Oil for a built 97 Camaro SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the process of purchasing a 97 Camaro SS with the 5.7L LT1 and a 6 speed off a buddy of mine. The Engine has been bored/stroked to a 392 and makes roughly 420hp at the tires. It has probably 8k miles on the engine so it's broken in. I don't plan on it being my daily driver so the miles should be under 6k a year. I was going to go the Amsoil route but was wondering what everyone's thoughts were. The engine shares the same architecture as the old school Chevy small blocks 40 years ago with the exception of having a roller cam, reverse flow cooling, etc. As well as the Amsoil I was also considering using Pennzoil Platinum or maybe Royal Purple 5w30 with a K&N filter. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'd go with any of the name brand synthetics in 30 to 40 weight.

And a fram ultra or mobil 1 filter.

Last edited:
I definitely would not go 5W-30 for a high horsepower motor. I'd go SAE 30 minimum.

What's the point in having fuel economy oil in a 420 horsepower rocket sled ?

Ford is using 5W-50 in their hopped up Mustangs.

Schaeffers,Amsoil or Royal Purple HPS

These oils are used in alot of street/race Camaros at our 1/4 drag-strip.

I really like Amsoil Dominator, use it in a big block boat. Available in 3 weights and really performs well in a high horsepower engine.

I ran Mobil 1 0w40 in my 97 Z28 with good results. Stock bottom end different cam, headers, full roller rockers ect. Was a PDX/Autocross Car with lots of 1/4 and 1/8 passes. It kept the rockers nice and quiet, that's what I would run.

I ran M1 5w30 in my '97 Camaro Z28. Drove the heck out of that car for the 3 years that I owned it. Ran fine when I tracked it. Traded it in on my '02 Z28. A stout 30 or a light 40 would be fine for it. Redline 5w30 works fine in my built L98 Corvette track car. Castrol Syntec 0w30 is also a stout 30. M1 0w40 would be good, too.

How are you going to be using the car? For regular street use and the occasional day at the drag strip or autocross, a 30-weight would be fine. Unless the engine was built with loose bearing clearances, then you may have to go thicker.

I had a bolt on 00 ls1 camaro that put 350hp/tq to the wheels. 5w30 mobil 1 is all I put in it.

Just pick a name brand 30 or 40 weight synthetic and you'll be fine. It's not a pro stock drag car. I doubt you need a 50 weight.

Those boss Mustangs specced for 50 weight are for when you're tracking it. When not they can run 5w20.

I don't have a suggestion, never having owned an LT1 car, but HOW do you ever get through the Republik Of Cali inspections with that thing?? (I take for granted it has long tubes on it.)
confused2.gif

Do you 'know someone' who does private inspections?

Easy. Stock manifolds and cats then a real conservative tune for inspection day. lol

While stationed in California I knew guys that kept thier whole stock exhaust system and would swap the week of inspection.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Justin251
While stationed in California I knew guys that kept thier whole stock exhaust system and would swap the week of inspection.

Having owned one, you know as well as I do what kind of a MAJOR pain installing long tubes in these cars is (BOTH on the LT1 AND LS1 4th gens), especially having to do that EVERY year!!
eek.gif

Besides, doesn't the Republik Of Kali have their CHiPs do roadside spot checks, and pull overs, especially for performance oriented cars which are frequently modded, with BIG fines (or even impoundment) for smog equipment infractions??

Last I was in the fbody scene guys were starting to go with shorties and carb legal cats then get a tune just for the emissions tests. Dunno if anything has changed. I wouldn't have bothered myself if I was in a smog state.

The pacesetters weren't hard to put in on my 2000 ls1. Now, getting the 3 inch y pipe lined up so that it didn't rattle against the floor board? Took a few days. It wouldn't rattle in every gear. LOL.

And every time I did spark plugs and especially the ls6 intake I looked like I fought a wild cat.

GM used the sharpest stuff under that hood.

Fortumately it was built with all smog legal componets. Has EO#'s on the heads, cam, headers and cats. Passes a "legit" smog check =D The exhaust is 2.5" Y-pipe into single 4" out the back with a 4" race muffler. Sort of loud but the cats calm it down a tad...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I don't have a suggestion, never having owned an LT1 car, but HOW do you ever get through the Republik Of Cali inspections with that thing?? (I take for granted it has long tubes on it.)
confused2.gif

Do you 'know someone' who does private inspections?

Fortumately it was built with all smog legal componets. Has EO#'s on the heads, cam, headers and cats. Passes a "legit" smog check =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back