Let's talk and rate new car interior quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I thought it would be fun to have a discussion about interior quality and layouts from new vehicles and manufacturers. In just the past 8 years or so I would say vehicle's interior quality and attention to detail made huge progress, especially with domestics and Korean manufacturers.

Competition is always a good thing, so it's nice to see pretty much all manufacturers stepping up their game in this department. Chime in however you'd like. Here's a list of newer manufacturer vehicles (2013+) I've been in long enough to form an opinion.

Ford: I am not crazy about Ford's interiors and layouts in their new models, but my opinions vary a bit compared to the model. Everything LOOKS good, with nice layouts and pretty easy to navigate controls but quality parts and materials don't seem consistent with all areas of the interiors. Nice fitting and high quality plastics feel interrupted by cheap, hard, plastic bits that seem to carry creaks and rattles overtime. Air vent covers, dial knobs, little things like this feel cheap and cost cutting in some of the models I've driven.

Chevy: a bit uninspiring, but overall much better than before. I remember the 98-04 years of cavaliers, cobalts, impalas, and camaros, and boy have things changed for the better. Compared to ford I feel the new Chevy interiors will keep themselves together longer overtime. Like a said, styling to me is a little bland but parts feel solid and well made. Never liked base model seats in a lot of the Chevys I drove, but that's nitpicking.

Chrysler/Dodge: the best of the big 3 in my opinion. The Fiat merger definitely had a great deal to do with this. I drove/sat in a new 200, 2015 challenger and charger, and we own a very base model 2015 grand caravan. Best layouts, Uconnect offers the best infotainment experience, and overall best parts and materials. Fabrics are good, everything fits exceptionally well and is very tight. Every knob and dial has enough stiffness to make you feel like they will stay in good shape for a long time. Of course the verdict is still out as to whether or not that's the case.

Heading into work now but would also like to hear opinions on other brands, especially Hyundai and Kia which has been impressing me way more than I expected.

Toyota seems to be playing a long game of catch-up, or they just don't really need to care. I haven't been in any new toyotas 2014+ but a fair amount of 2011-2012 vehicles and was never impressed. Functional but everything felt fairly brittle and only average as far as materials go.

New Hondas and Subarus?

Volkswagen has always set benchmarks for their interiors and I believe even the Americanized Jetta and Passat finally received better interiors they were missing from before. Not 100% though, haven't been in one.

I'd like to hear any comments from the members here. Happy Friday!

Originally Posted By: jigen
Chevy: a bit uninspiring, but overall much better than before. I remember the 98-04 years of cavaliers, cobalts, impalas, and camaros, and boy have things changed for the better. Compared to ford I feel the new Chevy interiors will keep themselves together longer overtime. Like a said, styling to me is a little bland but parts feel solid and well made. Never liked base model seats in a lot of the Chevys I drove, but that's nitpicking.

I don't know how GM's trucks are lately, but I remember how nice the interiors were at one point, peaking roughly 1996, give or take. Not only were they nice looking inside, they were high quality. Jump ahead a few short years and they went to bargain basement quality.

I hate wide center stack and center consoles - glad to see a move to the driver centric PROPER designs of the 80's. If we can just grenade those displays ... I want my knobs back!. I had a Cruise rental and almost crashed multiple times just trying to operate basic functions! Garbage ergos.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: jigen

I don't know how GM's trucks are lately, but I remember how nice the interiors were at one point, peaking roughly 1996, give or take. Not only were they nice looking inside, they were high quality. Jump ahead a few short years and they went to bargain basement quality.

I have a 2016 Colorado Z71, and so far, I have no complaints about interior quality. Has a more "premium" feel compared to my old 2005 Colorado.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
If we can just grenade those displays ... I want my knobs back!.

Agree 100%. Some are worse than others when it comes to having basic functions built into the touch screen. My new truck is OK, in that it still has knobs for volume, tuner, fan, temp, etc. I've had rental cars that were much less user friendly where nearly everything was on the touch screen.

The interior of my 2015 Grand Caravan is pretty good. It may not be all soft touch materials (which I kinda like in a minivan anyways), but the fit and finish is very good and the plastics don't look like fisher price toys.
Another interior I like was in the 2015 Kia Optima. Very driver oriented and fit and finish looked excellent.

The interior of my Regal, and of the Buick Verano and convertible Cascada, are all very good. My Regal has 65K miles and everything is tight and rattle-free; there's a knob to turn on the stereo and manipulate the volume, and and a knob on each side for the temperature control; materials seem quite good and are holding up well.

What I like about the Regal's interior layout is the symmetry. The center stack holds the radio and A/C controls, and they are arrayed evenly, just as many buttons to the left as to the right. The instrument panel consists of two large round displays with the small rectangle of the Driver's Information Center in between. The balanced layout truly satisfies my sense of order.

My 2015 Honda Accord has a solid interior. I love the steering wheel and the controls are all easy enough to use. They did a good job of hiding how 'plasticy' everything really is.

