Are Nankgang tyres any good

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCD

My option for tyres is pretty limited where i live, i need 185/70R13 Tyres and locally i can only get Nankangs, i've heard mixed reviews about Nankang tyres some saying they are ok, and other saying they are awful and wear quickly, should i just order online and get another brand? atm i have Yokohama S306s that have probably been on for 10 years now, they have plenty of tread still left on them since i do just about 1200mi / 2000 Km a year, but they are pretty hard now and in the wet i have to be pretty careful since i can kick the rear end loose with ease even without putting my foot down too much since the car is nose heavy, rear wheel drive and the rear end is very light and has an open diff.

Made in Taiwan - we didn't think they were good motorcycle tyres decades ago, but the car tyres seem pretty good to me.

At those miles, I would be looking at the softest compound tyres only!

The nankangs are on the hard end to begin with, what you describe as happeing with the yoko's is my experience with nankangs.

So find whatever tire you can. Nankang, Cooper, whatever. At this point most, if not all, 13 and 14 tires are basic economy tires, and the brand matters very little.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
My option for tyres is pretty limited where i live, i need 185/70R13 Tyres and locally i can only get Nankangs, i've heard mixed reviews about Nankang tyres some saying they are ok, and other saying they are awful and wear quickly, should i just order online and get another brand? atm i have Yokohama S306s that have probably been on for 10 years now, they have plenty of tread still left on them since i do just about 1200mi / 2000 Km a year, but they are pretty hard now and in the wet i have to be pretty careful since i can kick the rear end loose with ease even without putting my foot down too much since the car is nose heavy, rear wheel drive and the rear end is very light and has an open diff.
A LSD would be worse. you'd spin both tires. Can't you get European brand name tires shipped in from the mainland?

Are Nankgang tyres any good?

Grumpy_Cat_No_04.jpg

Unless you are about to sell the car, or maybe if it's a beater, I would stay away from these or any other off brand made in Asia tire.

When selecting tyres I never pay attention to advertising or opinions, just cold hard facts. The facts you want are the wet, dry, ice and snow braking distance figures. They are not easy to find for every tyre size, but some of the German auto mags and ADAC brakedown folks do publish unbiased figures.
There is no such thing as a best tyre, as it varies with the exact tyre size. In general terms, you get what you pay for, once you finish shopping around.

For all season tyres, Goodyear Vectors are tough to beat.
For Winter or Summer tyres, Continental are about the best, with Dunlop and Michellin a close second. After that Pirrelli do a few good ones and Nokian have also moved up the braking (Similar results to traction) distance figures.
Michellin seem to be best is you are interested in wear rate figures.

If I bought a car with Nankgang tyres on it, I would give them away!

Your Yokohama tires were 15 years old a few weeks ago:

Yokohama sounds more appealing as i have Yokohama S306s right now and they are very good, they've been on the car for 15 years and they are showing no cracks and they still have plenty of tread, but i do notice that they have gotten hard , When it's raining i have to be very careful as these cars are very tail happy and will slide the back end very easily in the wet.
Last year it was raining heavily one day and there was a lot of traffic and while i was waiting to get into a roundabout i had to pretty much floor it and a cop was close behind me and stopped me because he though i did it in purpose haha

Did you not like the comments you received in your other thread on the same topic? ( Previous thread

spankme2.gif

Vredestain Quatrac 3, it's an all weather tyre so it should have softer compound compared with summer tyres in that size, and better grip, especially in wet.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Vredestain Quatrac 3, it's an all weather tyre so it should have softer compound compared with summer tyres in that size, and better grip, especially in wet.

The Quatrac 3 has since been replaced by the Quatrac 5
smile.gif

Otherwise, you'll have to buy from a US site and find one that will ship internationally.

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

Your Yokohama tires were 15 years old a few weeks ago:

Yokohama sounds more appealing as i have Yokohama S306s right now and they are very good, they've been on the car for 15 years and they are showing no cracks and they still have plenty of tread, but i do notice that they have gotten hard , When it's raining i have to be very careful as these cars are very tail happy and will slide the back end very easily in the wet.
Last year it was raining heavily one day and there was a lot of traffic and while i was waiting to get into a roundabout i had to pretty much floor it and a cop was close behind me and stopped me because he though i did it in purpose haha

Did you not like the comments you received in your other thread on the same topic? ( Previous thread

spankme2.gif

I don't know exactly how old they are ok they are between 10 and 15, i didn't keep the receit heh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back