Are Nankgang tyres any good

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_20160508_071133_zps29zm47us.jpg

here's a magazine test inclding Nankang tyres in 15".

Second worst result in the wet, right before GT Radial

Don't get the federal tyres either...

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I'm also having trouble finding H or higher rated tyres

Not needed with the Quatrac 5, since it's legally a winter tire (has the mountain and snowflake symbol), so it's ok to use the lower speed rating.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
it's indeed not an easy size, compounded by the H or V rating...

Michelin has the XDX if you can get them for a fair price...

Oh yeah i can get them for a great price, 660 EURO FOR A SET OF 4 !!!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Vredestain Quatrac 3, it's an all weather tyre so it should have softer compound compared with summer tyres in that size, and better grip, especially in wet.

The Quatrac 3 has since been replaced by the Quatrac 5
smile.gif

Otherwise, you'll have to buy from a US site and find one that will ship internationally.

Well it's on sale here, maybe old stock. Uniroyal Rain expert 3 is available in that dimension too, and cheap.

How about Maxxis MA510E, the reviews look good even thought they are Chinese.
i've had Uniroyals reccomended before i'll look into them

Maxxis == Cheng Shin, they've been making tires for pushbikes and motorbikes before they broke into car and truck tires. I'd feel OK with them. CST also has a joint venture with Toyo that makes some of their more plebian tires.

it's indeed not an easy size, compounded by the H or V rating...

Michelin has the XDX if you can get them for a fair price...

Oh yeah i can get them for a great price, 660 EURO FOR A SET OF 4 !!!
laugh.gif

you said you wanted to keep things original.... those are the tyres you'd put on a fast car in 1975, in that size...

only V-rated tyre in that size aswell!

Vredestain Quatrac 3, it's an all weather tyre so it should have softer compound compared with summer tyres in that size, and better grip, especially in wet.

smile.gif

Otherwise, you'll have to buy from a US site and find one that will ship internationally.

Well it's on sale here, maybe old stock. Uniroyal Rain expert 3 is available in that dimension too, and cheap.

But not with a H-rating.

Uniroyal is not so good in the dry, at least not until the thread wears down some. They come with more thread than usual which does help against aquaplaning. I'd probably get those anyway.

My son had a Nanny separate in the ply stack with half life - (Mustang) - replaced with Goodyear GT - doing great

Won't go with Nankangs then, i do drive it in the rain every now and then, but even in the winter it might only rain twice or 3 times a month, during the summer it doesn't rain at all, i don't have to change them urgently though, it's warm and sunny until late september here

if all that's wrong with them is ahardening and thus less grip in the wet I'd keep the yokohamas. Chances are very real that the new tyre will not be better.

You don't want to / cant't run 14"? 195/60R14 has the same circumference but you get loads of quality tyres to chose from with an H-rating

smile.gif

But not with a H-rating.

Uniroyal is not so good in the dry, at least not until the thread wears down some. They come with more thread than usual which does help against aquaplaning. I'd probably get those anyway.

You're right, Rainexpert is best when bit wear on them for dry tarmac, but great for rain. I've used them for winter driving, great for those really cold winter mornings when it hits 6*c.

Last edited:
I have just bought a set of Uniroyal RE (manufactured somewhen in '14) for my 900 turbo in 195/60R15 - they were dirt cheap for a V-rated tyre (48€).
https://turboseize.wordpress.com/2016/04/18/winterreifen-sommerreifen-regenreifen/
They're good in the wet, rather not so good in the dry. Dry handling definitely suffers, there is noticeable understeer (well, not really understeer, as in understeer if you push a car to hard and it slides straight forwards... more of a steering delay, and you have to turn the steering wheel earlier and wider than expected, though there is no sliding around whatsoever). But aquaplaning resistance is just amazing. Hit a flooded section of the road at 120km/h, and felt the water slow me down, but absolutely NO floating/skidding... just drove through. That could have ended much worse.

Last year, one guy in the german Saab club used Uniroyals on a track day: after 300 only partly wet km they were completely gone. (Guess he had expected slightly different wheather.)

So... they are absolutely great at what the advertising promises: they are the quintessential rain tyre. But they're not so good at anything else. What makes them so great in the water - high void ratio and absurd tread depth - also makes them terrible in the dry.
This is not a tyre I'd run year round if I lived near the mediteranen sea. If I lived on the british isles, on the other hand...

Vredestein Q3 can still be had in some sizes. I have these on my other Saab. They offer crisp handling (for an all season) and are very controllable at the limit; but their limit is set not very high. On a dry warm road, a Michelin ES will outperform them vastly, on a wet road, a Michelin Alpin will inspire more confidence. They're better than a Michelin alpin on dry, warm roads, though. :)
Biggest drawback to the Q3 is their ultrastiff sidewalls - while that makes them handle well (for an all season, that is...), ride quality is nonexistent. I have to reduce tyre pressure down to 2 bar, while I run the Michlins at 2.6 bar and the Michelin still feel more comfortable. This reduced pressure means that the Vredesteins get hotter and wear faster.
Definitely one of the more "summery" european all seasons, but still a compromise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back