Getting FiOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Thursday I am getting Verizon FiOS installed. Signing a 2 year contract for 100/100 internet only for $50 a month (for all 24 months). I live in in an upstairs apartment with the downstairs tenant being my landlord... we get along great with the old "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours mentality". With that said, we're going to share the service. Pretty reasonable price when sharing.

Looking for opinions... Does anyone use the new Quantum Gateway? I am torn between keeping this device and using it via MoCA or having them enable the Ethernet port on the ONT and continue using my aging SonicWall TZ180 and my Ubiquiti UniFi. Looking at the specs of my TZ180, it has a stateful throughput of 90+ Mbps. I'm not too terribly worried about it being able to keep up.

There is already an ONT installed in the basement. Not sure if for 2 separate apartments if Verizon usually uses one ONT with MoCA everything and bills per router, or if they're going to install an ONT in my apartment. If they do install an ONT in my apartment, I am more inclined to go with my existing equipment. If they plan to only use one ONT then I'd either have to use powerline Ethernet adapters or just go MoCA with their router. Wouldn't hate to save an additional $10 a month, but would probably eventually buy my own device.

This new Quantum Gateway looks interesting... dual-core processor, 802.11ac support. Very excited for FiOS. I am coming off of 6/1 TWC which seems to die every night around 10pm. I am really getting sick of that. I also checked with Verizon and they verified that if I move within my contact period to a non-FiOS area; I am not responsible for paying the early termination fee. If I did move to a FiOS area, I'd probably keep the service.

Lucky you get fios in your area. I'm stuck with Comcast. While I'm supposed to get 150 down, I usually only get 40-50 down and 150-180 only early in the morning. I've complained once with nothing happening and also upgraded my modem to one that can do much faster than 150. If I was getting at least 100 at all times I'd be pretty happy but 1/3 the speed? I should complain more.

I donmt understand all of your accronyms, but can I assume that when you say your equipment that you're talking about the modem/router? Verizon uses a proprietary modem and wireless router. You can use your router after the modem, but you probably won't have a need. The equipment they supply is pretty good.

My friend over in Orchard Park has it and loves it. When I used to stay with them while traveling I found it fast and very easy to use having not seen it before.

Just be aware that you will eventually become a Frontier Communications customer. Verizon has sold off its residential business, including FiOS, in several states, including mine. I haven't had much trouble in the transition but others in my area have been complaining about it incessantly - internet down, on-demand programming down, no dial tone on phone line, etc. My only issue was that it took them six weeks to get the billing transition completed so I ended up paying for both April and May this week.

We pay $19.99/mo for 50/50 FIOS service. No TV, just internet and landline...

They were desperate to get us off DSL.

That is one heck of a deal. I pay $70/month plus tax for 25/25 FiOS. I have internet only and have had FiOS since 2005.

People less than 5 miles down US Route 9 in Delmar can get FiOS, but I can't in Albany proper. Sucks, because TWC (sorry, Charter now) isn't the best around here.

I had FiOS, but it became Frontier a couple of months ago in my neck of the woods. I liked FiOS, never any problems, and Frontier is no different. It was just weird when I went to pay my FiOS bill and I was told it was now Frontier Communications.

It used to be the big thing in Buffalo (suburbs) about 5-6 years ago, they were faster than everybody else.

Then like magic, Time Warner matched their speeds almost overnight.

We had it when I lived in West Seneca, it was decent. The install costs Verizon quite a bit, they put a huge box the size of a breaker box in my basement and affixed it to the wall.

The verizon TV service was very good, never had one problem with it.

Down here in Texas we are on the outskirts of Austin, we only have one cable company Time Warner, I'm happy with my 50MEG service for 40 dollars per month. Don't need much more than that for two people.

Once its all set up, please follow up and let us know the actual monthly payment including all surcharges/equip/admin fees etc.
Also any initial set up costs.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Not FiOS, but getting 300mb AT&T GigaPower in June.

I already have FTTP, but I need a new ONT and gateway for GigaPower.

After combining my home and mobile bills, it's only $4 more/month to go from 18mb to 300mb service.

No brainer.

What about the Data Cap on ATT?

Around here they have a 250gb data cap and surcharge extra if you go over it.

I won't do business with a company who has a data cap.

FiOS is epic. [censored] it is fast. My aging SonicWall TZ180 would not go past 20mb up/down. Also, my Ubiquiti UniFi has some sort of bug in the firmware where it will not provide anything over about 28mb down and 45mb up.

For once I am playing consumer and using the Verizon supplied FiOS Quantum Gateway. It is a pretty decent piece of equipment. I have the same SSID for the 2.4 and 5GHz networks, so my 802.11ac devices will automatically hop to the quicker one. Excellent speeds and decent coverage too.

Loving it. Still waiting for the first bill.
shocked.gif

rJs1NGJ.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back