Firestone Complete Auto Care Drops Kendall

Status
Not open for further replies.
QS is what Walmart uses for their standard oil change service. It's about $18 or so for their Pit Crew special.

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Kendall. QS probably offered them a lower bulk cost so they switched.

Another victory for big business, at the detriment of the consumer.

QS is still a fine product. I wouldn't say it is a detriment to the consumer with the exception that they will be paying the price for a conventional oil change versus a syn-blend that they previous offered.

Yes!

Another poster that is a failure in comprehension and fell for a label.

Could the Firestone deal happened because Hendrick is no longer pumping QS in their service departments and SOPUS needed a national partner for QS like how Pennzoil is stocked by Jiffy Lube?

Originally Posted By: nthach
Could the Firestone deal happened because Hendrick is no longer pumping QS in their service departments and SOPUS needed a national partner for QS like how Pennzoil is stocked by Jiffy Lube?

Believe it or not the Jiffy Lube franchisee chooses what PCMO they want to use. Until last year the Jiffy Lube's in the Phoenix area used a "synthetic blend" from a bulk distributor. Now they use Formula Shell or Pennzoil.

I guess they should have just stayed with "synthetic blend". Because it was better according to the logic posted on this thread.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Believe it or not the Jiffy Lube franchisee chooses what PCMO they want to use. Until last year the Jiffy Lube's in the Phoenix area used a "synthetic blend" from a bulk distributor. Now they use Formula Shell or Pennzoil.

I guess they should have just stayed with "synthetic blend". Because it was better according to the logic posted on this thread.

Jiffy Lube is owned by SHELL, therefore they are most certainly not able to "choose" what PCMO they want, though they likely have a choice as to the breadth of their product portfolio which falls inside the SOPUS brand family.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Jiffy Lube is owned by SHELL, therefore they are most certainly not able to "choose" what PCMO they want, though they likely have a choice as to the breadth of their product portfolio which falls inside the SOPUS brand family.

Really? http://www.myjiffy.com/mobil-rebate.php

http://oilchangenova.jiffylube.com/
"Our shops feature quality conventional motor oils, Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic motor oil, and other bottled oils including Pennzoil and Castrol."

Again once a franchise is purchased from Jiffy Lube the franchisee can use any PCMO/HDEO they wish.

That's bizarre, as they most certainly ARE owned by SHELL, and with a franchise there are usually rules regarding spec products dictated by the parent.

https://www.jiffylube.com/about/history

Quote:
Headquartered in Houston, Texas, Jiffy Lube® International is a wholly owned, indirect subsidiary of Shell Oil Company. Jiffy Lube service centers are 100% franchise-owned. So despite being a national corporation, each location is locally owned by people living in your community.

Also found this:

Quote:
Obligations and Restrictions: A franchised Jiffy Lube service center must be under the personal supervision of franchisee, or under the personal supervision of a manager who has successfully completed the operations training course. The franchisees cannot sell or offer to perform any product or services that would detract from the Jiffy Lube concept. That is, the franchisee cannot offer major engine overhauls, transmission overhauls, muffler installation, automobile painting, or any other services that are not related to the services approved by Jiffy Lube. The franchisee cannot sell or offer to perform a lube-only service, or a lube-oil-filter only service, or an oil and filter only service other than as approved under the VOCP service. The franchisee cannot sell any automobile parts or supplies that are not related to the services Jiffy Lube offers, or any non-automobile related products or services, unless the parts or supplies or products or services are approved.

Anyways, thanks for the correction, that's quite surprising!

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Kendall. QS probably offered them a lower bulk cost so they switched.

Another victory for big business, at the detriment of the consumer.

QS is still a fine product. I wouldn't say it is a detriment to the consumer with the exception that they will be paying the price for a conventional oil change versus a syn-blend that they previous offered.

Yes!

Another poster that is a failure in comprehension and fell for a label.

Trolling much? Please elaborate versus making blanket statements.

The common knowledge on this site used to be that there are two different kinds of Jiffy Lube. Ones that are owned by SOPUS and can only use SOPUS products and then there are independent shops licensing the name that can do what they want.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
The common knowledge on this site used to be that there are two different kinds of Jiffy Lube. Ones that are owned by SOPUS and can only use SOPUS products and then there are independent shops licensing the name that can do what they want.

