How often is it safe to....

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often is it safe to polish your car? I am asking about the 2012 Accord in my sig. It has thin pain from the factory so I don't have a lot to work with. I like keeping it shiny but this is an ongoing task as its single stage, so over time it dulls and oxidizes unlike a car with a dedicated clear coat. I have a dual action polisher and polish so I have the right equipment for the job, just need to know how often I can do it without risking damage.

On that car with that color not very often, that is very thin paint. See my answer in your other post. Seriously consider this option.

Being the detail nut that I am, its hard for me not to whip out the D/A and polish her up any time the finish isn't like a mirror
wink.gif
I understand that doing so would burn through the paint in short order. Maybe I can get by with doing a clay / polish once a year...or is that too much?

How long do you really plan on owning it, anyways?

I'd say if you need to scratch your OCD, wax it more often. A good wax/sealant regimen shouldn't allow oxidation and require polishing yearly.

Last edited:
Howabout getting it to mirror shine and then hitting it with a serious coating like CQuartz, etc.. so you have a thicker surface to work with? Should also extend the shine and make it that much more durable.

Why don't you try "wet paint glaze"? Check out their website. Although it is a waterless car wash, you can wash your car then hit it with WPG. It has incredible reflectivity and is easy and safe to use. If your clear coat is thin but you want shiny paint, WPG is your new game.

www.wetpaintglaze.com

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Why don't you try "wet paint glaze"? Check out their website. Although it is a waterless car wash, you can wash your car then hit it with WPG. It has incredible reflectivity and is easy and safe to use. If your clear coat is thin but you want shiny paint, WPG is your new game.

www.wetpaintglaze.com

Does it offer UV protection? Is it a sealant or car wash. You mentioned that WPG is a waterless car wash? I am confused.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'd look into CQuartz Finest to give it a clear coat...

I will look into this. I dont have a garage so anything that I apply would be applied outside exposed to the elements.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'd look into CQuartz Finest to give it a clear coat...

I will look into this. I dont have a garage so anything that I apply would be applied outside exposed to the elements.

Contact The Critic. He has real world experience with these types of products.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: double vanos

www.wetpaintglaze.com

Does it offer UV protection? Is it a sealant or car wash. You mentioned that WPG is a waterless car wash? I am confused.

I like this very much. This is the only product which has touched the paint on my car since new. For the amount of effort you put in, nothing else beats the shine coming out of it. You don't need to wash the car to apply this. But knowing your OCD, you will need an older car to try it on before you will take the plunge to apply to your own car. :)

If you are washing it properly you shouldn't need to polish it very often. Maybe once every few years and only a light polish.

The question of how many times can you polish before burning through depends on how much material you are taking off each time. Which depends on how you are polishing it. The only way to know for sure is too measure the paint depth.

Originally Posted By: Delta
If you're having to polish often to get "that shine" you're doing something wrong.

And washing too often with too much (or the wrong) soap removes the wax that protects the paint....(Greg said elsewhere that his wax lasts only 2-3 weeks...not a good sign).

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
And washing too often with too much (or the wrong) soap removes the wax that protects the paint....(Greg said elsewhere that his wax lasts only 2-3 weeks...not a good sign).

Agreed. I can get almost 8 months out of a sealant; the one I applied to the Camry is still holding good from fall. Slowly starting to diminish, but its been a long run.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Originally Posted By: Delta
If you're having to polish often to get "that shine" you're doing something wrong.

I learned I was doing this wrong a few years ago, too. Using Meguairs Gold or another good soap makes the wax last MUCH longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back