Anyone get a headache from coffee withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The headache just means you need to drink no coffee for a few more days, then the headaches stop.

Serious

I used to drink a pot of coffee every day....... about 10 cups. The headaches lasted three days when I quit, then diminished greatly - then totally stopped in two more days.

It's easy to quit. I drink 16oz of Green / Oolong hot tea mix these days. That's all the caffeine I need nowadays.

Last edited:
Yes, I get a terrible headache if I don't have coffee within a few hours of waking up in the mornings.

Coffee is the only addiction I have ever had. I didn't even start drinking it until 2012 when I went back to college to further my degree.

I don't like that I am hooked on a substance, but it's "only" coffee, so I tell myself that it could be worse (i.e. drugs, booze, gambling, smoking, etc.). And, I love the taste of so many varieties of it. I drink up to 18 oz. a day, but usually 10 oz. is enough.

I drink only one cup a day. I'll get a mild headache if I miss it.

Afternoons I'll yawn like crazy, but I refuse to drug myself further with caffeine.

The lady of the house will drug herself with caffeine in the evening before going out with friends, so she'll be perky and sociable.

I drink my coffee black,so it's not terrible for me. I tried to give it up (when some ticker problems arose), but I just could not deal with the caffiene withdrawl headaches. I was lethargic, massive headache. Really felt like a bad hangover.

I'll stick to my black coffee in the morning!

I greatly enjoy coffee. Perks me up...I think better...faster....and the various intensities of different varieties are great.

Do I get headaches if I don't have coffee? No...I get atomic explosions inside my skull bigger than Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined! I've managed to quit before...took about 4 days for the migraines to cease. Then after about a month or two, I did not see any benefit to not drinking coffee...and I missed the flavor and caffeine.

If I don't have a cup of joe by 9am i'm in big trouble, 2 cup minimum in the morning is mandatory, when I was in the NAVY never went anywhere without a cup in your hand, while deployed on the ship the messdecks always had a huge coffeemaker running 24 hrs a day
coffee2.gif

I love my coffee, and yes, lack of it does give me a headache. You guys drinking 2 or 3 cups a day crack me up. I drink a whole pot and still crave more. If you're gonna drink coffee, then drink coffee! No need to 1/2 step it. That said, I do go out of my way to make sure to drink lots of water too. Caffeine will dehydrate you and water is very important. Downside to all this is frequent trips to the rest room. Coffee drinking was
one of the first things the Navy taught me.

Last edited:
I've read that coffee (and caffeine specifically) is not a diuretic. from what I can tell, if you drink more caffeine then you are used to, then yes, you can get a flushing effect. But if you drink at your typical level, it may be of no consequence. That seems hardly surprising: if caffeine is addictive then maintaining its level in the bloodstream must mean normalcy.

From personal experience, if I have a long drive starting in the morning, I will grab the largest coffee I can find and sip that for the drive. I won't need to go until I pull out the water bottle, and then it seems even the smallest sip turns the kidneys back on.

What seems more apt is that after a night of slowly losing fluids (through respiration) the moment I start intaking water is when my body can then start flushing out any junk created while sleeping.

It's always with moderation and timing, as with anything. If I'm going to drink four pots of coffee I day, I'm going to feel like garbage, and have headaches, and bad sleeping patterns. A couple coffees in the "morning" (because my scheduling is weird) is fine, and even helpful.

I prefer tea, especially if I'm drinking a lot. If I go too hard on the coffee, it's too the john every fifteen minutes. Tea has a much smaller effect on me that way.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Caffeine withdrawal sucked out loud. However, it didn't take much to taper down. I went from drinking close to a gallon of sludge (as they called it at work) every day for about 3 years, to no coffee at all in less than a month. Now I drink coffee just for the taste of it.

01.gif

Coffee is not the only source of caffeine out there, only one of the most popular. Coffee is also rich in antioxidants and can be called healthy if the old addage is applied: Everything in moderation. Coffee addiction is a self-imposed thing, just like your drug dealer on the street.

Coffee is also an acquired taste. Black coffee is the healthiest, dark coffee usually tastes stronger I won't necessarily say better, and Coffee Fool website sells some of the best beans and brews you may have never tasted. Make your own, it tastes better.

getting a headache right now... didnt have any coffee today, just green tea. I'm actually going to try to quit for awhile cold turkey, we'll see how that goes...

I can drink a pot of coffee a day for a month and then go a month without drinking coffee or any sort of caffeine and not get a headache. My doctor does not believe me so this must be rare. At my last stress echo cardiogram, I was told I have large blood vessels, so maybe that has something to do with it. Dont really know. I will say, prior to lifting weights, I drink a bunch of coffee. In that respect, I feel like I cant work out right without coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back