According to the Wiki on it:

Quote:
In 1991, Jiffy Lube became a subsidiary of Pennzoil.[9]

Following the merger of Pennzoil and Quaker State in 1998, the 581 Q Lube stores were merged into the Jiffy Lube brand, then possessing 1,541 stores, with overlapping operations being closed down.[9] Pennzoil-Quaker State was ultimately purchased by Shell Oil in 2002.[10]

I'm not sure on the details but it sounds like you are referencing the above Q Lube stores that were merged into the Jiffy Lube brand after the acquisition? Even with a franchise, product choice can most certainly be dictated, look at NAPA, Tim Hortons...etc. It all hinges on the terms of the franchise agreement. From what I can see after looking it up, the franchise agreement is quite open on product selection, but it could just have easily been changed after the acquisition to reflect the SOPUS product portfolio. I'm actually quite surprised it wasn't.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
That's bizarre, as they most certainly ARE owned by SHELL, and with a franchise there are usually rules regarding spec products dictated by the parent.

https://www.jiffylube.com/about/history

Quote:
Headquartered in Houston, Texas, Jiffy Lube® International is a wholly owned, indirect subsidiary of Shell Oil Company. Jiffy Lube service centers are 100% franchise-owned. So despite being a national corporation, each location is locally owned by people living in your community.

Also found this:

Quote:
Obligations and Restrictions: A franchised Jiffy Lube service center must be under the personal supervision of franchisee, or under the personal supervision of a manager who has successfully completed the operations training course. The franchisees cannot sell or offer to perform any product or services that would detract from the Jiffy Lube concept. That is, the franchisee cannot offer major engine overhauls, transmission overhauls, muffler installation, automobile painting, or any other services that are not related to the services approved by Jiffy Lube. The franchisee cannot sell or offer to perform a lube-only service, or a lube-oil-filter only service, or an oil and filter only service other than as approved under the VOCP service. The franchisee cannot sell any automobile parts or supplies that are not related to the services Jiffy Lube offers, or any non-automobile related products or services, unless the parts or supplies or products or services are approved.

Anyways, thanks for the correction, that's quite surprising!

I was surprised also when I opened a jiffy lube offer in the mail and it included a non-major brand "synthetic blend" as the bulk fill. That is when I found out jiffy lube franchises had the choice to offer other lubricants. I believe one member in the Northwest stated his local jiffy lube offered Amsoil SS as the synthetic fill option.

Trolling much? Please elaborate versus making blanket statements.

It is not trolling when being blunt about ones ignorance on the subject. The whole Phillips "synthetic blend" campaign was rolled out about a dozen years ago. ConocoPhillps decided with the implementation of ISLAC GF-4 it was more cost effective for them to import Group III base stocks for S-Oil and blend it with group II. It served them two-fold one it cost them less to meet the spec rather than using a primary group II base stock and two it could market its line up as "synthetic blend". The lineup was and still is a quality product but by no means do the go above and beyond any other PMCO offered by the majors.

http://www.aftermarketnews.com/conocophi...nthetic-blends/

"The company also envisions that the conversion of these conventional oils to synthetic blends will enable marketers to gain marketshare by offering their customers, including installers, the best valued, premium product available to the marketplace. Positioning ConocoPhillips’ new synthetic blends against competitive, conventional GF-4 products would naturally give its marketers a competitive edge that would help increase business, the company concludes."

I find it rather odd when Valvoline Nextgen would barely eek by on NOAK posters still mention it today 5 years after the fact. Yet Kendall barely passes spec along all other entry level products from Phillips including Motorcraft which is right at the limit and technically over yet when a quick lube place quits offering their product somehow it is a loss to the consumer.

Quaker State conventional has the same certifications as Kendall "synblend" and is quite a bit above the virgin specs of ISLAC GF-5 and claims to preform on the wear test 100% better then the requirement. Then claims to pass ISLAC's specs after thousands of miles of use.

Now you know you can now either post troll or continue to post in ignorance it is up to you. You could have done the research yourself it takes a layman google user about 3 minutes to do.

while I can appreciate somebody who knows more, I just feel your comments are rude and unnecessary. The whole point of BITOG is to learn from others and state your opinions on topics. Not everybody here is a master mechanic or an oil engineer. Long story short, I appreciate the information as I found it to be informative but don't be a jerk because of your "superior" knowledge.

while I can appreciate somebody who knows more, I just feel your comments are rude and unnecessary. The whole point of BITOG is to learn from others and state your opinions on topics. Not everybody here is a master mechanic or an oil engineer. Long story short, I appreciate the information as I found it to be informative but don't be a jerk because of your "superior" knowledge.

I wanted to finish by apologizing to the other members who are participating in this discussion. I didn't anticipate there being a back and forth unrelated to the topic.

I wanted to finish by apologizing to the other members who are participating in this discussion. I didn't anticipate there being a back and forth unrelated to the topic.

Dont worry about it. dave has been on a rampage and even personally insulting folks in other threads for no apparent reason. I think most have stopped reading his posts.

Dont worry about it. dave has been on a rampage and even personally insulting folks in other threads for no apparent reason. I think most have stopped reading his posts.

It is very simple. Don't post opinions as fact and don't blatantly post false information and I will have no reason to be cankerous.

It is very simple. Don't post opinions as fact and don't blatantly post false information and I will have no reason to be cankerous.

You have been asked before as to what you are talking about and you refused to answer. I will assume you are making this up unless you can reference something.

I think you need a vacation. Calm down....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back