Safe and easy engine degreaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just replaced my VCG and want to clean around the sides of the engine so that I can monitor for new oil seeping. Is there something that can just be sprayed that will wash off the grease and grime that is also safe for all the rubber hoses?

Thanks.

Dollar Store (family dollar, dollar general etc) - LA totally awesome all purpose cleaner. I use this stuff on my dump trucks, it dissolves grease and oil like crazy.

I have used oven cleaner (fume free), along with the purple powers and other degreasers and find the Totally Awesome to be the cheapest best bang for the buck to do heavy degreasing..it melts it.

Shout laundry stain remover works amazingly well. Spray on full strength, brush, hose off after a few minutes.

Last weekend I used gunk cleaner and degreaser in a spray bottle from walmart for a knock sensor/img job. I used it inside the plastic intake, on the wires. Didn't see any problems. IMO it was mild compared to the gunk degreasers I've used years ago. Heavier areas needed a repeat application.

I use Castrol Superclean per recommendations many years ago on this site. It's basically Easy-Off oven cleaner without the foam.

It also serves double duty in the kitchen as well on stove grime.

I'm not sure about the purple stuff, but be careful with the original Simple Green--it etches aluminum.

I'm not saying your aluminum parts will be jellied puddles of muck in your driveway after using it or anything, but extended repeated use will probably show visually. A good thorough rinsing after using it will probably help hugely in mitigating problems.

Simple Green ruined my aluminum valve cover. Fortunately I had a new one. Unless they changed the formula I wouldn't waste my money. The Awesome Cleaner from the Dollar tree works better anyway.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Shout laundry stain remover works amazingly well. Spray on full strength, brush, hose off after a few minutes.

Works great on laundry. Never thought of it for engines. I'll have to give it a try.

The Simple Green HD is supposed to be aluminum safe. That's why it was recommended to me years ago.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The Simple Green HD is supposed to be aluminum safe.

That's why I use it. Home Depot carries it, and the price is right.

I bought a product called "Mean Green" at the dollar general. Used it on my '74 jeep after fixing a bunch of oil leaks and it did pretty good. Don't know about plastic or aluminum tho- this old school jeep is all cast iron and sheet metal.

The Simple Green HD is supposed to be aluminum safe. That's why it was recommended to me years ago.

I communicated with the folks at Simple Green to confirm that the HD Pro is the consumer available version of their industrial Extreme Aviation and Precision cleaner. They are also supposed to be safe for plastics and rubber. Their web site FAQ covers this stuff also.

Used both Simple Green and Purple Power. Just spray on and agitate very mucky areas with a paint brush. Repeat spray and agitate on stubborn areas.

Shiny aluminum parts like air conditioner lines will stain no matter what. I have aluminum wheels and they are stain prone. Even after a car wash or rain if I leave a water spot on the wheel it'll etch. Luckily aluminum is soft and doesn't take much effort to buff out if you really want to for an engine bay I guess.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

I communicated with the folks at Simple Green to confirm that the HD Pro is the consumer available version of their industrial Extreme Aviation and Precision cleaner. They are also supposed to be safe for plastics and rubber. Their web site FAQ covers this stuff also.

thumbsup2.gif
Safer for aluminum too which is why I made the switch.

I spent $10 on a gallon pump sprayer at HD, and buy degreaser at Smart and Final. I mix up about a 3:1 water to degreaser mix in the pump sprayer. To clean the engine, I hit it with pressure washer first to rinse most of the dirt off. Make sure you don't get the degreaser on the body paint, by the way. Working from one side to the other of the engine compartment, I spray generously from the sprayer. I then repeat that, making sure it doesn't have a chance to dry. After spraying everything down twice, I hit it again with the pressure washer. Rinse well, then spray any stubborn spots again with the degreaser before a good scrubbing and final rinse. Dry partially with a leaf blower or blow gun. You can spray it down with your favorite protectant if desired, or just leave it clean and dry. If you use protectant, wipe the excess after giving it some time to settle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back