Aerocharger Turbo for Harley's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't know of these:

http://aerocharger.com/turbo-systems/motorcycles/harleydavidson/

Seems like it would make an air cooled engine run too hot. Looks like these are bolt-on kits for stock engines. Wouldn't you want to reduce compression a wee bit as well as beef up a bunch of stuff internal. They're showing over a 50% increase in stock hp and torque and dyno pulls appear to confirm it, which is awesome, but I'd be afraid of my engine blowing up if it was stock.

I may not know what I am talking about. So this is my chance to learn.

I guess I have to recognize that some people just like Harleys, because both the stock numbers and the after turbo numbers from this video just seem weak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I2ovhguVnM

If you want something that is touring capable, with power, and probably for less money and headache, why not just get a BMW K1600GTL?

I suppose the answer is "because that wouldn't be a Harley".

That setup looks like it would be pretty laggy. But a small turbo to try to make up for it at the expense of power and low turbo efficiency. Low boost setup.

They are cooling it but dumping lots of fuel down it.

I was going to put an Aerocharger 66 (the bigger model) on the Bug at one point, but couldn't find out enough about long-term reliability or ... anything else, really. Not many people are using them to provide feedback.

Junk! There are a lot cheaper mods that can be made that will give you a far more reliable and responsive bike. I'd much rather do a big bore and cams with a good tune than have that junk on my bike.

You can't put too much on a stock Twin Cam without some mods. The big fear is that the stock crank, which is a press fit, can scissor. When people build really stout Twin Cam engines, they have been removing them and welding them.

From their web page;
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
Designed to turn heads at the bar, but engineered to be at home on the open road this turbo system will leave a permanent smile on your face.

Really, that's their lead in. If it's aimed at that crowd, I doubt the thing will get used much.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I guess I have to recognize that some people just like Harleys, because both the stock numbers and the after turbo numbers from this video just seem weak.

If you want something that is touring capable, with power, and probably for less money and headache, why not just get a BMW K1600GTL?

I suppose the answer is "because that wouldn't be a Harley".

Here we go again, another post from yet another person who will bash a bike brand he doesnt own, nor ever will for no good reason and baseless statements like "touring capable" for "less money".
I wonder when the last time he cruised on a new Harley touring bike and a BMW at interstate speeds of a true GPS 80 to 85 MPH?
Answer? Never

My 14 Road King will effortlessly cruise all day at 80+ MPH and not even feel a vibration. My passenger/wife would object me getting rid of it because she is so darn comfortable that it scares me when she dozes off as we ride.

BTW, I would love to have a BMW or FJR1300 in my garage too. Because I like all bikes and the functions different ones can provide.

Last edited:
I get your point....but....in terms of odds/statistics and raw numbers there will be plenty of takers. This is a cruiser nation. HD outsells everything else combined...by multiples....and that's just new ones. Then consider two-to-three times the number of used HD's are selling for every new sale, and not one of them will be left stock or as purchased. There will be plenty of takers. I'll wager this guy will have them lined-up doing installs at rally after rally.

I've used the Aerocharger on past projects. It's a unique design that has a self contained oil system. That's a big deal for many small engines. It even works well on 2 stroke engines!

It also has no wastegate. The boost is controlled by moving the variable nozzle guide vanes.

In addition, the compressor/turbine assembly is extremely light weight when compared to conventional turbochargers.

There was NO LAG, NONE, ZIP, NADA.

That's the good. The bad is that I had failure after failure. The longest lasting one was the latest version before the ceramic bearing models. Even then, it's lifespan was about a year on a street car. Also, these units have sheet metal nozzle guide vanes and the spot welds failed.

The good news is that these issues seems to have been resolved now, with the ceramic bearings and they now flatten the guide vane shafts before welding sheet metal to it.

I absolutely love the feel of an Aerocharged engine. Done properly, it's as responsive as humanly possible, while still providing great high end HP. (the variable nozzles allow such a wide torque curve, as they are non restrictive at high RPM)

http://aerocharger.com/aerochargers/53series/

turbo-damage4.jpg

DSC_0008-3.jpg

turbo4.jpg

Last edited:
66CUT_Diag.jpg

The compressor and turbine are "overhung" and back to back. The bearings are all on the cold side. This is very different than a normal turbo, where the bearings are near the turbine.

The unit is quite compact, and uses a total loss oil system. It has a couple of wicks, that bring an absolutely tiny amount of oil to the bearings. It probably takes years to use up the few ounces of oil in the sump. An annual "top off" is more than enough. The oil is unique to the Aerocharger and being as this is BITOG, the special oil is rumored to be Mobil 1 SCH 630.

