Honda Taffeta White single stage....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2012 Accord EX-L has the Taffeta White paint job, this is a single stage paint job from the factory. I just wanted to share my experience regarding staining that I experience, also wanted to see if any of you have experience this with your cars as well. My car is outside 24/7 and when its not raining I like to keep it parked under trees to avoid the sun and resulting UV damage. If the car is parked under a tree during a rain storm, the water running down the leaves and branches collects grime, then eventually falls on my car. I live in Florida so shortly after the rain storm the sun is back out and it will quickly dry the water and grime and this will bake on the paint. These stains are very hard to get off the paint. I have to use quite a bit of pressure with a microfiber mitt to get even a little bit of the stains off. Is this just the nature of the beast with single stage paint jobs as they don't have a dedicated clear coat? Its just very frustrating to spend all that time detailing only to still have stains on the paint
smirk.gif
Have any of you experienced this? I can get out the polish/compound and remove the stains, but this also removes paint and this paint is super this as it is!

I think that was the last single stage paint Honda offered, you could have it clear coated if the paint is good condition.
There are some durable clears made to spray over single stage paints that give a nice gloss and will permanently lock in the color.

The 4000 universal clear from SPI is a very good clear for this job and it doesnt cost a fortune. If you can find a shop just to shoot it you can do all the prep at home in a weekend and save a lot on the labor. It will end your problem.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/#!products/c19pa

Last edited:
Maybe get a car cover? Or a portable car port if allowed in your neighborhood?

As obsessive as you seem to be about the car's appearance, you're in trouble without a garage. You need something to keep the stuff off the car from the start or you'll constantly be cleaning up. Either that or learn to let some paint imperfections ride.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I think that was the last single stage paint Honda offered, you could have it clear coated if the paint is good condition.
There are some durable clears made to spray over single stage paints that give a nice gloss and will permanently lock in the color.

The 4000 universal clear from SPI is a very good clear for this job and it doesnt cost a fortune. If you can find a shop just to shoot it you can do all the prep at home in a weekend and save a lot on the labor. It will end your problem.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/#!products/c19pa

That is a good suggestion Trav! The paint is in good condition overall save a few rock chips on the front, and a nick or two on the rear bumper, all minor blemishes though. I don't have the money to have the car cleared, or I would consider it. I bought a bottle of Opti-Seal shortly after getting this car back in August to keep the paint in good shape. I figured using a synthetic sealant would be the better choice over a wax, but even the Opti-Seal doesn't seem to last long. I have had these spots before, and they seem to disappear over time. Its certainly frustrating though to spend the time I do detailing the car to have less than stellar results.

My 1998 Acura TL was the same color and it did the same thing. Car came from Springfield, MO before moving it to coastal NC. The paint also never seemed to keep a shine. I just lived with it.

That's a great color on a Honda!

Is that a metallic white? I can't remember. If so, even a harsh compound could cause problems.

Put some high quality wax on it for now, and look into a single stage clear coat product if you wanted someone to spray the vulnerable areas.

You can apply some Plastidip or this stuff: http://www.duplicolor.com/product/custom-wrap-automotive-removable-paint

Especially the horizontal surfaces. Try it on the trunk lid first then maybe the hood and see how you like it. Go with the same color. Since it seems most FL, AZ cars seems to fade on those surfaces first.

Also this rinseless wash is quick and easy: https://www.duragloss.com/Exterior-Clean...-Rinseless-Wash

Not only will you wash it but leaves protection behind. I know it's counterintuitive but I think you'll like it. They just came out with a waterless spray and wash where you spray and wipe the product which is a waterless wash. Less margin for error with that product.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
That's a great color on a Honda!

Is that a metallic white? I can't remember. If so, even a harsh compound could cause problems.

Put some high quality wax on it for now, and look into a single stage clear coat product if you wanted someone to spray the vulnerable areas.

Yes, I do enjoy the color. It feel it complements the car. It is not metallic, most of the newer Hondas that are white are Orchid White Pearl but they still use Taffeta White on some of them. Although they may used a dedicated clear coat now.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

I would not obsess over your paint quality.

This.

Or your OCIs.

I researched car covers many times, for the new sportwagen. Sometimes it sits for days when I ride my bike to work and don't need to drive anywhere in the evenings. Concluded: too much hassle, even quality ones wear out and have chances of wind driven paint scratching; and its just a car - I'll wax it 2x per year and it'll look more than good enough.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Car port is one option, cutting down your trees is another.

I would not obsess over your paint quality.

Yep! I do tend to obsess over such things. All I can really do is keep it washed and "waxed" (sealant) and keep it out of the sun as much as possible.

Use Eagle One Nano Wax. That'll keep stuff from staining the paint. Works like a miracle on my car.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Use Eagle One Nano Wax. That'll keep stuff from staining the paint. Works like a miracle on my car.

Yep, I may go back to using a spray wax after each wash. Many on here said that an application of the Opti-Seal every so often is enough, but it just doesn't seem to be lasting as long as I hoped. I can only get 2 to 3 weeks / washes out of it before loosing ability to bead, not impressive if you ask me.

I have (what my wife calls) a redneck garage. I love it. It's a 24X22' metal carport with the enclosed sides. I keep my boat, electric cart and Snapper rider mower under it.

I had an 89 Honda Accord in "Polar White." Back then, white was most definitely lacking a clear coat. All I ever did was wax it every three months with old maroon can Meguiar's cleaner/wax. When I started working at an office with a parking garage I knocked it back to twice a year waxing. The paint was still shiny and beading water when I got rid of the car in 2012.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
I have a 2010 Civic in Taffeta white and I don't believe the newer taffeta white's are single stage anymore.

Its true some models were still single stage, Taffeta White and Milano Red were the last of them. I don't know exactly what year they changed but these colors went longer than the others.
Rubbing compound on a cloth proves it, you get paint transfer.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
I have a 2010 Civic in Taffeta white and I don't believe the newer taffeta white's are single stage anymore.

The Civics and down in TW did have a clear coat, the Accords and up had the single stage job (clear and paint mixed).

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I can only get 2 to 3 weeks / washes out of it before losing ability to bead, not impressive if you ask me.

What are you washing your car with....? Perhaps you use too much soap, cleaning off the wax along with the dirt.
I use spray wax on my neighbor's red Accord and it stays "beady" for a good month...little need to wash it much as a good Florida rain storm washes it clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back