Running 60% water and 40% coolant for summer temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the Memorial Weekend I plan on changing out my coolant on my 1996 Ford Taurus GL 3.0 OHV as I do this annually in preperation for the summer months. I use the car as a daily driver to and from work about 30 miles into Dallas and for the most part in the afternoon it is stop and go traffic for a majority of the drive. With summer temps around or close to 100 I am thinking of going from a 60/40 mix of coolant to water and changing that to 60% water might even go 70% water and 40% or 30% coolant for just the summer months to help with cooler engin temps. Currently with outside temps in the low 70's the temp runs between 196 and 203 but the one day that outdoor temps were close to 90 the car temp was 205 and up to 212. Would there be any concerns or problems with using a larger water ratio for my summer drive for the next few months? Thanks again

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Just keep it simple: 50% distilled water with 50% coolant.

thumbsup2.gif

Here are some charts which may help you decide and also make sure your cap is functioning properly.

Freezing Point (is reduced past a 70% mix):

freezept.gif

Boiling Point:

boilpt.gif

Water has a higher specific heat capacity than any of the glycols used in antifreeze. So, theoretically, you're improving the ability of the cooling system to transfer heat from the engine to the radiator (and thence to the air).

But as a practical matter, your engine won't run any cooler. Your cooling system temp is controlled by the thermostat and the cooling system has plenty of extra capacity, even in Texas. It was tested by Ford in Death Valley with 50/50. If your engine is running hot, then fix the mechanical problem (water pump impeller wear, radiator scale, whatever) instead of playing chemist.

What you need to do is figure out how to turn the fans on sooner. The Taurus probably doesn't turn the fans on until 210f or so.

And the Vulcan V6 is horrible for the heater core clogging up from rust as it is.

Yes, you can run lean antifreeze mixtures, but your car was designed to operate reliably with 50/50, even on hot summer days.

I've been running my Corvette track car on 70/30 water/ethylene glycol for 10 years. Prior to that, I ran it on straight water plus Water Wetter. The coolant temperature stays around 200F while running hard on the track in 90F weather. The higher heat capacity and heat transfer coefficient of water allows the engine to run cooler.

Yes 30% antifreeze is fine but unless you have a refractometer I would error on the higher side closer to 40% lest you fall below the minimum 30% needed for corrosion resistance and the Vulcan needs it since it's a filthy system.

The cooling system, if you have a cooling fan thermo-switch, the lower base operating temperature is controlled by the thermostat. The upper operating temperature is controlled by the electric fans and the fan thermo-switch.

For example, if you have a 190*F thermostat, the thermostat STARTS to open at about 190*F and is fully open at about 195*F..that is the lower limit base temp.

And your cooling fan electric thermo-switch sets the upper operating temp. If it is a 195*F fan switch..the the fans will come on at about 195* and run till the temps drop to the cut off point..usually like about 190*F.

The location of the thermo-switch makes a difference too..it could be in the radiator or on the engine..some locations are hotter or cooler..on some Audi cars the thermo-switch is in the far side return side of the radiator and will not kick the cooling fans on till the engine is quite hot..and a lower temp spec (being calibrated a little lower than the thermostat itself) thermo-switch is a good idea there.

There will be no real benefit using 60/40% coolant mix.

There is a real benefit checking your cooling fan thermo-switch to be sure it is calibrated correctly. Same for your thermostat.

Last edited:
I wonder why you think it will give you lower engine temperatures?

Even if it did, within reason is that a good idea? If your cooling system is operating properly the temperature will be controlled within a band that is acceptable for operation and will be optimal for fuel economy.

Besides, a lower coolant concentration will give a lower boiling point.

