Schaeffer's 5w40 in a cummins n14 celect plus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Originally Posted By: DustinAsh
I understand that trucks have ran on dino for millions of miles, this one included. He is just wanting something that is going to hold up in extreme heat more so than the delvac he was running. The spun bearing was due to an oil cooler malfunction & he was just wanting a little more protection in case of another catastrophic failure. With us selling Schaeffer's products here at the feed store he will be buying it wholesale.

Hey Dustin, you can absolutely justify running high cost oils if you extend the interval to make up for it (although I have no idea what Schaeffer oil would cost him). The synthetic oils will certainly last a long time as far as maintaining a high TBN and low acidity. Your friend could add an aftermarket bypass filter and go crazy with super long oci's with sythetics.

Most of my trucks from a '97 Detroit to a '12 Volvo had the oil temps regulated at 210 and going into the 230's and 240's pulling the mountains out west. I recently traded in a '13 Volvo that allowed the oil to run up to 246-247 before cooling it. It was free to run anything up that point.

Running 15W40 for three oci's, it would run up there near the cutoff most of the time, constantly hitting the limit then cooling, and then shooting right back up. This was without climbing mountains, just cruising at near 80k lbs.

When I switched to 10W30, it took much longer to hit the 247f limit. It would get there but it took 3-4 times the miles after the cooling cycle compared to the heavier oil.

I then tried Rotella T6 (5W40) for one oci and the oil temps seemed to run even cooler. When pushing it hard in high winds and/or climbing long hills it would eventually get up to 247f to get the oil cooler to kick in but it was the slowest to climb up to that point. Mostly, oil temps remained in the mid to upper 230's using T6.

After all that typing, I believe the Schaeffer 5W40 would only be marginally beneficial in case of oil cooler failure. The synthetic could keep temps a little lower and withstand higher temps longer (lower oxidation rate) but to what point? I don't know the circumstances of your friend's truck so it's hard to say.

His oil temp is most likely regulated at 210f or abouts, so bottom line is the synthetic won't run cooler in average situations. Yes it will rise at a slower rate when climbing a mountain but that's not a big deal (unless the oil cooler is completely ruined). If he doesn't have an oil temp gauge, that would be a good addition to the truck so to watch for such problems.

I'm a Newbie Owner Operator, and I very much appreciate and listen to Tired Trucker's, Doug Hillary's, Dustyroads', and the other very knowledgeable and experienced folks on this forum.

My Truck is still under a Factory Warranty, so I adhere to the Manfacturer's requirements; 15,000 miles or 300 operating hours. It's a bit costly, but at this point, it is what it is. I picked the cheapest priced oil from one of the Big Three brands. After a lot of research and from what I've gleaned from this site, I wouldn't hesitate for one minute to use Schaeffer's fully synthetic 5W40 HDEO in my Detroit Series 60 motor, once my factory warranty runs out. Nor would I hesitate to use Mobil Delvac 1 5W40, Rotella T6 5W40, or Delo 400 5W40. I would, however install a spinner system on my motor and get into a UOA program to recoup the added cost of the synthetic HDEO.

I currently use Mobil Delvac 1300 Super conventional from Spring into late Fall/early Winter, and I used Delvac Elite 10W30 over the last Winter. I use Mobil Delvac's Oil Analysis and I've had solid results with both the 15W40 and the 10W30.

As far having oil cooler failure, I personally doubt a fully synthetic HDEO would've prevented a spun bearing, nor do I believe one would prevent one in the future. I have an oil pressure gauge and an oil temperature gauge on my dash, and I pay close attention to their readings while I'm driving, but if a catastrophic engine failure is going to happen, they're just going to happen in my opinion.

Each Trucker has unique conditions. I don't have a shop at my house, so I use Petro/TA Truck Stop shops for my pm's. I would love to have a shop at my house to do my own pm's, -hopefully I can do that one day, even if I stayed with the brand I currently use and was only able to buy them in 5 gallon pails, it would still cut down my operating costs and I enjoy doing pm's myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dak27

My Truck is still under a Factory Warranty, so I adhere to the Manfacturer's requirements; 15,000 miles or 300 operating hours. It's a bit costly, but at this point, it is what it is. I picked the cheapest priced oil from one of the Big Three brands. After a lot of research and from what I've gleaned from this site, I wouldn't hesitate for one minute to use Schaeffer's fully synthetic 5W40 HDEO in my Detroit Series 60 motor, once my factory warranty runs out. Nor would I hesitate to use Mobil Delvac 1 5W40, Rotella T6 5W40, or Delo 400 5W40. I would, however install a spinner system on my motor and get into a UOA program to recoup the added cost of the synthetic HDEO.

