Sick of TPMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure which forum this should go in but I though I would try here first.

Is anyone doing their own winter to summer tire change overs? I used to buy an extra set of wheels and have tires mounted on them and simply swap my tires in the spring and fall myself. With the advent of TPMS I haven’t been doing this lately because I cannot reset the TPMS on my Honda’s. It’s costing me about $180 per year per car to dismount, mount, and reset the TPMS. I suppose I could just buy the extra wheels and reset the TPMS at the beginning of the season but it is still a PITA to go to the shop and have this done. How are you guys handling TPMS? I don’t want to drive around with the light on. Anyone have their own (affordable) TPMS system tool?

because it's a "safety" feature mandated by the US government, it can't be turned off. I took my dash gauges apart and covered the light with electrical tape. I still get an error message during the winter months, but I refuse to pay $400 for extra sensors in the winter wheels. I'm an expert at using a pressure gauge;)

I ran my front snows on (-2 sized) 14" steelies with no tpms. In fact I have my like new steelies and 2 season old winterforce sittong on the front porch to pretty much give away guys. Sized for a Honda fit or maybe civic too?

No TPMS disallowed shutting off the traction control and put the car into a "safe" mode. Couldn't spin the tires when you needed to, nearly caused several sure death accidents. Thanks uncle sam you @$%%&^&!
Safety? BAhhh!!!

Last edited:
When I had my 08 Civic Si, I had a set of summer and winter wheels.

The stock OE wheels had snow tires mounted, and the aftermarket rims had summer tires. I didn't get TMPS in the summer wheels. yes there was a little light on the dash, but it didnt bother me. You can also do the cabby trick of putting black tape over that spot.

Some cars you can install sensors in the wheels and the car will pick them up, hondas you need to have one set "paired" with the car at a time. I figured I check my air pressure enough anyway, and how many cars never had it to begin with?

One more reason to purchase older cars! My wife's car always has the TPM light on, even if I literally have just driven out of the gas station after carefully checking all four tires. Same thing with other cars I have driven. Talk about crying wolf--it's just training us all to think we should ignore warning lights!

I used to think it was nonsense.

On my way down to South Padre Island for my honeymoon, we were driving through south texas traffic, light came on in my Grand Marquis.

Big screw stuck in the tire, leaking air.

Glad the sensor alerted me of it, so I didn't have a blowout at a high rate of speed.

Some safety stuff is good, also reminds you to check the air pressure in the tires.

You all need to remember that we are the exception, not the norm.

Most car owners only get their tire pressures checked when they take it to Jiffy Lube every 8000 miles and then that only happens when Jiffy Lube takes the time to do it.

I put the TPMS to my advantage in our van, and on my former Impala. Once I trust the numbers, or at least knew the variance, I use that to check my pressures. I don't put a gauge on my Van's tires unless I'm actually inflating/deflating the tires. My Neon is another story, so I have to keep an eye on the tires.

Another benefit to the TPMS, say you are driving down the road and pick something up in the tire. The warning light is going to go off when it's around 20-25psi rather than you not realizing until it's too late and you eat up a tire, or blow one out. You can get over to the side of the road and you will likely save the tire to where it just needs a repair rather than a replacement or even save your fender since you avoided a blowout.

Unfortunately, this all costs more.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

On my way down to South Padre Island for my honeymoon, we were driving through south texas traffic, light came on in my Grand Marquis.

Glad the sensor alerted me of it, so I didn't have a blowout at a high rate of speed.

Some safety stuff is good, also reminds you to check the air pressure in the tires.
So what you're saying is you can't tell when a tire is going flat.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: JustinH

So what you're saying is you can't tell when a tire is going flat.

lol.gif

I just ignore the TPMS warning light when I have my winter tires and steelies mounted...it doesn't take long before you don't even notice it anymore...I wouldn't want my tires remounted on my wheels 2x every year (and the $ it costs) they're bound to ding up your nice aluminum wheels..

If it's a newer Honda, you shouldn't have to worry about TPMS wheel sensors. I don't have any experience with it, but I've heard that Honda went back to the old school way with using the wheel speed sensors to detect tire issues as opposed to pressure sensors in the wheels. Why they can't all do this is beyond me. I too absolutely HATE the sensors in the wheels.

Yeah I agree. I've ignored my tpms light for ohh 30k miles. I am a certified trained air gauge professional
smile.gif
It's just another way to get more money from people cloaked in the name of "safety".

I am not going to say it's not helpful.. Because it can be IF it works properly. When mine went off I went out in doggone near 0°F windchill and inspectedy tires and checked all 4 with an air gauge. I bet the battery went south in one of them. Not worth the $200 for me to invest in and " fix".

Last edited:
I know a local tire/repair shop tried every scan tool in their arsenal when they installed a set of aftermarket TPMS sensors in our 2008 Honda Odyssey LX they had in stock, and supposedly worked well for them in the past. They couldn't get them to work with this van and ultimately pulled them and installed plain rubber valve stems N/C. Spent a good hour or more tinkering too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back