Oil for ticking 2012 Kia Forte ex

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend has a 2012 Kia Forte ex. It seems to have a top end tick, louder when first started and decreases in noise slightly after its ran for a bit, but the noise is still there. I've tried qsud and PP 5w20 with no change in the noise. I'm wondering if there is an oil that is known to be the quietest? Also her car specs 5w20 or 5w30. I've been using 20, would a 30 help more with this?

In the manual it says 5w20 for fuel economy but 5w30 can be used no issues. Or even 10w30 if in a warm climate.

Your not going to get a lemon law on a 4 yera old car , that is still functioning. Try 10w30. My cars spec 5w20 and I run 10w30. The oil stays cleaner looking and they run smoother. I am currently running Mobil 0w40 in the Ford F150 and getting better gas mileage than ever.

What kind of filter are you using?
Hyundai/Kia's prefer their OEM oil filters, a few TSBs have been released for a couple of engines to use OEM filters or you may hear ticking or knocking.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Lemon Law..
Free brand new car.. call them and see if you qualify. It is 100% free

uh no its 4.5 years old and only making noise

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
another 20 grade early DEATH.

Seriously, Likely VVTi falling apart like they all do.

Just because you abuse and explode your engines doesn't mean others do. Seriously you are about the last person that should give out engine advise.. because what you are doing blows more engines than anyone else I have heard of.

Try an oem oil filter they are good quality and there is a tsb out for engine ticking/noise with certain aftermarket filters.

If running fine, don't worry. It's most likely the GDI system as a previous poster mentioned. The oil filter won't give you top-end tick so it's doubtful a filter change will alleviate the 'issue.'

If run QSUD/PP/Any 5w30 SYNBlend/Synthetic that meets mfgr specs. Paired with OEM filter. They can be found on Amazon for less that 3.50$ sometimes

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
What kind of filter are you using?
Hyundai/Kia's prefer their OEM oil filters, a few TSBs have been released for a couple of engines to use OEM filters or you may hear ticking or knocking.

I've read this a few times...where they recommend using OEM filters. Would this be due to a weak oil pump, which in turn would require a high flow, poorly filtering filter, to keep the pressure up?

I use only oem hyundai/kia filters. We've had the car for 2 years and it's been like this the whole time. Just wanting to try and eliminate it. It's not a gdi engine. It's just a 2.0l 4 cyl. No direct injection. Will 5w30 help at all? I don't want to run 10w30 as it gets cold here in ny in the winter and in the manual it says to only use 10w30 if it's above 30 degrees Fahrenheit and it's not in ny during the winter.

The noise is typical for this engine. I've been using 5W20 synthetic with OEM filter and still get the noise in my 2011 Koupe.

Both my 2011 2.4L and 2015 2.0L GDI do not make this noise...

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I use only oem hyundai/kia filters. We've had the car for 2 years and it's been like this the whole time. Just wanting to try and eliminate it. It's not a gdi engine. It's just a 2.0l 4 cyl. No direct injection. Will 5w30 help at all? I don't want to run 10w30 as it gets cold here in ny in the winter and in the manual it says to only use 10w30 if it's above 30 degrees Fahrenheit and it's not in ny during the winter.

Not sure what the problem is, but I would try an 0w30 in the winter or the 10w30 in the summer AND keep the next oil change interval short to help clean up the block.
OEM, Bosch or Mann (Made in Germany only) oil filter, OEM of Bosch (Made in Germany only) fuel filter.
Also when you do a full service, try using a good major brand fuel additive. I use Liqui Moly SpeedTec, but there are lots of cheaper equivalents.

VVT bearing or retaining pin wear can both cause rattles and if you don't want to fix it (Best done when the cam belt service is done), then I would use an idle only flush (Liqui Moly or Amsoil) and then try Ceratec to see if it reduces the rattle, in addition to moving up from the 20's to the 30's.
Don't use a flush if you have any oil leaks, just short OCI's.

Last edited:
Would castrol 0w30 work? I've read it's really thick for a 30 weight and almost is a 40 weight. Would that be too thick?

Use the KIA filter with a 30 weight of your choice. Personally its not GDI , I would just use PYB 5w-30. From what I see everyday at work , the engines that get 30 weight are more reliable. If I had a KIA no matter the engine it would not get a 20 weight. These engines are specd for 5w-40 in Australia and they dont explode down under. The 20 weight is only used to meet CAFE in the US, use 30 weight and sleep better.

"OEM, Bosch or Mann (Made in Germany only) oil filter"

OEM is MANN Made in Korea,
Why would you say German only MANN?

Last edited:
if they dont fix it and you still have problems Breach of contract is good for the entire warranty 10 yrs or 100,000 miles if you are the original owner. Their is a whole lot more to lemon law.

This is a good day for lemon law questions i have a lemon law Attorney sleeping at my house for a couple of days..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back