CarMax M3 Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://oppositelock.kinja.com/carmax-warranty-for-the-m3-saved-my-wallet-1776735614

"BMW determined that the problem was a broken valve spring on cylinder number 6 and informed CarMax that it would be over 30 hours of labor to fix the issue"

xrekxmb74oxazcwr6ixs.jpg

I am simply floored BMW has little confidence in themselves to give a 5yr/60k or even longer powertrain warranty. I see why folks lease these and Audi with similar warranty.

I am way to chicken to own a garage queen BMW. I see why friends dump them at 2nd massive repair past extended warranty. Wife friend loves the BMW 535ix with 6 speed manual except for dealer time.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I am simply floored BMW has little confidence in themselves to give a 5yr/60k or even longer powertrain warranty. I see why folks lease these and Audi with similar warranty.

No different than all the other manufacturers (most of them) that only do 5/60k. The lone exception being Hyundai/Kia.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
30hr labor! Wow you could change the whole engine in less time than that

Engine R/R is probably 20 hours book time for many vehicles.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

No different than all the other manufacturers (most of them) that only do 5/60k. The lone exception being Hyundai/Kia.

BMW/Audi/mini/jag/Porsche are only 4yr/50k powertrain.

It sounds horrible, but... isn't an M3 something of a performance car? As such... doesn't it have repair costs inline with the purchase price & pedigree?

Glad the warranty worked out for him, but this is really just another story where the warranty worked out.

BMW/Audi/mini/jag/Porsche are only 4yr/50k powertrain.

Just checked and you are right. I figured they were all at lease 60k. You get a longer warranty (60k) with VW than Audi.

The M3 is a performance sedan. It also shouldn't have ever broken a valve spring. The computer will keep the engine from over speeding. You can't even bodge a down shift and break it.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
The M3 is a performance sedan. It also shouldn't have ever broken a valve spring. The computer will keep the engine from over speeding. You can't even bodge a down shift and break it.

Anything can break. I agree this is a very rare type of failure, but you've got a V8 spinning past 8 grand. Those valve springs are working hard.

(I frequent the M3 boards and I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone breaking a valve spring)

Originally Posted By: dparm

Anything can break. I agree this is a very rare type of failure, but you've got a V8 spinning past 8 grand. Those valve springs are working hard.

(I frequent the M3 boards and I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone breaking a valve spring)

Do you have an extended warranty on yours? Have you ventured past the warranty too far?

ITT: everyone bashes German cars for being unreliable and perpetuates that stereotype

*eye roll*

Sterotypes exist for a reason.

Do you have an extended warranty on yours? Have you ventured past the warranty too far?

Yes, I have BMW's Extended Vehicle Protection.

Originally Posted By: maximus
ITT: everyone bashes German cars for being unreliable and perpetuates that stereotype

*eye roll*

Yes, wild overgeneralizations and ignorance, in my experience.

This is not the 1980s. The Germans make reliable cars.

Originally Posted By: maximus

*eye roll*

Yes, wild overgeneralizations and ignorance, in my experience.

This is not the 1980s. The Germans make reliable cars.

Agree on generally reliable for warranty period into extended period. However another fact with German vehicles is expensive vehicle repair at dealers or indy's outside the warranty.

Buying extended warranties on German cars is always worth it IMO.

My aunt paid $950 for an extended warranty on her 2013 VW Beetle TDI. Has 43k miles now and the extended warranty has paid out over $2,000.

I wonder how they make money?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Buying extended warranties on German cars is always worth it IMO.

I wonder how they make money?

People pay nearly the same for that on a more reliable car to make up the difference. The sales of German cars used and overall new is considerably smaller then other more statistically more reliable makes/less expensive to repair makes.

Think health insurance, German vehicles are the sick ones
smile.gif
in terms of payout that the healthy ones carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back