Wandering Chevy Fuel Gauge, Possible Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Silverado shortbox with 26-gallon tank. My fuel gauge started acting up, but Techron (complete fuel system cleaner, not FI cleaner) seems to have fixed it so far.

I was idling in park recently and noticed the "Low Fuel" light. The needle had swung from just under 1/2 to E and then to F and back to where it started. This kept happening intermittently.

I know the sensor is part of the in-tank pump assembly, and changing it requires dropping the tank or removing the bed. I also remembered Techron claiming to clean malfunctioning fuel level sensors, so I put a 15-gallon dose in.

The gauge acted wacky for another day or two afterwards, but then stopped. I ran it down near E and added a large and a small bottle with a fillup. I'm down near 1/4 now, and the gauge has worked normally the whole time.

Before I start pulling things apart I would give it another Techron dose. You might get lucky.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Before I start pulling things apart I would give it another Techron dose. You might get lucky.

+1 I would consider doing two tanks of Berryman than two tanks of techron. I had a similar issue with my Equinox that it should show as empty when I would first start it then 1/2 a tank then a 1/4. Also consider changing the fuel filter too if it hasn't been done in some time.

The Techron cleans the suplhur deposits off the sending unit's contacts and, in my experience, works 90% of the time.

You may want to consider using Top Tier gas to help prevent this from happening again and/or run a maintenance does of Techron every oil change or so.

I started using Shell again last fall, but went a long time on Kroger gas. I have used Gumout Regane about once per year--I think I'll switch to Techron for periodic cleaning.

The gauge is still working fine near the end of the second Techron-treated tank.

I have had good luck with Techron, I use 2 x treats 20 gallon size bottles in a full 20 gallon tank. Time is your friend, the longer it sits in your tank the better the result.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I have had good luck with Techron, I use 2 x treats 20 gallon size bottles in a full 20 gallon tank. Time is your friend, the longer it sits in your tank the better the result.

I was just thinking about the time factor, since I drove more than usual in the last week.

I'm between 1/4 and E, and got a little wandering this morning when I pulled into a parking space. The needle never hit E or 1/2, where before it swung the whole range of the gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back