Poor LED replacement bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up 2 pair of Sylvania replacement led bulbs (2 different styles). Their output was less than 1/2 the OEM output. The store guys told me they see a lot of them being returned. You would think a major player like Sylvania would have some sense of morality.

We have a company Prius that eats low beam headlights. The dealer has replaced the whole headlight assemblies and done the wiring upgrade. Now the low beams still fail but not as often. Some other Prius owners are having the same problem. The only difference with out Prius is that it's driven 7 days a week, often by 2 different drivers and in less than 3 years has been driven 270K+ miles.

Morality?

Ive been happy with my H11 bulbs built specifically for headlights, but there are many headlight base bulbs with lower output for stuff like fogs. Its also highly dependent upon reflectors.

Was there a completely wrong but traceable lumen rating, or is it your "calibrated eye"?

What color temperature?

#1) I work in an industry which uses a lot of lamps. Sylvanias are and have been complete NO GOs as far back as I can 1961 Magnavox Model Number 1ST657S
remember.

#2) Never loose sight of the fact that the LED light industry is nascent and darn near every company will outsource a variety of their catalog, much like oil filters and tires; so any expectation of product consistency can be tossed out the window.

#3) Just yesterday I was in a Pep Boys and saw that they had, of all things, a rack of candelabra based bulbs. That is a base for delicate interior lighting. When I saw they were all Sylvania I laughed aloud.

#4) HERE'S WHERE YOU'LL YELL AT ME: Do keep in mind that the LED light category of products is still very "toy". Expect to be treated like a child who wants stuff when dealing with them.

#4 is where questions of "morality" can be legitimately raised. You expect a company to affix their "good name" on good products.

Instead of paying retail you can get LED bulbs for interior car applications for a dime a piece or less.

Walmart sells a box of two LED bulbs for like 7 dollars.

I would not put LED headlamps on a car. I put some german halogen osram bulbs on my RAV4 and was happy with the light output.

I decided to replace the reverse light bulbs with LED. Noticed no increase in light output, but the lights physically "look" much brighter. I was disappointed.

I kept all the safety related bulbs as halogen, they seem to work better.

I replaced all the interior bulbs with LED, and they work much better for interior lighting, but they don't last long. For a dime a piece I keep a dozen or so on hand.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Instead of paying retail you can get LED bulbs for interior car applications for a dime a piece or less.

Walmart sells a box of two LED bulbs for like 7 dollars.

I would not put LED headlamps on a car. I put some german halogen osram bulbs on my RAV4 and was happy with the light output.

I decided to replace the reverse light bulbs with LED. Noticed no increase in light output, but the lights physically "look" much brighter. I was disappointed.

I kept all the safety related bulbs as halogen, they seem to work better.

I replaced all the interior bulbs with LED, and they work much better for interior lighting, but they don't last long. For a dime a piece I keep a dozen or so on hand.
I found on backup lights, that the Cree type didn't work with my reflectors. I got the Philips 921 Vision bulbs and they put more " light on the ground". It's a whiter light and the difference was very noticeable in the reverse camera. More lumens are no good if the light isn't focused correctly. They have been fine for about two years.

I work at a parts store and can tell you the sylvania zevo leds are a joke!

The cheaper non zevo sylvania ones like the 194 and festoon bulbs are pretty good but the 3157/4157 type bulbs are very dim compared to incandescent bulbs.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Led bulbs have no place in exterior fixtures designed for halogen bulbs, it's an optical mismatch since a halogen bulb produces a completely different pattern.

See Virgils post in this thread.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?328262-Automotive-LED-replacement-units

Holy SMOKES. I've never encountered a more priggish, self-righteous bunch of enthusiasts online. The atmosphere is just too much to take, with stuff like headlight puritans cheerleading an officious police officer's one-man crusade to right the outrageous wrongs wrought in automotive lighting. The cop in question mentioned plans to confiscate LED bulbs from a local AutoZone and arrest the manager for selling illegal equipment, hoping to thereby catch AZ corporate's attention. This is johnson-swinging of a pretty tall order, all for stuff that a simple 'fixit' ticket would deal with. I have half a mind to register there and post questions about the best place to buy blue dots and how to install them, it would be quite a dustup.

In 25 years of driving, my only notable lighting complaints are on-road light bars and bulbs that are outright missing or burnt out.

For all open-minded, interested persons, visit the forums at HIDplanet.com for a much more balanced, results-based approach. There's at least one forum member who puts a lot of thought into LED bulb retrofits (which he sells) and numerous other links to quality LED bulb sellers.

Waving the rule book under everyone's nose doesn't leave much room for scrupulous experimentation and innovation. Jeezum, you'd think Jonathan Edwards was a moderator over there...

Last edited:
Most of us have seen enough HID's in reflector housings, or rather, been blinded by them, that the tolerance is pretty low for the typical ignorance-based retrofit guy who thinks he's got "awesome lights" now.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Most of us have seen enough HID's in reflector housings, or rather, been blinded by them, that the tolerance is pretty low for the typical ignorance-based retrofit guy who thinks he's got "awesome lights" now.

HID's in halogen projectors are not good either, but LED's in halogen projectors can be good.

JHZR2 did an experiment with LED's in his Honda Accord projectors, it was very good with minimum glaze to opposite traffic.

I bought LED buls for 2014 Accord but didn't have a chance to install it yet. I will try the passenger side and drive around few blocks to see to it light up the street signs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back