Honda power steering fluid in a Toyota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I recently purchased a 2002 Camry with 102k miles. It had been impeccably maintained at the same Toyota dealership since new. Now that i own it will be doing all of the maintenance and repairs from here on out. A question i have is about the p/s fluid. The dealership uses a product made by justice brothers for their power steering service. I know that factory toyota fluid is a clear/yellow fluid yet the cap calls for dexron. The jb stuff they(local Toyota dealership) uses is this: justice brothers and it also is a clear/yellow color. The bottle says "HA TYPE" which i wonder if that means honda acura? Is this a mistake on the dealership/justice brothers reps. part or is it good for Toyota's too?

Next question is should i continue to use the ha type jb fluid or switch to a dexron fluid? I do know that particular dealership has used that same fluid for a looong time and there seem to be no problems with it.

Would love to hear any insight or opinions on using honda type fluid in a Toyota system and any repercussions of switching away from a Honda fluid in a vehicle with that has been using it for 50k+ miles.

Thanks
Dan

it probably doesn't matter in the camry
I think that the biggest repercussions maybe that dexron or other fluid that is dyed red, can tint plastic power steering reservoirs making it harder to read the level by just looking through/at the plastic.

I personally would go by the cap and use a good bottle of dexron. But on the same token, you don't need to service the ps that often, esp. if you get some fancier synthetic.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about justice bros ATF. Just a guess says the H/A is just tinted yellow to match the OEM ATF yellow tint fluid.

However, own an 01 Tacoma and it calls for Dex II/III as the replacement. That's exactly what I used in the form of Mobil D/M using the turkey baster method 3-4 years ago. It has worked as good as the factory fill. Dex II/III not a difficult spec to meet now. As read here, some even use MaxLife Full Synthetic ATF as a choice.

As for using Honda Type PSF, though I've never done it's likely ok in a Toyota calling for DexII/III. I wouldn't say the reverse is true though. In a Honda should stick with Honda OEM PSF or Prestone PSF specifically labeled for Honda/Acura. I have use the latter in Honda vehicles for many miles and it's worked fine.

But for the Toyota specing DexII/III, that should work fine and inexpensive.

Thanks for the input, i was hoping it would not have harmed anything using the ha type fluid. (It appears to be fine no leaks or noises) i think on this car i will just stick to what it has had vs switching to a traditional red dyed dexron lll atf.

I use Mobil D/M for my 2004 Tacoma PS system. I did a line flush with Castrol DexIII and the PS system developed a whine. Flushed with Mobil D/M and whine went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back