Which hose clamp pliers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for recommendations for hose clamp pliers suitable for diy / infrequent use. Would like to spend around $20, less if possible.

I'm looking for something that locks and is easy to use in more confined spaces / awkward angles. My initial research has uncovered the flexible ratcheting type are poor quality until you spend $40 so I've ruled them out.

Amazon has plenty of regular hose clamp pliers with good reviews but I'm looking for personal recommendations from bitog enthusiasts.

I have these:
OTC4525.jpg

OTC 4525 Cable-Type Flexible Hose Clamp Pliers ($45), but honestly almost never use them. They are great for the one or two hard to reach spots, but most places I've found a regular set does just fine.

These are the ones that I use on an almost daily basis:
61nRnhbKBlL._SY450_.jpg

Genius Tools (AT-HC12) Heater Hose Clamp Pliers ($20)

I have those flexible cable jobs. Love them. They make very simple the impossible without them. Fit in really tight and awkward spots, and able to ratchet down and lock. Replacing the clamps is just as easy. I don't remember what I paid for them, but it wasn't $45. Check on Ebay.

I bought the cable Craftsman version. It's been incredibly handy to have that "third hand" to get at hard to reach clamps.

Mayhew 28680 -- but you'll never buy them because they cost 5 times your budget.
You'd have to starve yourself for a month to buy them.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I bought the cable Craftsman version. It's been incredibly handy to have that "third hand" to get at hard to reach clamps.

Same here. It is the rare hose clamp that can even be accessed by regular pliers on my cars. Most are buried deep in the engine bay and I have to guide the jaw assembly of the cable actuated pliers onto the clamp ears using long screwdrivers.

I have the Craftsman version as well. Mine is made in Italy. It came with a spare cable anchor in case the cable broke.

the flexable cable pliers are the ones i've always wanted but never bought.

I just have normal pliers. One day i'll buy a cable plier one.

Once I purchased those cable pliers I wondered how I mucked around cooling systems without them. Or any other spring-band/spring-tension clamps. The regular spring-band pliers would have left me high and dry on a few clamps during my recent cooling system services.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Oro_O
For occasional use, offset long-reach pliers like these work just fine:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-pc-20-offset-45-angle-long-reach-pliers-61587.html

I never have a problem getting at almost anything, especially hose clamps, with a set similar to that.

I used something similar with good results.

I have a similar three piece set. I believe BrianMobile1 showed a cute trick which I have applied. I cut the slots on the jaws which hooks up on the end of the clamps. I don't have have the url handy but I am sure you can find it.

Anybody mod a set a pliers to make their own hose clamp pliers - I've done a pretty extensive web search and didn't find anything that helpful. If someone could post a link it would be great. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: spavel6
I have these:
OTC4525.jpg

OTC 4525 Cable-Type Flexible Hose Clamp Pliers ($45), but honestly almost never use them. They are great for the one or two hard to reach spots, but most places I've found a regular set does just fine.

These are the ones that I use on an almost daily basis:
61nRnhbKBlL._SY450_.jpg

Genius Tools (AT-HC12) Heater Hose Clamp Pliers ($20)

I also have those two styles. I also prefer to use the second type, but the first type gets into tougher, harder to reach spots. Most importantly, pay attention to how you orient your new hose clamps so that it's easier to access the next time.

Originally Posted By: greasegunn
Anybody mod a set a pliers to make their own hose clamp pliers - I've done a pretty extensive web search and didn't find anything that helpful. If someone could post a link it would be great. Thanks.
Funny, I am not able to find it either :-( I will try to explain.

Take one of the 45 degree angled pliers. Suppose you want to hold a penny vertical in the jaw. As it is, it won't stay there. But if you Dremmel thin slot along the jaw, the penny will be very stable between the two slots of the two jaws.

Those relief slots grab the tabs on the clamp and the pliers does not slip.

I hope explanation makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back