M1 0-40 or M1 15 w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, question. What's a 'better made' oil? Buddy at Auto Zone wants to be able to say, "This is the best oil Mobil 1 has on the market". I told him my friends here would give him an answer within 24 hours.

Oh, and to those who helped me with the Oil Sending Unit for my Jeep: THANKYOU.

-A

Two different oils with different purposes. For starters the 15w50 is much thicker with a 4.5 HTHSV and the Mobil 1 0W40 is at 3.6 HTHSV.

The 15w50 has a more robust additive package if that matters but overly thick oils don't help anything.

If you want to know which oil is better for a specific application, post what the oil is going into.

Here's this if you're curious.

mobil1-nominal-zinc-level-chart-2016.jpg

Oil depends on the application.. I dont think any kind of blanket statements can or should be made since as we know many oils are excellent with few differences between them.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
It all depends on what you're pouring either of those oils in you know?

'zackerly.

They are both "best" for different things.

If I had a free supply of both, I would use the M1 15W-50 in all my motorcycles, and any modified engine street machines. With the M1 0W-40 , I would use it in all my regular and Euro performance cars.

Both excellent oils, depends on application.

I think we sort of have a tie. Both are acknowledged as the 'best' readily version of M1 available on the market, depending on application. I thank you all.

Originally Posted By: ARMY_Guy
I think we sort of have a tie. Both are acknowledged as the 'best' readily version of M1 available on the market, depending on application. I thank you all.

^ bingo.

01.gif

Also:

Mobil 5w50 (1100ppm zinc)

Does anybody think this oil is in the category as 0w40/15w50? Its ACEA A3/B4, has Porsche A40, MB 229.3, VW 505.00 approvals

Originally Posted By: SpecM
Also:

Does anybody think this oil is in the category as 0w40/15w50? Its ACEA A3/B4, has Porsche A40, MB 229.3, VW 505.00 approvals

The 5w50 is basically a thicker version of the 0w40. Same additive package. Lower HTHS than the 15w50, but not as shear resistant.

Last edited:
Also:

M1 0W-40 is all that in terms of specs plus MB 229.5.
M1 15W-50 would be far more shear stable and less volatile than M1 5W-50.

For me, I could never see the point of M1 5W-50. I would use the M1 0W-40 for regular applications and the M1 15W-50 for heavy duty applications. The 5W-50 is neither fish nor fowl.

Also:

Plus "BMW High Performance Diesel" per M1's spec-sheet. Absolutely no information on this specification elsewhere...

Originally Posted By: Garak
If the M1 5w-50 were to meet the Ford spec, it might make some sense.

^^^^YES, THIS!

(I cannot believe they did not certify it to meet THAT spec!
frown.gif
)

Same with QS 5w-50. Does it meet the Ford spec? My supplier isn't going to be bringing in the QSUD 5w-50 any longer. I didn't ask if that was their idea or Shell's. Obviously, the Ford spec is a bit of a niche spec, but so is the grade itself. One would think an oil company would go after the one OEM specification out there for a 5w-50, if at all possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back