Originally Posted By: mctmatt
Over the Memorial Weekend I plan on changing out my coolant on my 1996 Ford Taurus GL 3.0 OHV as I do this annually in preperation for the summer months. I use the car as a daily driver to and from work about 30 miles into Dallas and for the most part in the afternoon it is stop and go traffic for a majority of the drive. With summer temps around or close to 100 I am thinking of going from a 60/40 mix of coolant to water and changing that to 60% water might even go 70% water and 40% or 30% coolant for just the summer months to help with cooler engin temps. Currently with outside temps in the low 70's the temp runs between 196 and 203 but the one day that outdoor temps were close to 90 the car temp was 205 and up to 212. Would there be any concerns or problems with using a larger water ratio for my summer drive for the next few months? Thanks again

On my '97 Taurus SHO and on my 2010 Gen Coupe I did/have installed a mechanical fan controller. Set it to the point you want the fans to come on.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Yes, you can run lean antifreeze mixtures, but your car was designed to operate reliably with 50/50, even on hot summer days.

I've been running my Corvette track car on 70/30 water/ethylene glycol for 10 years. Prior to that, I ran it on straight water plus Water Wetter. The coolant temperature stays around 200F while running hard on the track in 90F weather. The higher heat capacity and heat transfer coefficient of water allows the engine to run cooler.

I had overheating issues on track with my Mustang (well, not really overheating, but hotter than I'd like) and switching to a 45/55 coolant/water mix helped just enough to keep temps stable and keep me happy.

Just my experience, although it is quite possible that the last owner of the car was running a 70/30 coolant/water mix, which doesn't cool very well, but I'll never know.

If you're tracking a car - then you're generating max heat...and a bit of a thermodynamic edge might help.

But I don' think the OP is tracking his daily driver, 1996 Ford Taurus GL...and as long as the components in his system are in good shape, it will have no problem with a Texas summer.

Now, if the car can't handle a Texas summer, then the problem is mechanical (corrosion, blockage, failure, etc.) and tweaking the chemistry of his coolant will only help a little...

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Did much the same with my '68 GTX 4 speed that just ran hot. Used 90% water/10% glycol in summer, then back to regular 60/40 for winter. Tried everything with the car from carbs, cam, timing, water pump, tstats, radiator, fan, fan clutch, belt, motor oils, hoses, plugs/wires/coil, AV gas, etc. to get it to run cooler. The only thing that helped noticeably was the 90/10% + Water Wetter coolant mix.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
If you're tracking a car - then you're generating max heat...and a bit of a thermodynamic edge might help.

But I don' think the OP is tracking his daily driver, 1996 Ford Taurus GL...and as long as the components in his system are in good shape, it will have no problem with a Texas summer.

Agreed 100%. I should have specified that.

A '96 Taurus might make for an interesting track day
lol.gif

The Taurus with the Vulcan is a low specific output engine with an iron block and a generously sized radiator, there isn't anything extra you need to do other than making sure you have at least 30% antifreeze in there, probably more for the corrosion protection.

I used to have a 99 Vulcan and I don't think it ever hit 200F water temp with a 50/50 blend in the hottest of summers and abuse AFAIK

You have too much time on your hands.

50/50. It optimizes the heat transference properties of the glycol, as well as optimizes the anti corrosion benefits.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Water has a higher specific heat capacity than any of the glycols used in antifreeze. So, theoretically, you're improving the ability of the cooling system to transfer heat from the engine to the radiator (and thence to the air).

But as a practical matter, your engine won't run any cooler. Your cooling system temp is controlled by the thermostat and the cooling system has plenty of extra capacity, even in Texas. It was tested by Ford in Death Valley with 50/50. If your engine is running hot, then fix the mechanical problem (water pump impeller wear, radiator scale, whatever) instead of playing chemist.

I used to believe that.

After I pulled down my xterra to change all gaskets and hoses, I refilled with pure distilled water and drove for a few tanks to flush. The temperature gauge read what it always had. But... Monitoring the ECU, the temps were running between 186 and 192.

Once refilled with a 50/50 water and coolant blend, the temps were running 192-195.2

What's interesting there is that it has a 195 degree thermostat.

I believe the difference in viscocities force the thermostat to open at a slightly cooler temperature.

To the OP, just run 50/50, it's easy. I would flush the system though, something is causing your temps to be higher than they should be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back