Lincoln and Victor Oxy-Acetylene torch kits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen, I am in need of a small, portable oxy-acetylene cutting torch kit for smaller home owner/hobbyist use. It will be used 2 or 3 times a year for smaller jobs. The local Home Depot has a Lincoln brand cutting torch kit for $184, minus the cylinders. My concern is with the quality of this outfit. Is it any good? Or should I just spend the money and get a Victor? There are several cutting torch kits on e-bay, complete, w/cylinders. Cheap enough to make me very suspicious of their quality. Some of them, the cylinders are NOT DOT approved. I seriously doubt my local welding supply store would even fill them. I ask you to share your experiences here.

Go to Airgas, they have all kinds of sets. Radnor has a good Victor style set with full size regulators that fits the smaller bottles with regular fittings. They also have the bottles and small cart and will refill them (exchange).
You pay a bit more but its a much better tool with no drama when the bottles are empty. I have had my Radnor set for 10 years with no problems, I can highly recommend them.
You can haggle a bit with Airgas.

On that Lincoln, the brazing tip is a #4. Which means you need the regulators on 4 psi. Also, the tanks are empty. Most gas places only exchange tanks and don't fill while you wait.

Just remember the 1/7 rule. If your torch is drawing more gas than the bottle is capable of delivering without puking up liquid acetone. Either use a smaller torch or get a bigger bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back