Another CS5 Ultra or RT43 dilemma with prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need new tires for the focus. 195/65/15 H.

Cooper CS5 = $421.32 - $50 off set of 4 = 393.60 after tax, - $70 rebate = $323.60. Lifetime road hazard, balance and rotation from fleet farm. 60k warranty

General RT43 = $351.92 with lifetime balance and rotation from..... Walmart
eek.gif
65k warranty

I have the RT43 T rated on the Taurus and love them. I'm torn as I love the RT43 but hear great things from th CS5. The focus is occasionally driven during winter, where I've loved the RT43 on the Taurus. Will the CS5 ultra be a disappointment in th few times I'm stuck in bad winter weather. (Usually leave it parked when winter weather hits and we drive the Taurus and truck but it's iowa and it never fails for us to be somewhere with the focus and a random snow fall).

The RT43's are supposed to be a little better in snow while the CS5 Ultras are supposed to be a little better in rain and handling.

I put a set of the CS5 Ultras on my in-laws AWD G37 since they wanted a little better rain/handling and the awd more than makes up the difference in snow.

But my MiLs Corolla got the RT43s as she drives slow and snow would limit her more.

I keep telling myself, either will probably be a huge upgrade from the factory continental pro contacts.

We don't have snow in So Cal(unless we go to skiing on mountain) so I have no idea which one is better. But for wet and dry surfaces CS5 Ultra Touring 235/45-17 on E430 is very good.

The other tire I am looking to get for Volvo V70 is Kumho Solus TA71, it is tested very well against RT43 by Tirerack. I think they said RT43 is better on light snow but TA71 is better ride on dry and wet surface.

If you're happy with RT43 I think you may want to stay with it.

that was my dilemma a couple months back, for My Sable.
I ended up just following my Gut and Getting the CS5 Ultras.

was there a logical, fact driven reason.... other than the fact that Cooper is based within 45 min from my house, and they had a $70MIR at the time... nope. Just a Gut Feeling.

We will (hopefully) see how good a choice that was this winter.

be Glad you have 15's, My Sable has 225/55 18's, My Cost ended up Just shy of $640(before MIR)$138/tire + Taxes, + $10/Tire For Lifetime Rotation/Road Hazard(Small local indie tire shop)

Either is good, but you should also consider the Dunlop Signature II and the Kumho Solus TA71. Both for around the same price as the RT43 at Walmart.

my experience with cooper is cs4 for a hyundai elantra and cs5 for my base sedan toyota yaris DD.
at new in winter in new snow/slushy/trucks-ruts the little cars became tanks.
while others around me in minivans, work vans, trucks they where spinning or not able to start/pickup traction.
THEY ARE NOT AN ICE TIRE!!!
but works reasonable (coupled with reasonable driving and avoiding the idiots..)

i think one of the complaints for the rt43 is at very used stage the sips don't go deep enough.
coopers some complaints about noise

i think both are very good tires for the money. if you search a bit they are also long term use reviews here on BITOG.

I put a set of the the Generals on my 'beater' car and they've been among the best tires I've bought=very round, took little weight, good in all weather conditions and reasonable $. I got the same size as you are looking at, but in the T rating and they were made in Romania?!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jimzz
The RT43's are supposed to be a little better in snow while the CS5 Ultras are supposed to be a little better in rain and handling.

Since the coopers are made in the USA ant the RT43s are not... And rain traction is something that is a 12 month issue as opposed to a thresh month issue... Id go Cooper anyday. Ive been very pleased with our CS4s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back