Best filter for extended oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
All three are good, you should also consider Fram Ultra. I say go with the cheapest. All will work well. How long of an interval are we talking?

Fram Ultra or Amsoil are far superior to the Napa Platinum and the Wix XP. Flip a coin depending on your cost, both the Amsoil and Ultra are made by champion labs

Everyone, and I mean, everyone here on BITOG is President of the Fram Ultra Filter Club.

But I've had great success running Purolator synthetic and Napa Platinum's for 3 OCI's for 25k total miles.

Originally Posted By: MotorsportsX
Wix xp
Napa platinum
Amsoil

They mentioned FU, don't forget the M1 filter also - unless it's fallen from grace.

...are you guys serious that fram is making a good filter?

huh?

How about you start by telling us what the application is.

For example, for many Euro engines with cartridge filters, I would say Fram is NOT a good option, based on the results I've seen.

yes its a cartridge filter in my bmw. i run platinum euro 10-12k. I have been using napa golds/platinums but after reading some more i see those aren't the best choice. (but the couple of uoa's i did didnt show any excessive contamination)

yes its a cartridge filter in my bmw. i run platinum euro 10-12k. I have been using napa golds/platinums but after reading some more i see those aren't the best choice. (but the couple of uoa's i did didnt show any excessive contamination)

Mann.

They are already suitable for the 30,000 km OCI (if needed) and they are the OEM for BMW

except i cant get them at the local oriellys....

i guess AA sells them now. i didnt know that.

that still leaves the question however, if there is a "better" filter out there.

Last edited:

that still leaves the question however, if there is a "better" filter out there.

I buy all my mann filters on amazon.

What problem are you trying to solve. What does 'better' mean?

Back in the 70s, my father used to run more than 30,000 kms on the ocod filters (20k miles) and oil. Carbed cars. No wonder some engines didn't went past 160k kms (100k miles). Oil was Shell Super 20w40, maybe the heydays to todays Formula or PYB.

Last edited:

"Better" is install a bypass filter system, so that you have "full flow" filter and a filter that works in parallel to do the role of fine filtering.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Back in the 70s, my father used to run more than 30,000 kms on the ocod filters (20k miles) and oil. Carbed cars. No wonder some engines didn't went past 160k kms (100k miles). Oil was Shell Super 20w40, maybe the heydays to todays Formula or PYB.

What is it about a carbureted car that makes a difference for the oil filter?

Yeah several as a matter of fact!

...are you guys serious that fram is making a good filter?

huh?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
There is a much larger differential between the quality of motor oil in the 1970s and today than there is between oil filters.

Really?

http://www.bhagyashreeaccessories.com/company-profile.html

https://www.puradyn.com/2-1-company-history/ https://www.puradyn.com/filter-elements/

http://www.ntzfilter.com/popup/slide26.asp

Of course, 99.97% effective filters at 2 microns were common in the 70s; along with patented bypass filtration that replenishes the TBN. (Sarcasm).

Father, forgive this man; he know not what he speak.

Any German cartridge oil filter is good for German engines, it can easily do 10-20k miles in a clean engine.

I used Hengst cartridge oil filter in 2000 E430 for up to 2 OCI of 10k miles each, it looked very good after 20k miles, no sign of any damage to the filter, I think it can be used for another 10k miles but I changed it because I had many filters in my stash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back