School me on relays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checked the battery voltage when my wife got home from work and it is 12.9V. I've pulled the ground off the battery and will test the voltage periodically tonight and then reconnect it in the morning and see how it goes.

I've also had the battery tested at autozone. They said it was ok, same with alternator. I put a new battery in it and the problem was the same.

I wish it would throw a CEL code.

You can sign up to Toyota TIS for a small fee and then you can use the troubleshooting instructions in the online repair manual for fuel system, EGR, etc. there.

When the vehicle is difficult to start, have you checked the reading of the coolant temp sensor? If the sensor is reading incorrectly, the vehicle may use the wrong assumptions and this can result in a hard start.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
When the vehicle is difficult to start, have you checked the reading of the coolant temp sensor? If the sensor is reading incorrectly, the vehicle may use the wrong assumptions and this can result in a hard start.

It's quite possible, which is another reason why OP should subscribe to Toyota TIS for how to locate, remove, and troubleshoot the sensor.

I broke down and took it to my local tire and car repair shop. The guy there said it sounds like fuel pump but he'll check things out. I'm heading to Italy on vacation don't have time to troubleshoot and educate myself on all these sensors right now.

I'll let you know what they say.

You could also have a slightly leaky injector. This will let pressure out of the fuel rail as it sits-- pressure that has to pump back up. If it flood the cylinder it leaks into that will also make starting harder.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You could also have a slightly leaky injector. This will let pressure out of the fuel rail as it sits-- pressure that has to pump back up. If it flood the cylinder it leaks into that will also make starting harder.

Does my engine have a cold start injector? I've read that can cause my problems but I don't see a part listed on Rockauto that would meet the description of cold start injector.

They haven't looked at it yet. Maybe tomorrow. I'll be in Europe for a week and won't be posting until I return.

They changed out the fuel pump assembly and strainer. It's still sluggish to start first start of the day but not as bad as it was.

It sounds like it wasn't the fuel pump. Perhaps you have dirty fuel injectors and you need to use some fuel-system-cleaning treatment. Also check the coolant-temperature sensor.

Nobody has mentioned the fuel pressure regulator. These symptoms match. If the fuel system leaks pressure down overnight it can often be due a leaky regulator. Depending on the vehicle, they are often found directly attached to the fuel rail then the return line to the tank, provided it's a return type fuel system. 10 minutes to replace, about $70 to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back