Cummins/Fleetguard Fuel "Filter-in-Filter" FS43257

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from my automatic Cummins 6.7 Ram. No idea how long it was in there, so I changed it just to be on the safe side. Turns out to have been good judgement, because it was kinda ugly.

This filter system uses a large filter on the outside to catch larger particles, and then a 5-micron filter on the inside, to catch smaller particles. Seems to work pretty well, but I'm going to put a big CAT 2-micron filter under the frame anyway to really keep the crud away from the injectors.

Filter-out-of-filter:

Can't play with these injectors, so I'm doing everything I can to keep them happy.

Happy injectors happy life is what they say. Lol nah I mean they are costly on diesel trucks it's worth the investment to get cat filter.

They look normal to me. Mine look like that all the time. I change them every 500hrs. 12,000 miles or so. The big one does have a bit of a wave on the ends though.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Why does the finer particulate filter (5 micron inner) have bigger/more area in the pleats than the larger/outer circumference filter?

I think one is a water stripping filter and the inner filter is the finer filter.

Does diesel float on top of water?
I know water sinks when 'mixed' with gasoline.

So, could a filter work at single digit microns? You know, since it would be so restrictive to the high viscosity diesel fuel.

I may go google that now, to see the 100C viscosities of diesel and gasoline unless anyone has it on hand.

No. 2 at 40C is about 2.98 cSt kinematic viscopedia

gasoline .40 cSt at 100F and .46 cSt at 60F .....up to .88 cSt at 60F Centistokes according to engineeringtoolbox.com

So, it seems gasoline is quite a bit 'thinner' than diesel so maybe they use a different grade of cellulose or a high pressure fuel pump.

The lift pumps for our engines are not high pressure at all. Just meant to bring the fuel up to the high pressure pump.

Size is a factor. Diesel fuel filters are quite a bit larger than the tiny cans you will usually find under a gas vehicle.

Per Fleetguard:The FS2 is a two-stage filter that double cleans the fuel and provides a proven approach to fuel/water separation that is increasingly important with Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) and biodiesel fuels. The first stage of the filter provides the initial filtration and also serves to combine any water in the fuel into larger droplets. The second-stage filter provides more particle removal; plus, it removes the water droplets generated by the first-stage media. The combined filtration performance of the two-stage filter yields a five-micron rating (@ 98.7% efficiency).

I run the FS53000 on my 2012 which is the nanonet version,it's two-stage fuel filter as well with a 5 micron outer filter with a 3 micron inner filter for better filtration compared to older filter the (FS43255) which was OEM stock at 5 micron only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back