In all the time I used Aerochargers, I never once had to add oil.

Last edited:
I've never understood why people want to try to make Harleys fast and/or more powerful. They aren't designed to be fast and powerful. Adding a turbo, or other high performance parts may boost their output somewhat, but it also makes them unreliable. If you want something more powerful, buy something other than a Harley. There are plenty of other makes and models that STOCK are more powerful and faster than even a souped up Harley, and it'll be much more reliable...and you'll save a ton of $$$...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I've never understood why people want to try to make Harleys fast and/or more powerful. They aren't designed to be fast and powerful. Adding a turbo, or other high performance parts may boost their output somewhat, but it also makes them unreliable.

Actually, none of that is the case with the Aerocharger. One does not use the additional power often, and the additional mid range torque reduces operational time at high RPM. The result is a very powerful engine, without a reduction in overall reliability.

It's good to remember that mildly turbocharged engines don't have more stress on the internals. The reason is simple: The more dense Air/Fuel mixture burns longer. Peak pressure is not significantly increased, but the push on the combustion stroke is much longer. The result is no significant additional strain on power transmitting parts.

The additional heat load is a factor, and with air cooled engines, it's good to manage CHT's. For a brief high power run, it's a non issue. A 1/4 mile run is not a problem.

Nor is it unusual for a Harley engine to produce double it's original RWHP with an Aerocharger. That's not "may boost the output somewhat", that's double, and reliable.

As for "WHY" , there are many reasons. One may be that a person owns the bike already, likes it, and wishes it had more power. Another might be "bragging rights". And, of course, the bike might actually need more power afterall. High altitude performance is another reason.

graphic_aerocharger_dyno_sheet.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I've never understood why people want to try to make Harleys fast and/or more powerful. They aren't designed to be fast and powerful. Adding a turbo, or other high performance parts may boost their output somewhat, but it also makes them unreliable.

Actually, none of that is the case with the Aerocharger. One does not use the additional power often, and the additional mid range torque reduces operational time at high RPM. The result is a very powerful engine, without a reduction in overall reliability.

It's good to remember that mildly turbocharged engines don't have more stress on the internals. The reason is simple: The more dense Air/Fuel mixture burns longer. Peak pressure is not significantly increased, but the push on the combustion stroke is much longer. The result is no significant additional strain on power transmitting parts.

The additional heat load is a factor, and with air cooled engines, it's good to manage CHT's. For a brief high power run, it's a non issue. A 1/4 mile run is not a problem.

Nor is it unusual for a Harley engine to produce double it's original RWHP with an Aerocharger. That's not "may boost the output somewhat", that's double, and reliable.

As for "WHY" , there are many reasons. One may be that a person owns the bike already, likes it, and wishes it had more power. Another might be "bragging rights". And, of course, the bike might actually need more power afterall. High altitude performance is another reason.

graphic_aerocharger_dyno_sheet.jpg

You can't increase an engine's output with any type of forced induction without putting at least some stress on the engine....there's no such thing as a free lunch....

That. Some boosted engines can easily double the factory power with few problems (3.8 Buick, 5.9 Cummins, 2.3 Ford, 2JZ Toyota), some will blow up just past the factory output (Poncho 301).

You can't increase an engine's output with any type of forced induction without putting at least some stress on the engine....there's no such thing as a free lunch....

No question there is more stress. I did not word my response well. I meant to say that the "reciprocating" parts do not see much more stress with a mildly turbocharged configuration. For the reasons I listed above (the slower rate of combustion) and the lower typical RPM for a given output.

Clearly, the transmission and clutch do see much more stress!

And, with high boost, we can put enough pressure in the cylinder to shorten connecting rods!

But on a Harley, done properly, it's a low boost, mild setup. Known to work well.

All the money spent on motor "performance" work on a Harley will only make it faster then someone else's Harley. Spending $5000 for either head work, pistons, cams, and exhaust, still will give you questionable reliability. The same money spent for the turbo will shorten the motor lifespan. They aren't designed to be hot rodded and hold together, long term. If you feel the need for speed and already have a Harley, spend the 5k on a stock second hand Hyabusa. You won't have to do anything to it, and it will probably have more oomph then you will ever be able to handle.,,

That's an honest answer!
And in fact good philosophy. Want a faster bike, buy a faster bike.
For example, I never understood the people putting all kinds of performance mods on a GS500. Spend all the money you want, it's still a GS500. I have one and I love it, but wouldn't spend its price in mods to make it 10-20% more powerful. But I think I'll still keep it if I 'upgrade', it's a great bike for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back