Our Cannondale tandem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello:

Some pictures of my wife's and my tandem. She and I have had some great times on this bike! She doesn't ride anymore - and hasn't for the past 15 years - so I'm going to take it to a bike swap meet tomorrow and try to sell it. This makes me kind of sad, actually.

After my wife gave up riding, both our sons rode it with me when they were young teenagers. I actually had one of my greatest days ever on a bicycle with our oldest son, but that's a long story.

We bought this tandem new in 1991 for my wife and me, and like all our stuff I keep things in perfect condition. Check out the custom paint - a green to blue fade with flames! It's also had some component/gruppo upgrades over time.

As I said, it makes me sad we are selling it. It's always been reliable and has always gotten us home safely.

Just in case someone it interested in this machine, let me know ASAP. It's important to me that it goes to a good home and it not parked and abandoned outside, etc. We are located in the coastal mountains, exactly halfway between Monterey, CA and Santa Barbara, CA.

Scott

Back when I used to race bikes a bit (the stone age) we got a fixed gear tandem track bike in the shop and another racer and I took it out for a spin around town. Crazy fast and light but super scary since we didn't have any brakes and couldn't freewheel! Nice looking bike you have there!

Well cared for. Looks nearly new. You won't have any trouble selling it.
Just curious what caused her to not want to ride anymore? My lady had a spill on one of our rides and now it's like pulling teeth to get her to ride. It is sad, I hear you.

Nice bike and you do indeed keep it nice. Love the hub and shifter upgrades. Nice contours on the lugs and seat clamps. I just bought a 1998 Trek tandem that is in excellent condition, but not as nice as your 1991. What are you asking for it?

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Nice bike! You might want to mention something about the frame size (I am not sure how that works on a tandem, but I'm sure there is something to it).

Good point. It's what Cannondale called an XL/M combination (XL for captain, M for stoker). The captain could range from 5'10" to 6'6". The stoker from 5'4" to 6'0".

Originally Posted By: cjcride

Well cared for. Looks nearly new. You won't have any trouble selling it.
Just curious what caused her to not want to ride anymore? My lady had a spill on one of our rides and now it's like pulling teeth to get her to ride. It is sad, I hear you.

She originally stopped riding because the kids were young. We didn't want an inattentive driver taking both of us out. Also too, our youngest son (now age 29) was born blind and autistic. He will always live with us. We cannot take a chance that both of us get killed riding the tandem.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
Nice bike and you do indeed keep it nice. Love the hub and shifter upgrades. Nice contours on the lugs and seat clamps. I just bought a 1998 Trek tandem that is in excellent condition, but not as nice as your 1991. What are you asking for it?

I'd like to get $750, plus is has to go to a good home where it's not left outside and abandoned to rot in the sun and rain.

Scott

SLO_Town,

Your bicycles are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

The best bike I ever owned was a Gitane with sew-up tires, which dates me.

I currently ride a circa 1980's GIANT lugged steel frame (rescued) that I set up Rivendell (aka eccentric crackpot)traditional roadbike style: Brooks saddle with the large rivets, Nitto bar and stem, etc.. Its a hoot to ride.

Best of luck finding a new home for your tandem.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
SLO_Town,
The best bike I ever owned was a Gitane with sew-up tires, which dates me.

I had a Gitane as well! I do not remember the gruppo but I do remember it was purple (which really looked good. I chose that color on purpose). I bought it new. I'm guessing it was a '66 or '67! I loved that bike and used to ride it for some pretty long distances for a 14 year old!

Scott

Your beautiful Cannondale reminds me of a story that happened about 15 years ago to a couple from India that lived across the street. They had 2 beautiful Cannondale bicycles mounted to a roof rack on top of their Escalade, that was sitting in the driveway.

My wife and I were out in our driveway washing our cars, when she came out the front door, got into the Escalade, and drove off. Several minutes later she returned while we were cleaning up, putting everything away. I saw the garage door go up and looked at my wife. I could tell by the expression on her face she was thinking the same thing I was as she pulled into the driveway. I screamed at her at the top of my lungs, but she had the A/C and the radio on.

You guessed it. She tore the whole roof rack off, bent up the Escalade along with destroying the garage door, and tearing up the framework along with the stucco around the top of the door. Both bikes were total trash. She had no clue what just happened. Her husband came out screaming at her at the top of his lungs, in what I presume was some Indian dialect. I thought he was going to kill her! Finally calmer heads prevailed. I guess he finally felt sorry for her, as she was sobbing uncontrollably. Needless to say, it was an expensive mess to clean up! I never saw them replace the bikes.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Your beautiful Cannondale reminds me of a story that happened about 15 years ago to a couple from India that lived across the street. They had 2 beautiful Cannondale bicycles mounted to a roof rack on top of their Escalade, that was sitting in the driveway.

My wife and I were out in our driveway washing our cars, when she came out the front door, got into the Escalade, and drove off. Several minutes later she returned while we were cleaning up, putting everything away. I saw the garage door go up and looked at my wife. I could tell by the expression on her face she was thinking the same thing I was as she pulled into the driveway. I screamed at her at the top of my lungs, but she had the A/C and the radio on.

You guessed it. She tore the whole roof rack off, bent up the Escalade along with destroying the garage door, and tearing up the framework along with the stucco around the top of the door. Both bikes were total trash. She had no clue what just happened. Her husband came out screaming at her at the top of his lungs, in what I presume was some Indian dialect. I thought he was going to kill her! Finally calmer heads prevailed. I guess he finally felt sorry for her, as she was sobbing uncontrollably. Needless to say, it was an expensive mess to clean up! I never saw them replace the bikes.

This may sound too weird to be true, but my wife did the same thing with our teenage sons bike and his good friends bike. Both of them. These were nice bikes, the boys were experienced riders. Ripped them right off the car!

But here is the best part. Our son was contacted by Specialized bikes. They got his name somehow because he was a 13 year old who knew how to ride a mountain bike, and was knowledgeable about the latest mountain bike technology (which was evolving hyper fast at the time). Specialized wanted to bring several prototype, teen boy oriented, mountain bikes. They wanted our son to invite some of his riding friends to our house so they can look at and ride these new bikes and tell them what they like and don't like.

Our teenage son and his friend rode somewhere and my wife had to pick them up at somewhere. The boys loaded up both their really nice mountain bikes on the Yakimas on my wife's Volvo ( was a serious "roadie" at the time). They drive back to our house to meet Team Specialized.

My wife drives up the street and sees two Specialized vans in front of the house. Several bikes are parked outside, leaning on the vans. There are something like 6 Specialized guys there to do what they're supposed to do. Imagine the marvel they all felt with seeing Team Specialized parked out in front of our house, our son and his friend in the car, staring eagerly at the whole scene.

My wife waves and smiles at all the cute young guys, hits the opener, and....drives.....into.....the.....garage. Right there in front of a screaming Team Specialized, screaming in vain for her to stop. The AC was on, windows rolled up, sound system....

Ripped them right off the car... Right there in front of Team Specialized...

True story,

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back