheap parts in either case.

High price does not necessarily mean high quality with aftermarket parts.

Last edited:
To the people that take parts to their mechanic...

Do you take your own beer to the bar?
Do you take your own food to a restaurant?
Do you take your own clippers/scissors to the barber?
Do you take your own medical equipment to the doctor's office?

Trav, The Eric, Chris142, etc. - you guys have my respect for dealing with idiots and trying to make a living while doing it.

Originally Posted By: 04SE

Trav, The Eric, Chris142, etc. - you guys have my respect for dealing with idiots and trying to make a living while doing it.

Yea-like the name calling. That's what we are for trying to save a few bucks....not smart....not prudent......just idiots.

I just love BITOG....that's why I hang out here. It's the intelligence.

I can't image me going to a professional mechanic and asking him to fix my vehicle with my parts and expect him to warranty the job. ID10T doesn't even cover this kind of thinking. Ed

Man...my feelings are hurt......I think I will find a corner and cry........

I brought parts to a mechanic to install once in my life. I was working way too many hours and had a bunch of suspension parts from Maximum Motorsports to install on my 98 Mustang. Anyone who knows who that is knows that their installation instructions are some of the best in the aftermarket. The shop I took it to, which at the time was one of the most respected alignment shops in the area. When I got the car back I found out that they installed everything wrong. They basically threw away the instructions and did it all their way. I just went and redid everything on my own and just made a note to never go to them or recommend them again.

One of our service writers lets his friends bring in their vehicles with their own parts for our techs to install. Out of the 5 times it has happened, I have had to order the correct parts each time. We tell the customer that their vehicle is stuck on a technician's rack and if they want to try and get the correct parts we will bill them straight time while the tech is left without a rack to work on.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: 04SE

Yea-like the name calling. That's what we are for trying to save a few bucks....not smart....not prudent......just idiots.

I just love BITOG....that's why I hang out here. It's the intelligence.

I don't think it's a bad thing to save money, but another person/business shouldn't suffer for your benefit. Either their price is fine or it's not. Want your own parts? Install them yourself, then you save money and the mech (or whoever) can take on a job where he's not getting cut out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back