Jerry Cans

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first time I've ever seen Garak start a thread.
grin2.gif

Is a Jerry can a simple plastic gas can or the metal tall/ skinny can that goes on the back of old Jeeps?

Not that I have seen. Last fall my old one started leaking around the cap and after trying to put a new seal on failed I went looking for new and was leas than pleased at all the reviews on new ones. I ended up going with no-spill and love it.

Last edited:
I have not noticed a fuel can with a vent here in a decade, but if they are coming back I won't necessarily be happier. At first, like everyone, I was cursing the new jugs that had [censored] spouts that made it almost impossible to dispense fuel without also fueling your shoes. However, like I wrote in another thread, I had to adapt and soon found the super siphon is an even better way to get the fuel from the jug to the vehicle without spilling a drop, and without having to hold the weight of the fuel steady. Since I am often moving 20 gallons or more of fuel in jugs the siphon is the way to go. The lack of vents on the jugs helps to prevent fuel spills, and as long as the jugs are sturdy and the caps seal tight I am fine with them now.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Is a Jerry can a simple plastic gas can or the metal tall/ skinny can that goes on the back of old Jeeps?

Here, at least, it means any gas can. I'm talking about the plastic ones. There are the same brand an all as the self-venting (i.e. garbage) ones, and look the same, but with the old school vent.

Merk, I don't start that many threads, but on occasion....

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I have not noticed a fuel can with a vent here in a decade, but if they are coming back I won't necessarily be happier. At first, like everyone, I was cursing the new jugs that had [censored] spouts that made it almost impossible to dispense fuel without also fueling your shoes. However, like I wrote in another thread, I had to adapt and soon found the super siphon is an even better way to get the fuel from the jug to the vehicle without spilling a drop, and without having to hold the weight of the fuel steady. Since I am often moving 20 gallons or more of fuel in jugs the siphon is the way to go. The lack of vents on the jugs helps to prevent fuel spills, and as long as the jugs are sturdy and the caps seal tight I am fine with them now.
Super siphons are nice for transferring a lot of fuel. They aren't so sensible for filling up a lawn mower or string trimmer. You still need a good gas can that you can pour.

The stupid US vent / auto-closing spout laws and ridiculous lawsuits put the Blitz company out of business, but I doubt that they'll be relaxed anytime soon. I have stockpiled a few very old metal gas cans because the new ones that meet the asinine auto-closing spout and 'no separate vent' rules are awful.

The simple solution for the litigious types that caused all this: Gasoline is dangerous. Don't be stupid around it, and you won't get third-degree burns. Don't make the rest of us suffer with stupid nozzle contraptions if you ARE stupid around it and DO get third degree burns.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I noticed up here that our jerry cans have the vents back, and proudly proclaim that fact. Has that happened in the States yet?
Scepter is making them with the vent on the handle. I bought a 20 liter diesel jerry can a little while ago and it has the vent on the handle.

Let me give you guys a piece of advice: If you have a nice gas bottle like a NO-SPIL that costs about 23 to 25 dollars, don't let it sit out in the sun on a hot day and then let it cool on a cool day. The bottle will expand on the hot day and then contract on the cool day. The expansion is not so bad, but when it contracts, it looks like it's been stepped on by an elephant. It's the contraction that puts a heavy stress on the plastic; to the point of potentially ruining it. I got stress fractures in my bottle from that. Of course a simple vent would've prevented all of that.

For 5.99$ I can get a full Metal or Synthetic used Military Surplus Fuel or Water Can, for an extra 2.99$, I can get the spout.

I wish there was a rural king around here, though I'd still shop at surplus stores, cheap price for American goods.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Scepter is making them with the vent on the handle. I bought a 20 liter diesel jerry can a little while ago and it has the vent on the handle.

I'm not sure of the brand off hand, but Canadian Tire and Peavey Mart both had vented ones in stock, plus some self-venting ones, which are either old stock or they're going to carry both.

I have one self venting one, and I don't have a lot of problems with how it works, other than it doesn't seal great when closed. It pours fine. The problems are when I'm not pouring!

The Germans (Jerry in WWII) invented the Jerrycan to haul gas. They held 20 liters, a little more than 5 gal). Prior to the Jerrycan one needed tools and funnels to use a gas can to fill a vehicle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back