I currently use Mobil Delvac 1300 Super conventional from Spring into late Fall/early Winter, and I used Delvac Elite 10W30 over the last Winter. I use Mobil Delvac's Oil Analysis and I've had solid results with both the 15W40 and the 10W30.

As far having oil cooler failure, I personally doubt a fully synthetic HDEO would've prevented a spun bearing, nor do I believe one would prevent one in the future. I have an oil pressure gauge and an oil temperature gauge on my dash, and I pay close attention to their readings while I'm driving, but if a catastrophic engine failure is going to happen, they're just going to happen in my opinion.

Each Trucker has unique conditions. I don't have a shop at my house, so I use Petro/TA Truck Stop shops for my pm's. I would love to have a shop at my house to do my own pm's, -hopefully I can do that one day, even if I stayed with the brand I currently use and was only able to buy them in 5 gallon pails, it would still cut down my operating costs and I enjoy doing pm's myself.

You need to have a copy of Detroits Lube, Filter, and Fuel manual. Lots of good info in there.

http://ddcsn.com/cps/rde/xbcr/ddcsn/DDC-SVC-BRO-0001.pdf

Detroit specifically states they DO NOT void warranty for extending drains. They lay out the parameters for extending drains but do not deny warranty for doing so nor discourage doing so. You follow the guidelines and you will be in Detroit's good graces. I never followed the Detroit 60 pre-egr OEM recommendation since after the 1st oil change. I extended my drains by 50% over Detroit's base recommendation. based on deviances in UOA trend lines above 22,500, I settled on 22.500 / 450 hrs as my interval. 541,000 miles on the factory reman now, used 2 qts of oil during the last OCI, and numbers as good as when it was new.

Oh, I have gotten lazy in my older age. I don't do my oil changes either, but I use a Mack Dealership lube shop near the house. I bring the oil and filters and they change. I always everything I need on board the truck for a complete oil change. 10 gallons of Schaeffer 10w30 oil, a couple of Donaldson filters. I refill the jugs from bulk when I get home. Once I used Petro/TA and they do the same thing. Just a base shop rate and did the job for me. I'll stick with the syn blend. Very cost effective and results are great.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

You need to have a copy of Detroits Lube, Filter, and Fuel manual. Lots of good info in there.

Detroit specifically states they DO NOT void warranty for extending drains. They lay out the parameters for extending drains but do not deny warranty for doing so nor discourage doing so. You follow the guidelines and you will be in Detroit's good graces. I never followed the Detroit 60 pre-egr OEM recommendation since after the 1st oil change. I extended my drains by 50% over Detroit's base recommendation. based on deviances in UOA trend lines above 22,500, I settled on 22.500 / 450 hrs as my interval. 541,000 miles on the factory reman now, used 2 qts of oil during the last OCI, and numbers as good as when it was new.

Oh, I have gotten lazy in my older age. I don't do my oil changes either, but I use a Mack Dealership lube shop near the house. I bring the oil and filters and they change. I always everything I need on board the truck for a complete oil change. 10 gallons of Schaeffer 10w30 oil, a couple of Donaldson filters. I refill the jugs from bulk when I get home. Once I used Petro/TA and they do the same thing. Just a base shop rate and did the job for me. I'll stick with the syn blend. Very cost effective and results are great.

TiredTrucker, once again, you've helped me out a ton!!! Many, many thanks!!!
smile.gif

I called someone at Detroit Diesel in their Series 60 department, and asked how I could extend my drain intervals. He told me the 15,000 miles/300 hours was "Set in Stone", - in his words.

Did you use Detroit Diesel's Oil Analysis program while your engine was under warranty to cover your tail?

This is truly Huge news to me!

I've also considered running the Delvac Elite 10W30 year round, looks like Detroit's Ambient Temperature Chart shows the 10W30 is just as good in hot temperatures as 15W40 is. Going with the 10W30 Elite is only a $50 upcharge. If using Detroit's Oil Analysis permits me to extend my mileage and operating hours, that easily cost justifies the added cost. I guess I was mistaken that 15W40 is preferable over the 10W30 in the hotest months.

Can you tell me if you feel using a semi synthetic 10W30 for extended drains would be a better choice than using a 15W40 conventional over the same drain inerval?

