2001 mazda tribute- relearn process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took 01 tribute through state inspection yesterday, Monday. In the morning, I did an oil/filter change and a drain and replace tranny fluid change. Then,[shouldn't have] disconnected the negative battery cable and cleaned up the mass air sensor, then put the cable back on, 1/2 hour later. Car was find before all this, I just decided to do this before inspection. Well it passed all the safety issues, brakes, lights, horn wipers, etc. Inspection lane hooked up to the computer, , it failed the readiness status? She asked me if I did some work recently? I told her. She asked if the negative cable was removed, yes I replied. I drove a total of 6 miles to get to the inspection lanes. She told me to drive the vehicle for a few days and come back, it has to relearn. Checked the manual for the car, nothing stated about this, unless I missed it. Anyway, how many miles, about, does it take? It's just a work car, about 22 miles a day total. Someone said it needs to relearn the drivings habit's?? Anyway I'll won't be removing a negative cable again,,,before inspection. Come to think, while driving to the inspection lanes, the tranny felt different, nothing bad, I don't know. Plan is to put around 50 miles and take it back this Thursday.

Readiness status is generally achieved after 3-4 drive cycles or 50-60 miles. The learning process is ongoing depending on conditions which will not impact the readiness

OBDII needs to run all tests on the vehicle. Some of those test require certain parameters that require some time/distance to occur. Like she said, drive it for a few days and it should have run all diagnostics, giving it a positive readiness status.

All the readiness monitors for emissions are reset. This is what you would do if you had a check engine light on and fixed the problem. So it takes a while specifically at highway speed to relearn the whether the cats are operating efficiently and if there are any evap leaks.

Now this also can reset some fuel trims and transmission parameters which explains why you said it "felt different" Most adaptive automatics learn a particular driving style and adapt to the owner.

Nothing bad happens except maybe slightly higher fuel use for short while.

Many states will pass a car with less than total number of "ready monitors" set. (five out of seven is common) The EVAP monitor is one of the most complicated to reset. If you have a an evap system problem and an OBD II reader(which will tell you which monitors are ready) you can sneak buy an inspection in many states with the EVAP monitor not reset. If it does reset and shows even a PENDING code you're done for. If you can get by with 5 out of 7, say, you clear all the info from the ECU, drive until five are reset, and then CREEP to the station. Your state DOT website should tell you how many monitors must be ready. Obviously a MIL for air con isn't one that counts. Google will tell you what it takes to reset the EVAP monitor. They don't reset if the the temp is below a certain point, among other things, and the car must be driven at a certain speed for a certain time, with a certain number of on - off cycles. In this case the system is used against itself and it's legal. A cheap OBD II reader can save you a lot of dough.

Last edited:
Just drove the car, since the test a total of 35 miles have been put on it since inspection. But, like I said, the tranny felt different yesterday, slight hard shift, nothing to jolt ya, just felt it, even with new tranny fluid. Well now it's shifting smooth, so maybe it's getting there. Will put more miles on it, highway miles, then Thursday go thru again. I've let it idle a few minutes, turn the AC on for a minute then did some driving. What a pain to get new tags,[Delaware], and for 2 years tags it's $80.00, maybe more. Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back