Moog Wheel Bearing Made In Korea..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Advance Auto today to price some Wheel Bearings (hub a$$'y) and decided to look at the Moog. Made in Korea for $160. Should I get it?

Last edited:
Are you asking from a technical, moral, geopolitical, macroeconomic, or other standpoint?

Technically, a part of any quality can be made in any country. Nikon makes some of the best cameras in the world - exclusively in Taiwan.

MOOG is the former National by Federal Mogul.Their MOOG u joints are the former Precision (no longer USA made).

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
MOOG is the former National by Federal Mogul.Their MOOG u joints are the former Precision (no longer USA made).

^^Yeah^^

Moog is going downhill. I've changed the front and middle u-joints on my sister-in-law's truck on different dates with Moog and wasn't impressed with either. The circlips were too thick and made of terrible soft steel. I had to re-use the original circlips. When the rear u-joint wears out I won't be using a Moog again, I'll just put in a made in Brazil store brand instead.

Their suspension and steering parts are still good. I've got a Moog balljoint on backorder for my car that is supposedly made in Japan by Three-Five, which are decent.

Don't know what car this is for. Check if Timken or NSK make bearings for your application.

Korea != North Korea; not saying there is confusion in this post, but there has been in the past.

LG is Korean as is Samsung. No reason they can't make quality bearings too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Are you asking from a technical, moral, geopolitical, macroeconomic, or other standpoint?

Technically, a part of any quality can be made in any country. Nikon makes some of the best cameras in the world - exclusively in Taiwan.

But the better lenses are still MIJ..
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
I'd use it. S. Korea has a more modern steel industry than you can find here.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Korea != North Korea; not saying there is confusion in this post, but there has been in the past.

Having good foundries doesn't mean you can produce accurate ball bearings. Most businesses are using global supply chains these days, so having a good steel industry in Korea tells you nothing about 1) the geometric form of the actual bearings made there or 2) what kind of steel a given Korean bearing manufacturer might be using. Could be Korean bearing maker using Timken steel or Ovako steel.

And while there's no reason to logically assume Korea isn't capable of making high quality bearings, it's just as invalid to assume they are. Or that one could even generalize about Korean bearings.

Just as in China where both quality and junk are made, I suspect that one could find both junk and quality produced in Korea if one searched with that intent.

FWIW, I don't consider bearings a place to try and save money. An ABEC class 9 bearing is 1.2 MICRONS runout. Not just anybody can do that.

Everyone is in love with Timken which are made in China now. I took a gamble on a "WJB" bearing and, as far as I could tell, it was identical to the Timken.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Everyone is in love with Timken which are made in China now.

I put a Timken hub bearing on my Accord recently and it was made in America.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
AZ had the best price, when I priced hubs lately, & they were Timken, too. The $35 GC /$100 ship to home made them cheaper than AAP.

AZ only carries Moog and Duralast for this vehicle.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

North Korea = Nukes
South Korea = LG and Samsungs origin..... but are also made in China

What you need is made in USA and better than anything so far discussed on this forum. My GM vehicles use Moog/Timken/SKF/ACDelco wheel bearing hub #513179. This fits 78 vehicles from 2000 to 2011 and up; GM is lazy when it comes to updating common parts. These are designed for failure. Look at the illustrations on this Ebay page:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40...ng&_sacat=0

Then open another tab and look at the WBI bearing (Wheel Bearings Inc), made in MI, USA. Here's pictures of theirs next to SKF:

Which one looks sturdier? Pick your vehicle on their product search page: http://www.wheelbearingsinc.com/search.cfm

Then search on Ebay for what you need by part number. They are carried by firehouse auto on Ebay; price is $99 and shipping is included: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272114901391?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Yes, I'm great and you're welcome. Oh, yeah, they have a two year warranty. Beat that at AutoBone.

Last edited:
Looks can be deceiving. It looks like OE, SKF, Timken, etc mount the reluctor ring external and cover it with a boot and this one is mounted internally on the back making it longer.
Its very possible the bearing is the same size or even smaller, the part of the hub that houses the bearing itself looks much larger and beefier on the SKF. It might be a good unit but I wouldn't get carried away based on how it looks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back