As I said, the last Company Driver job I had was with an LTL Goliath. They ran 15W40 conventional for 50,000 mile intervals, not just for their DD15's, but also with their ISX Cummins motors. When they switched everything over to the 50,000 intervals, I asked the VP over Maintenance for the entire fleet how the oil was holding up, as they send in UOA's for each tractor. He said there was a small percentage of tractors that required shorter drain intervals, but 95% or better of the fleet's trucks had zero problems, according to UOA's. As he put it: "The oil holds up fine; we could actually extend to a longer drain interval, if we chose to do it."

The thought that a conventional 15W40 can withstand a 50,000 mile drain interval really surprises me. The thought that the oil could do even greater than that, tells me today's motors and lubes have come a long way. One of my brothers has been a Diesel Mechanic since the mid 70's. I remember back then, a 25,000 mile drain interval was considered pushing the envelope. I remember him grumbling that a company he was working for was "Cheap" because they had their fleet set up on 30,000 mile drain intervals.
smile.gif

One again, thanks so much for your help!!
smile.gif

Well, the guy at Detroit obviously did not open the Detroit Lube Manual. On page 14, section 4.7.1 of the current manual....

Extending oil drain intervals will not void the Detroit™ product warranty. In the event of engine failure or premature wear out when running extended oil and filter change intervals, Detroit™ will make a determination as to the extent, if any, that their workmanship and materials were responsible. If Detroit™ determines that the failure or early wear-out was related to workmanship or materials, warranty coverage of the repairs will apply. If the engine fails or wears out within the Detroit™ warranty period and Detroit™ determines it was the result of extending the oil drain intervals, any claim for reimbursement of expenses under the terms of the engine warranty will be denied.

This was after a lengthy discussion in the manual about how to go about determining extending drain intervals. True, Detroit does not "officially approve" of extending drains, they then lay out the parameters for doing so in their manual. To use an analogy from the movie "A Few Good Men", they don't approve of "code reds" officially, but unofficially, they see them as a useful tool.

The Delvac Eite 10w30 is a great oil. Friend of mine has been using it in a Cummins ISX for about 2 years now with great results. He pulls the same heavy bulk loads I do. I have seen others doing so as well. The Mack Dealership I get my oil changes done now (mostly because I am lazy nowadays and it is more convenient) has seen a study growth in the use of the Delvac Elite 10w30 for a wide range of motors in the trucks.

I have used both Oil Analyzers Inc, and Schaeffer Oil labs for my UOA's in the past, but just use Schaeffer's now. I have never used an OEM sanctioned testing lab.

Thanks for that link. As a new Detroit (DD13) owner, I found it very informative.

Thanks for that link. As a new Detroit (DD13) owner, I found it very informative.

Wow, Dusty! I didn't know you bought a new truck, congrats on your new DD13!!!

Dusty, I almost forgot, I talked with a gentleman at Detroit Diesel about the 3.5 HTHS number on the upcoming CK-4 oils, as my motor calls for a minimum of 3.7. He told me a new DD Approved Oils list is in the works. He said they're currently testing the new oils and expects the new list will be released around the time the CK-4 lubes start hitting the shelves.

It calls for a minimum 3.7 HTHS if the oil is a XXw40. It calls for a 3.5 HTHS if it is a XXw30. Read the manual. Section 3.8 on page 9. 3.7 for a 40w and 3.5 for a 30w. All DD, Cummins, Mack/Volvo, Paccar, and Navistar engines are factory filled with 10w30 now.

Hey Dak, nothing against TA/Petro as I use them as well. However, I prefer Sapp Bros. for oil changes. They "feature" Mobil Delvac and use the same Mobil grease as TA/Petro but they are a bit less expensive (they seem more concerned about quality work, too). You also get a free steak dinner and there are no "restrictions apply" type things in small print.

I used to be a regular at their Council Bluffs, Iowa and Salt Lake City locations but now it's usually their Denver location that I get into. I love to do my own PM's at home (I sell my used oil, too) but I don't make it a point to do so anymore. You can do good by greasing your own truck and getting to know it underneath like the back of your hand.

It calls for a minimum 3.7 HTHS if the oil is a XXw40. It calls for a 3.5 HTHS if it is a XXw30. Read the manual. Section 3.8 on page 9. 3.7 for a 40w and 3.5 for a 30w. All DD, Cummins, Mack/Volvo, Paccar, and Navistar engines are factory filled with 10w30 now.

