Cooking Iowa Chops-On Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Basically, BUY A DARN THERMOMETER!! Best $10 you ever spent, I promise.
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6492-Origina...uct_top?ie=UTF8

A good cook doesn't need a thermometer when grilling. A good cook can touch the meat being grilled and know if it's rare, medium or well done.
Wow and this comes from a guy who uses a salt slop brine and some circus act cooking method cause he don't know how to grill.

I line up several with a metal skewer. Similar to using a roasting rack to hold ribs vertical, allowing more ribs to be cooked.

Go vertical!

A good cook doesn't need a thermometer when grilling. A good cook can touch the meat being grilled and know if it's rare, medium or well done.

Nonsense. All the top chefs recommend a thermometer. They use them as well. Top chefs dont want to serve undercooked or overcooked food.

Spend the $10 and realize that you are not always right. And there are better ways to do things.

there's a lot of meat i don't use a thermometer for but I don't hardly grill anymore, i have my cooking times down pat on my smoker. however, i do temp whole pork butt and whole pork loins.

i think i will try the standing 1" pork chops soon.

Nonsense. All the top chefs recommend a thermometer. They use them as well. Top chefs dont want to serve undercooked or overcooked food.

Spend the $10 and realize that you are not always right. And there are better ways to do things.

Top chefs or production chefs who are worried about legal exposure?

Ive only rarely used thermometers, that specifically being on large turkeys.

Admittedly I cant feel the meat (something to be learned). I use bad form and cut into it when I think its done... Usually pretty close on gut feel based upon size, temperature selected, timing in the heat, etc.

Im sure the feel of the meat chqanges as moisture and protein structures change with cooking.

Professional cooks aren't using thermometers to cook steaks and chops. They might be a good idea for backyard cooks.

I'm also not seeing the benefit of cooking chops on their side. Looks like roasting, not grilling.

Maybe this is a derivative of the common popular method of pan cooking steak, where it is customary to start cooking the fatty side on edge. Rack of lamb also responds well cooked on edge, again to take advantage of the fat.
- "To cook a steak, I always start by cooking it on its side, where there is a rim of fat on its narrow edge. I render it down so there’s good, flavorful fat in the pan for the rest of the cooking."
- "It looks stupid, but remember that fat is an insulator—it’s going to cook way slower than muscle will. We’re giving it a head start by rendering the beef, letting the molten fat baste flavor into the steak. Meanwhile, the edge gets a nice sear.
gallery_1_295_8164.jpg

grilledrackoflamb5.jpg

You can also try blasting them on the hottest part of the fire on each side for a few minutes until browned (keep an eye on them and move the around if there are flare-ups), then putting them up on a rack in the back of the grill until cooked to desired inside temperature.

Actually, I am always right. I can cook anything to any level (medium rare, medium or well) simply by touch. And if you knew even the basics of what happens when meat is cooked, you'd also understand how it works (hint: meat becomes firmer as it cooks). Real chefs use the 3 touch method, they don't stab the meat with a thermometer.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Wow and this comes from a guy who uses a salt slop brine and some circus act cooking method cause he don't know how to grill.

I regularly grill or smoke for large gatherings of 10+ people at a time. I have yet to have anyone complain about my cooking methods; everyone always comes back for more. But please, if your juvenile rants give you some sort of perverse satisfaction, then by all means, continue. I also invite you to post some of your creative cooking and grilling techniques if you feel you can do better. Quite frankly, your comments are childish at best and, since they don't contain any real constructive criticism, are nothing more than an indication of jealousy.

Originally Posted By: hatt

I'm also not seeing the benefit of cooking chops on their side. Looks like roasting, not grilling.

The fat from the edge renders down, creating an extremely moist chop with lots of flavor. This prevents large chops like the Iowa chops from getting dry, and it also means I don't have to end up with lots of char in order to get them done to medium.

Actually, I am always right.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
this is gold...

crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
The guy put up a nice post about a cooking method, why come and bash him?

I like that he took the time to take photos and share.

I'll be making some chops this weekend over charcoal and will try it out.

I don't use a thermometer either my Dad taught me the method of cooking chops and steaks by feel years ago.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Maybe this is a derivative of the common popular method of pan cooking steak, where it is customary to start cooking the fatty side on edge. Rack of lamb also responds well cooked on edge, again to take advantage of the fat.

grilledrackoflamb5.jpg

I hate you and your rack of lamb.
20.gif

Nothing my wife cooked came close to your rack of lamb.

Dang, drooling like didn't eat anything for a week !

Originally Posted By: JustinH
The guy put up a nice post about a cooking method, why come and bash him?

I like that he took the time to take photos and share.

+1.

Ive had my share of jabs with Pop but this is just silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back