Which Spin on for Remote Trans Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am adding a remote filter to my trans. I want to use a hydraulic filter, not an engine oil filter. The micron rating, flow rate, burst pressure etc. have all been cited as reasons that a conventional oil filter may not be as well suited as a hydraulic filter.

I have been looking at the Wix/Napa 1269: http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/51269.html

It filters down to 10 microns, has a bypass valve, uses 3/4-16 threads (hard to find in a hydraulic filter) and seems to be the right design. It's just small, I'd rather it had more filter element.

I've had no luck finding an online catalog to look up filter stats. If there was one similar to this Wix, but half to twice the size, it'd be perfect.

Thoughts?

I can understand you not wanting a "conventional" filter, I assume you mean cellulose based engine oil filter but I would recommend a Fram Ultra XG8A for this application, many users are using these successfully and it certainly has the specs to handle a transmission.

You get over 99% efficiency at 20 microns and 80% efficiency at 5 microns plus they are very durable with dual layer wire backed synthetic media so no issues with deformation and the cans and tapping plates are extra thick for plenty of burst pressure.

Also many people don't value the significance of the paint like I do but the Fram Ultras also have a thicker paint job than most filters which keeps them from rusting during extended intervals on vehicles, something crucial for a transmission filter which can see years of use. The paint is the corrosion barrier that prevents leaks. The Ultras flat out don't rust, especially with the sure grip on the bottom where most corrosion occurs on cheaper non coated filters with thin paint jobs.

If the XG8A is too big the next step down is the XG3600 which is a very popular and big filter in itself but slimmer.

I did some searching and have not found any alternatives to wix 51269.

I agree with Memphis. In 3/4-16 your best bet and options will be a filter speced for engine oil.

I can understand wanting the better micron rating that hydraulic filters typically carry tho... trouble is a common filter base is 1-12 and usually has 3/4 or 1 inch ports so kinda huge for a transmission cooler line.

If you can fit a FL1A size filter I would look at Baldwin B2-HPG which has a micron rating of 12. (even Baldwin specs it as a lube oil, hydraulic, or transmission filter)

or like Memphis said the 3600 (51516) size is good also.

Even a Fram Ultra is over kill for this application when you consider some transmissions go hundreds of thousands of miles with nothing but rock catcher's screens or felt filters with awful micron ratings.

That's a good point. There is no filter at all in this A340F transmission right now, and they're not known for being terribly unreliable. If anything, they're pretty good. Anything will be an improvement.

Originally Posted By: Gannet167
That's a good point. There is no filter at all in this A340F transmission right now, and they're not known for being terribly unreliable. If anything, they're pretty good. Anything will be an improvement.

yep and you will be surprised what a cut open oil filter looks like after some miles. I know I was after I installed my first trans filter.

If routed inline with the cooling loop burst pressure isn't an issue. those circuits do not see much pressure at all. I worry more about the filter being too restrictive.... for instance in my tundra the cooling loop is just a branch off of a lubrication feed. If I block the flow, it will just flow somewhere else.

Originally Posted By: meep
If routed inline with the cooling loop burst pressure isn't an issue. those circuits do not see much pressure at all. I worry more about the filter being too restrictive.... for instance in my tundra the cooling loop is just a branch off of a lubrication feed. If I block the flow, it will just flow somewhere else.

And you won't have to worry about flow when using full synthetic media

I realize this thread is 6 months old, but what filter heads are you guys using for these, and where are you getting them?

Thanks,
Mike

I think the popular line of 1"-12 spin-on filters is the best choice. Donaldson offers a vast array of filter heads with low and high pressure bypass valves, and no bypass valve if you prefer (I wouldn't recommend it).

SP15/25 Components

You can get short filters or tall, cellulose or synthetic media, low or high efficiency, even water removal.

Been using XG16's for three years - 10k or less, drain plug on pan - easy and clean ... I'm about to do the pan filter/5 qts ATF and will then add a MagnaFilter between filter and remote base ...

I bought mine off amazon. I think it was made by derale or something like that. The first filter I had on it was a Mobil M-209 if memory serves. I rad that for at least 15k and then swapped to a wix hydraulic filter. it's smaller but I was worried about how long the oil filter would last. I haven't cut it open yet but plan to as soon as I can get around to it.

-M

The Derale I got has four inlets - was going to put temp/pressure sensors - but dropped that idea and plugged. I do run it behind a Tru Cool LPD cooler - logic is things get trapped and come out of cooler in a cluster so the filter stops that.
Even though the XG16 has served well for 3 years - just added a MagnaFilter between filter/base. I did the second pan filter since my B&M drain plug started to leak. I tossed the nylon ring and put a copper crush gasket (M14) on each side of pan. Got it tighter than nylon could take. Going forward - will do 4 quarts and and one XG16 per year ... That takes 20 minutes ... And CLEAN ... No more nasty pan mess ...

I also would just go with a conventional filter. Many many people here do it issue free plus the remote filter kits seem to insinuate a conventional filter is the filter to use. Plus, you mentioned how the 3/4"-16 hydraulic filter was hard to find.

This was a while ago, but we saw a TG8A here that had been on a 4runner for I want to say 25-30k.. It looked great. Aside from being wet from ATF, it looked new. The pleats were still straight.

They aren't under a lot of pressure in this application. I kept the M1-209 that came off my truck recently to cut open at some point to observe condition on. If it looks good, I'd rather go with something like that.

I just put a Parker 3-micron 20GPH hydraulic filter and WIX filter head in my Lincoln Mark VIII. The filter was not cheap ($24), but should last half of forever, given that it is meant for much higher capacity systems than a transmission.

Going to monitor results, and start using this in more of my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I just put a Parker 3-micron 20GPH hydraulic filter and WIX filter head in my Lincoln Mark VIII. The filter was not cheap ($24), but should last half of forever, given that it is meant for much higher capacity systems than a transmission.

Going to monitor results, and start using this in more of my vehicles.
That is way cheaper that the Magenfine filters over the life of the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back