I'm not sure if the CK-4 00w40 will have a 3.7 HTHS though. The gentleman I recently talked with said his info showed the CK-4 lubes will have a maximum HTHS of 3.5.

We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Hey Dak, nothing against TA/Petro as I use them as well. However, I prefer Sapp Bros. for oil changes. They "feature" Mobil Delvac and use the same Mobil grease as TA/Petro but they are a bit less expensive (they seem more concerned about quality work, too). You also get a free steak dinner and there are no "restrictions apply" type things in small print.

I used to be a regular at their Council Bluffs, Iowa and Salt Lake City locations but now it's usually their Denver location that I get into. I love to do my own PM's at home (I sell my used oil, too) but I don't make it a point to do so anymore. You can do good by greasing your own truck and getting to know it underneath like the back of your hand.

Thank you, Dusty!!

I did see the steak dinner PM offer at the Sapp's in SLC. I also found that with my Company discount that it's slightly cheaper for me to use Speeco than TA/Petro. I get a bit of a discount at TA/Petro on pm's, but I plan on asking the Sapp's what my out the door price for a PM is. If they're cheaper than both TA/Petro and Speedco, I'm definitely going to use Sapp's!!

Take care!!!

I'm not sure if the CK-4 00w40 will have a 3.7 HTHS though. The gentleman I recently talked with said his info showed the CK-4 lubes will have a maximum HTHS of 3.5.

He's mistaken. There will be two specifications for the HDEOs. There will be new, lower viscosity ones, below 3.5. The other specification, likely to be called CK-4, will have the same viscosity requirements that there are now.

And note that SAE J300 requirements remain, regardless of what an API service classification says. A 15w-40, for instance, will have an HTHS of 3.7 or higher, period. Changing the C service classification isn't enough; one would have to change SAE J300. So, there won't be any lubes met by the low viscosity side of things in a 15w-40, obviously. However, nor will a sub 3.5 HTHS lube meet the CK-4 part of things.

Backwards compatibility is there for a reason.

That is true. I have not seen where they will have 3.7 HTHS minimum on CK-4 XXw40 oil though. Since I am using a 10w30 CJ-4 in a factory remanned 12.7L DDEC IV Series 60 engine, and the CK-4 XXw30 oils will have the same 3.5 HTHS minimum, it will be a big yawn for anyone using that viscosity. And since factories are filling with 10w30 across all their highway truck engines anyway, and have been for a while, kind of a non issue at this point. The trucking community has got XXw40 on the brain from so many years of using only that grade. There are a lot of changes that many owners have not caught up to yet. This CK-4 thing just messes with their brain even more.

Originally Posted By: Garak

He's mistaken. There will be two specifications for the HDEOs. There will be new, lower viscosity ones, below 3.5. The other specification, likely to be called CK-4, will have the same viscosity requirements that there are now.

And note that SAE J300 requirements remain, regardless of what an API service classification says. A 15w-40, for instance, will have an HTHS of 3.7 or higher, period. Changing the C service classification isn't enough; one would have to change SAE J300. So, there won't be any lubes met by the low viscosity side of things in a 15w-40, obviously. However, nor will a sub 3.5 HTHS lube meet the CK-4 part of things.

Backwards compatibility is there for a reason.

Excellent info. Thanks so much, Garak.
smile.gif

TiredTrucker, I'm still going back and forth between running 15W40 conventional Spring, Summer, and Fall, then 10W30 semi-syn in the Winter, as I've done with my Semi for almost the past year, or simply running the 10W30 semi-syn year round. The cost difference of the 10W30 is only a $50 upcharge, and I suppose the 10W30 semi-syn might be slightly stouter, so extending my drain intervals would be less of a concern.

As you've told me, old habits die hard in regards to using 15W40. We've all been running 15W40 for many years in Class 8 trucks with success. My biggest concern with using 10W30 year round is operating temperatures in the hottest summer months, pulling heavy loads. I've been hauling fairly heavy auto parts loads out of South Texas and Southern Arizona, so that's my only concern with using a thinner weight oil.

The only way I'll know is doing UOA's on both the 15W40 and the 10W30, which I plan to do. Perhaps I'll switch to 10W30 in August to see it's effect on my operating temperatures. Then run some UOA's on it to compare the numbers I've been getting from the 15W40.

I see Schneider is using the 10W30 semi-syn year round, as are other fleets. I've also noticed there's a great volume of 10W30 Rotella, Delo, and Delvac on the truck stop shelves. It must be gaining popularity out here.

Take care, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back