They seem to have traded seat padding thickness for firmness. The seat isn't the most comfortable thing and I can feel the metal frame poking into my back when I lean on it a certain way. And the cheap floor mats are paper-thin and terrible. I wore a hole through the original mat with my heel in three months!

The interior on my 2014 SRT-8 is orders of magnitude better than that of my wife's 06 Charger, which, while having decent seats, has a bit of a tupperware interior for the most part, typical of that era of Dodge with a huge plastic dashboard and nothing being soft-touch.

I've had rentals from Toyota, GM and Ford in the last two years and would generally agree with the OP's assessment. The Toyota had the worst interior, but the GM vehicles always seem to have HVAC controls that lose the finish, ending up being big glowing chunks of clear plastic. The GM seats were better than the Ford ones, but the Ford gauges and HVAC controls were much better.

I hate wide center stack and center consoles

Couldnt agree more im 6ft 6..even a new camry is too narrow.. Narrow for legroom because of huge center console/radio. Terrible designs. Even the highlander seemed narrow in driver seat.. Do i need a sequoia?!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The interior on my 2014 SRT-8 is orders of magnitude better than that of my wife's 06 Charger, which, while having decent seats, has a bit of a tupperware interior for the most part, typical of that era of Dodge with a huge plastic dashboard and nothing being soft-touch.

I've had rentals from Toyota, GM and Ford in the last two years and would generally agree with the OP's assessment. The Toyota had the worst interior, but the GM vehicles always seem to have HVAC controls that lose the finish, ending up being big glowing chunks of clear plastic. The GM seats were better than the Ford ones, but the Ford gauges and HVAC controls were much better.

My buddy just went from a 2007 charger to a 2015 model and the fit and finish is night and day. I still did like the big cushy seats in the '07 though.

Ford Taurus interior is effectively narrower than its smaller siblings

ford-taurus-2013-interior-1366x768.jpg

Originally Posted By: novadude
I have a 2016 Colorado Z71, and so far, I have no complaints about interior quality. Has a more "premium" feel compared to my old 2005 Colorado.

That's good to know. I was in a 2001 or so Tahoe one time, when brand new, and it was absolutely awful inside, particularly in comparison to examples just a few years earlier. One thing that struck me was the pillar cladding inside was almost like it was tacked on, was flexy, and everything. The older ones seemed much firmer, with a better material quality. They looked worse new than the other ones did used.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I hate wide center stack and center consoles

Couldnt agree more im 6ft 6..even a new camry is too narrow.. Narrow for legroom because of huge center console/radio. Terrible designs. Even the highlander seemed narrow in driver seat.. Do i need a sequoia?!

I'm same height, and virtually all of today's cars are too narrow. Used to have a 2005 grand caravan that didn't have the console (though many would not like the column shifter). I checked out a 2014 Toyota minivan (Sienna? - shifter on the dashboard) that did not have it either, it would be a comfortable ride for either of us.

I would say all have stepped up their game.

Have a new Overland and by far it has the best interior of the SUV's we looked. The Alcantara leather, Uconnect, leather dash, and choice of materials they used are nice.

Best thing is the U-connect, so easy to use, not a kluge of knobs and dials.

Heated and ventilate seats and heated steering wheel rocks, wifey happy and loves her Hemi!

The 2- or 3-toned interiors that we used to see only in MB and BMW and other Euro makes are now found in US cars. The Park Avenue had two shades of tan and the (fake) wood trim. The Regal has tan seats and dark brown dash, and the (fake) wood trim, so still 3 shades. The Ford Taurus ARCOGraphite posted the pic of is a very welcoming interior, too.

I hated all-black and all-slate gray interiors.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
I would say all have stepped up their game.

Have a new Overland and by far it has the best interior of the SUV's we looked. The Alcantara leather, Uconnect, leather dash, and choice of materials they used are nice.

Best thing is the U-connect, so easy to use, not a kluge of knobs and dials.

Heated and ventilate seats and heated steering wheel rocks, wifey happy and loves her Hemi!

I agree - my wife has a 2014 Overland fully loaded and the interior rivals even the GMC Denali and Cadillac Escalades...which is amazing at the big price difference. This coming from a GM guy who works where these big GM SUVs are built lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: novadude

The new Colorado/Canyon interior is a huge improvement over the previous one IMO.

I think most interiors these days are pretty good as far as build quality, fit and finish, having small gaps etc. Sometimes though I don't like the material choice or general design. Lots of carpet and cloth actually seems cheaper than it used to be. Cheap looking woven cloths are pretty common. The cloth in my 1994 Ranger is honestly better than what you would find in most cloth seat equipped cars these days.

I love the interior in my M235i; I was always underwhelmed by the interior of my son's 328i. I had considered a new Mustang GT Premium as well as a 2015 Challenger R/T Plus, and both cars had very nice interiors. I can't say the same about the base Mustang GT interior; I usually love cloth interiors- but looking at the base interior all I could think of was: "A 1986 Hyundai Excel called; it wants its interior back."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back