BP has lowered their additive levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
BP used to advertise higher additive levels than Top Tier requirements for all grades of fuel. Those days are now gone with the "new" fuel they released in April:

"BP is a registered TOP TIER™ retailer and Amoco Ultimate with Invigorate® goes one step further by surpassing Top Tier treat rate levels."

https://mybpstation.com/faq

Amoco Ultimate is the premium BP fuel.

I'm saddened by this.

Last edited:
They are trying to stay competative. BP is usually 2 cents per gallon higher than everyone else in my area. Almost nobody knows that this is due to the additional additive expense. So the average Joe doesn't know and doesn't care. Just give them a good price.

I don't think cars like high treat levels constantly. Like you taking Milk of Magnesia everyday - just in case.

The new Gumout Complete PEA seem to work very well. I did a 1/2 treat and gained 0.3MPG and better power after 2 tanks (one treat tank and the other untreated). This is over a blend of Sunoco 94 and 87. ~4.5 gal premium and the rest 87. Gives me my heretofore MISSING 170 HP.

I understood that as Amoco Ultimate is now BP's premium 93 octane fuel. Not that they've reduced additive levels.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I don't think cars like high treat levels constantly. Like you taking Milk of Magnesia everyday - just in case.

The new Gumout Complete PEA seem to work very well. I did a 1/2 treat and gained 0.3MPG and better power after 2 tanks (one treat tank and the other untreated). This is over a blend of Sunoco 94 and 87. ~4.5 gal premium and the rest 87. Gives me my heretofore MISSING 170 HP.

Right.

Originally Posted By: walterjay
They are trying to stay competative. BP is usually 2 cents per gallon higher than everyone else in my area. Almost nobody knows that this is due to the additional additive expense. So the average Joe doesn't know and doesn't care. Just give them a good price.
$.02 ain't nothing! Out here the difference between generic and top tier fuel is measured in dollars

Originally Posted By: 5170
I understood that as Amoco Ultimate is now BP's premium 93 octane fuel. Not that they've reduced additive levels.

The premium is the only one that goes beyond the TT levels. That is quite clear from their statement. It used to be that all grades of BP were well above TT levels.

I never saw any performance gains in my cars with BP....

Shell V-Power, and Phllips66 perform better.

BP needs to work on the add pack, good thing they are reducing it, it didn't seem to work, at least no mpg gains.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: 5170

The premium is the only one that goes beyond the TT levels. That is quite clear from their statement. It used to be that all grades of BP were well above TT levels.

I thought you meant something else. Well, if they meet Top Tier standards, good enough for me.

Is there a link to confirm this statement. Where does it say in the FAQ that the additives were reduced?

My understanding was they fill premium first and have any overage it goes to mid grade and so on. As much as I love pure gas and toptier,id rather get petrol from somewhere that moves volumes of fuel than fuel that sits too.

Originally Posted By: SubieMovie
Is there a link to confirm this statement. Where does it say in the FAQ that the additives were reduced?

They aren't going to make that specific statement. They used to advertise all grades were around 5x above federal minimums and 2x TT minimums. They now clearly say their grades meet TT standards except for the premium which goes beyond TT requirements.

From BPs FAQ for Ultimate

" Ordinary Fuel refers to minimum detergency gasoline. Dirt refers to deposits on critical engine parts. Requires continuous use over 5000 miles. Restores an average of 3 - 5 miles per tank that had been lost due to deposits. Based on fleet testing representative of the U.S. car population. Fuel economy can be affected by many factors. Benefits may be more significant in older model vehicles "

Obviously once a vehicle fuel system is clean then its clean. Do need you extra detergents ?

Is BP confessing all of its other fuel grades make the fuel system dirty.

Benefits older vehicles more ? Why is this due to lack of maintenance over the years ?

If the vehicle is maintained properly ie correct emissions etc does this mean fuels with less detergents are just as good as the fuel is fully combusted as per OEM specs ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back