Chevrolet TV commercials

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK guys, who else find those Chevrolet commercials ridiculous?
Real people not actors?
It looks like Audi? No it looks like BMW? It is better then my Audi. No it does not look like Audi, BMW and no, definitely is not better then Audi. Then guys cutting lumber, for 3/4 of commercial, and then in the end truck shows up asking them: Wouldn't you like also to have strongest truck in class? What is focus of ad, STIHL chainsaw or truck?
When I see it on TV it is like someone is drilling my brain.

I just like how the truck is always a loaded LT crew cab with a (looks like a) four foot bed, a $60K truck that can't haul anything but people, or maybe a trailer. Not a lot of contractors driving those!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I just like how the truck is always a loaded LT crew cab with a (looks like a) four foot bed, a $60K truck that can't haul anything but people, or maybe a trailer. Not a lot of contractors driving those!

True!
And guys cutting lumber having perfectly ironed shirts etc lol.

Illogical.
If they want to compare a powersaw to a handsaw, you should compare the truck to bicycling.

Many Trucks are too powerfull now as is, over-cammed; They need more down low torque. I guess the 2.7turbo ford does a good job there.

It's advertising.

The people who legitimately need a truck aren't going to be swayed by a cheesy commercial; they already have their brand loyalty or they will fire up the websites and see which truck is the best fit for them and then go to make a deal.

This commercial is marketed to those who work in an office, never haul anything more than a bag of mulch from Home Depot / Lowes yet feel the need to have a big brute of a truck to validate themselves and their masculinity.

If they were advertising the capability of a Chevy truck on the job, we'd see at least a full size bed, vinyl interior, steel wheels.

What I don't get are those ads which portray a brand's owners as complete and total dimwits- such as the execrable "Camry Family" spot of a few years ago or the Camry SE ad with the moron girl telling us that the car feels "grounded to the ground." And it's not just Toyota. The Ford "Press Conference" ads where nitwit owners took questions and gave idiotic answers was also pretty bad.

Somehow I don't think that the subliminal message of "Our owners are brain dead- why not join them?" is a winning long-term strategy.

Chevy lost any credibility back in 1973 when a Cheyenne 4x4 pickup pulled a house,a ship,logging trailers in commercials that prove Chevy "toughness"....yea right.

I'm glad I have a TiVo and just skip all of those Chevy commercials -- the few times I have seen them I found them to be cringe-worthy. I can't believe they're still cranking out new ones.

I'm sorry, but no one sitting in a Malibu is going to think it's a [censored] BMW or Audi. Even non-car people aren't that stupid.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

Somehow I don't think that the subliminal message of "Our owners are brain dead- why not join them?" is a winning long-term strategy.

GM has never really been what I would label as an 'expert' in winning long-term strategies...clearly their advertising arm/ad company isn't any better.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
OK guys, who else find those Chevrolet commercials ridiculous?
Real people not actors?
It looks like Audi? No it looks like BMW? It is better then my Audi. No it does not look like Audi, BMW and no, definitely is not better then Audi.

Its a commercial, what do you expect?

However, I'd agree with them that its better than an Audi in at least some ways. Pretty much anything is going to be less complex and more reliable than the lower tier of German cars like VW/Audi, even if they do achieve a few of the aspects of higher-tier German cars.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
What I don't get are those ads which portray a brand's owners as complete and total dimwits- such as the execrable "Camry Family" spot of a few years ago or the Camry SE ad with the moron girl telling us that the car feels "grounded to the ground." And it's not just Toyota. The Ford "Press Conference" ads where nitwit owners took questions and gave idiotic answers was also pretty bad.

At lease the SE has real performance parts in it.

I think the best commercial showing lately is the Dodge brothers
picking up the farmers daughters in their Chargers, the farmer smiling when he hears the hemis coming down the road until he watches them pull up and the daughters come running out LOL

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Chevy lost any credibility back in 1973 when a Cheyenne 4x4 pickup pulled a house,a ship,logging trailers in commercials that prove Chevy "toughness"....yea right.

And that was worse than the Ford truck plowing a field? Or the more recent Tundra towing the retired space shuttle? Or the old 1970s tire commercials where they drove steel-belted tires across a field of axe blades or drill bits?

: Oops... the field plowing was also Chevy, not Ford.

C'mon. Car commercials have always catered to non-car literate people, they're going to be annoyingly STUPID to those of us who actually know about vehicles.

At least this one for Ford was entertaining in a sorta mythbusters "lets make a lot of sparks and smoke"way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvyKpJZ4CRU

Last edited:
TV commercials by auto manufacturers in general are really terrible.

The absolute worst ones are the ones that are targeted toward specific cultures.

It's clear that these commercials are geared toward the absolute lowest form of intelligence.

Call the commercials stupid, but from a business perspective, they are pretty smart. The manufacturers have realized that the real car guys are an ever-shrinking part of their customer base. Car guys want to hear about compression ratios, rear axle gearing, hp/torque curves, etc. The larger consumer population couldn't care less, just so long as their Bluetooth works, they can fit their starbucks cup in the console, and the vehicle choice fits their ego whether they view themselves as as "rugged", "environmentally conscious", etc., etc.

Catering the "dumbed down" buyers is probably the right strategy. As car guys, we'll never like it, but it's probably what sells cars.

Yeah I agree edyvw.. Not actors... Right. The one guy on the Chevy commercial where the doors open up has a voice very similar like Mike Rowe. That man could make some pretty good cash doing voice over work just like Mike Rowe has.

I find nearly all truck commercials ridiculous! The evening "news" is full of them. Definitely way too idiotic for true gearheads, like BITOGers.

All Hat and no Cattle!

Where's the Beef?

I personally chuckle when they gawk at the "amazing" audi-like Malibu, and are told it starts at $22k.. The fine print below says, "as shown, $36k".. well, yea, for an additional $14k you can buy two cars. No way the $22k car feels like an Audi..

What's worse? Advertising is the BIGGEST industry in the United States.

Isn't that comforting. We make bull fertilizer.

NOTE: Other countries advertise too and I'm sure it could be their biggest industry as well.
So let's skip the part where any "red, white and blue-I'm better than you-all American" BITOGers call me out for being anti American.

I'm just pointing something out. I just wish we weren't as demonstrably stupid, non discriminating and consumeristic as a nation. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back