Fed up with cheap imported gas grills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting discussion.

I wonder which ones are a better value for annual cost -- a cheap grill or an expensive grill? I assume that either type will not last forever, and at some point will need some parts replaced.

Mine, for example, is a 15 year old Char Broil. The case is cast aluminum and the grates are cast iron. So these parts hold up quite well. The stainless steel burners have been replaced once and I have another set in the garage in case I can't find replacement in the future.

With care, it has held up quite well.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
I've had a Huntington for few years I got at Menards and I really like it, it gets hotter faster than any other grill I've owned. I think I have the Rebel with four burners and one on the back for the rotisserie with cast iron grates. Leaves some nice grill lines
smile.gif

They are made in the US and in Canada but under Broil King.

I have a stainless Huntington from the 40's. Neat old briquet BBQ. My 12 year old Sears Elite gas stainless is still in very good condition. Sits on a covered deck.

We just went with charcoal after our cheapie gas one went through its 3rd set of burners and the valves started to act up.
We don't entertain dozens of people at once and it seems everyone is willing to wait a bit food cooked on charcoal as its unusual these days. With a chimney starter it doesn't take long to get the coals going without starter fluid and my wife seems to have the knack for getting the temps right.

I've lost patience with messing with charcoal.

Regular charcoal forget it, I can barely deal with the match light stuff.

By the time I get home from work, I want to grill a couple pieces of chicken for my wife and I and eat, not wait 45 minutes for coals to ash over.

We are looking at the $99 charbroil gas grill from lowes. If it lasts me two years, great. I think it is a disposable item.

We grilled on a tabletop propane grill for years when we had an apartment so this is an upgrade, lol.

We have a Weber Genesis, I think it's a "Gold B" model that's probably 10 years old or so. 3 burners, the stainless lid and grates, no side burners or lower "cabinet" doors or anything of that sort. The high end, low feature model, which is the sort of thing I like.

It's on it's 3rd regulator and 2nd cover but otherwise I have not had to replace anything and it still works great. We use it year round, 1-4x per week. I think we spent $600-700 on it. If or when this thing ever gives it up I'll gladly pay for another, as I'm not sure cheap grills actually save any money in the long run and certainly waste your time when you have to replace it.

jeff

I've been using the cheapest gas grill ever for something like 10 years, and it is still going. I saw some grills on clearance at Target after the summer, but the prices were missing so I chose an Aussie grill with one side burner, in a box, and had someone help me get it to the cashier. When it rang up as I think $6.98 I said that must be an error, but the cashier said take it, so I did. About a year ago I replaced the burner and the heat deflector and this year I replaced the regulator and hose. Use it a lot all summer, and it lives outside in the yard uncovered winter and summer. I discovered that things rusted quicker if I covered it because it trapped moisture underneath. Besides, it's easier to use if I don't have to remove the cover!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back