Windows Updates - Forced to Install by Mircosoft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
If you are set up to not automatically download the updates, and if you go to the update page and hide them, they will not download.

Maybe that was the problem. I still had automatic updates on. I corrected that after GWX Control Panel was installed.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
If you are set up to not automatically download the updates, and if you go to the update page and hide them, they will not download.

Maybe that was the problem. I still had automatic updates on. I corrected that after GWX Control Panel was installed.

I've got my Windows Updates set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

Now I'm starting to 'hide' all the updates associated with Windows 10. That should stop any automatic updated ... for now.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
The good news keeps rolling in

Great ...
eek.gif

For some reason I stopped getting the GWX pop-up a while ago from the system tray icon, which is still there. I haven't loaded anything to get rid of the GWX icon yet, so don't know why the pop-up stopped happening. I check my Windows Updates status daily to make sure I'm not auto-scheduled. Wish Microsoft would bet out of my house!

Look for the GWX folder. It has a couple Gigs of data in it usually that has already been downloaded.

Look for the GWX folder. It has a couple Gigs of data in it usually that has already been downloaded.

I already and found and manually delete the $Windows.~BT folder.

Article explaining:
Cleaning GWX Off Your Computer

I've had Windows 10 for quite a while now and used the Windows 10 Menu for about 10 minutes, before switching to ClassicShell Start Button and the old Window 7/8 Desktop look.

Very-very happy with Windows 10. Computer is ultra fast and no ads, thanks to Adblock Plus and Firefox.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

I've got my Windows Updates set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

Now I'm starting to 'hide' all the updates associated with Windows 10. That should stop any automatic updated ... for now.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
The good news keeps rolling in

Great ...
eek.gif

For some reason I stopped getting the GWX pop-up a while ago from the system tray icon, which is still there. I haven't loaded anything to get rid of the GWX icon yet, so don't know why the pop-up stopped happening. I check my Windows Updates status daily to make sure I'm not auto-scheduled. Wish Microsoft would bet out of my house!

I have these settings as well plus the registry settings posted by Overkill, but I saw this one in my Control Panel this morning which I've hidden.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3090508...de-warning.html
Right click then Hide KB3173040.
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back