Can fuel system cleaner fix leaky injectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A search did not provide a definitive answer so here I am.

Can a fuel system additive such as Amsoil P.I. or Techron put in the fuel tank correct injectors that dribble fuel into the cylinder after shutdown if the cause is fallout from old fuel?

My son's Beretta with 3.1L V6 did not have this issue when he parked it last fall. However, after a winter of non-use, two injectors (cylinders 4 and 5) are leaking, presumably due to contaminants. It ran horribly when he started it this spring but eventually cleared (mostly). Remaining symptoms are a rich condition upon warm restart and a slightly rough idle.

The fuel contains no ethanol; he did not add stabilizer when he stored it.

Thanks... Mike

Welcome aboard
smile.gif

Did he get through several fresh gas tank? I think there's not much to risk trying some fuel system additive.
You may also try some 2T oil to help lubricate injectors a bit, but a fuel system additive should be better.

Originally Posted By: oilymikey

Can a fuel system additive such as Amsoil P.I. or Techron put in the fuel tank correct injectors that dribble fuel into the cylinder after shutdown if the cause is fallout from old fuel?

My son's Beretta with 3.1L V6 did not have this issue when he parked it last fall. However, after a winter of non-use, two injectors (cylinders 4 and 5) are leaking, presumably due to contaminants. It ran horribly when he started it this spring but eventually cleared (mostly). Remaining symptoms are a rich condition upon warm restart and a slightly rough idle.

Thanks... Mike

Welcome to Bitog. Shoot member Trav a PM. He has a fuel injector cleaning business and can answer that question for you and point you in the right direction.

Originally Posted By: oilymikey

Thanks... Mike

You will probably also have fuel dilution on the oil.

Trav (Paul) is the expert on this forum with respect to fuel injectors. Its his business. If you pull the injectors and send them to him he can evaluate them, clean them and evaluate them.

I purchased rebuilt injectors (from him) for my Jeep that are 4 port rather than the original single port. A good guy to deal with.

I would add a bottle of Techron, Redline or Regane and see how it goes....it can't hurt and can only help. If that doesn't work (and it should), contact Trav as mentioned....

OK, thanks for the replies.

He has filled with fresh fuel but I don't know how many times.

I'll try the less invasive procedure first, then pull the injectors if that doesn't help.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back