2016 F150 5.0 V8 Oil questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a 2016 F150 with the 5.0L V8. I plan on changing out the factory fill early. Maybe around 1000 km. Then at 5000 km and again at 10000 km for my first three changes. At that point I'll be trying to follow the oil life monitor. I'll be using Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 and Fram Ultra XG10575 filter.

Is it ok to change that early and to a full synthetic right off the bat? Do I have to worry about seating the rings with conventional oil? No issues with a synthetic oil for break in? I assume it comes with semi-synthetic from the factory.

This 5.0 is quite an improvement over my 2007 5.4L. Much smoother and more powerful. Even with 3.55 gears

Engines break with any oil. Break in happens. Don't forget the differential ,it does well when you get the break in crud out.

We need a race report on the 5.0 vs the 2.7 drag race.
From a roll to 100 KPH,,, No bias and only the truth!!! It will be good for the break in.

Will check out the uoa section for uoa's for sure!

We haven't raced. But my nephews 2.7 is beating me for fuel economy so far. But I'm doing the "drive it like you stole it" break in for now... Won't worry about fuel economy for a while on mine. The v8 sounds too good to drive around nicely! Likes to be revved yet can lug around very easily.

Originally Posted By: advocate
Can't wait to see how it does with my trailer. 5000 lb dry and empty 26' travel trailer. Probably closer to 6500+ lbs loaded. Will be letting her rev then!

Seems like a heavy trailer for a 1/2 ton pickup even if its rated for that. It will tend to push the truck around. Thus why I have 3/4 ton pickups.

Hardly... Half tons these days are rated for over 10k, some up to 12 with the right set up. A loaded trailer at 6.5k will be fine for that truck.

Last edited:
6500 is going to be a walk in the park for that truck.

My 04 titan pulls 7000 with regularity and authority- 9000 on occasions

You can go to synthetic early (at 1K) with no issues especially if you are putting a load like that on it.

UD

Originally Posted By: advocate

Is it ok to change that early and to a full synthetic right off the bat? Do I have to worry about seating the rings with conventional oil? No issues with a synthetic oil for break in? I assume it comes with semi-synthetic from the factory.

This 5.0 is quite an improvement over my 2007 5.4L. Much smoother and more powerful. Even with 3.55 gears

Yes, no and no! Sounds like a great plan, welcome to the 5.0 club....

Thanks guys! Just loving this truck and engine so far! Wanted to make sure I was doing her good. The trailer should be good to pull with this truck. My old truck (2007 F150 5.4 v8 4 speed auto) pulled it without much fuss. This truck is actually 500 lbs lighter, has about 20 ft lbs of torque more at the same rpms as the old truck, and has 85 more hp. Plus with built in sway control and brake controller... Like I said - really looking forward to working this V8!

Within my New 2014 5.7L I changed the FF @ 1K miles w/M1 AFE 0W-20 then 2500 w/M1 0W-30 then 3500 w/M1 0W-30 then at 5000 w/M1 0W-30 then @ 10K w/PUP 5W-30 and following OLM.

The new 5.7L Hemi had alot of clicks/clacks/ticks with the M1 after a switch to PUP 5W-30-->Recommendation from my service mgr. The 5.7L quieted way down. Much happier with the PUP choice.

Now I am running 4Qts PUP 5W-30 & 3Qts SRT 0W-40->for the extra Moly. the Hemi seems to really enjoy this combo. {No Drop in MPG} compared to the 20Wt or 30Wt.

Great advice on the rearend drain: I did mine at 10K miles with Red Line!

Great Choice with the 5.0L

Only thing I've noticed with towing is the oe rotors and pads in front are garbage for towing I tow 8k several times a week i changed to some drilled and slotted front rotors with the ford super duty pads and it is way better with them than oe just a consideration for the future and I wouldn't worry about changing the oil that early run it 5k dump it and start normal OCI's this engine really isn't picky about oil but I do agree with ct8 I dumped my diff at 12k and there was a lot of break in junk in there since then I've checked it several times and barely anything on the magnet

I'd suggest keeping factory fill in until 3,000 kilometers but that's up to you. I see no point in dumping factory fill early & changing the oil frequently. Just seems like a waste of oil to me. I vote to run factory fill to 3,000 then switch to Pennzoil Platinum with the OLM.

IMO the engine will break in better if you leave the factory fill in and follow the OLM. I would also stay with a semi synthetic until 30k and then switch over to full synthetic. I feel these modern engines and their low tension oil rings have a hard time seating with early changeover to full synthetic.

Branson: If your little comment was directed at me with the changing the oil early and being a Waste of Oil-->In my case the oil is always re filtered through 15 micron filters and reused. So there is NEVER a waste of good synthetic oil. This was and is going to be my first ever new Truck and I followed the detailed instructions of a very popular Hemi Builders advice.

As for changing over to a 100% synthetic to early in an engines life? IMO there are hundreds of different engine designs that come filled with synthetic oil from the factory. So this tells me all I need to know.

Right now this advice looks to have been spot on: With 8500 miles going between OCI according to my OLM. There has been ZERO oil used during this OCI.

My personal vehicles, I changed out the factory fill oil at 1000 miles. The reason I noted tbr manufacture date and saw that truck was sitting somewhere for almost 8 months before I bought it. Plus imagine all the stops, starts and never up to operating temp. I feel better. I then went to my usual oil change intervals. I don't use the oil reminder. It doesn't make sense. In my company trucks, I will sit and idle for hours, sometimes 8 hours and we are required to get the oil changed every 5000 miles, sometimes that thing still says 50%. I am old fashioned, oil is cheap. I change it when I want. That being said. I got alot of new company trucks, never changed the original oil until 5000 miles, they all went to 130,000 + miles and none used oil between changes at every 5,000 miles.

I have a 14 Mustang GT with the 5.0 and changed the factory fill oil at 4,600 miles and one year from the build date on the inside of the door.

Second change was with 6,600 miles on the oil and one year from last oil change.

Third change was with 7,200 miles on the oil and one year from last oil change. This is the change I'm currently on.

I use Motorcraft 5W-20 blend and the Motorcraft 500s filter.

The engine uses no noticeable oil and looking down the fill hole in the valve cover, everything is perfectly clean. The oil stays very clean during the oil change intervals.

I use the OLM on my car and since my car is not a daily driver, it usually tells me to change once I'm close to hitting a year of use. I would just use the OLM on your truck. I don't think there is any benefit to changing the oil early.

Wayne

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back