Smooth riding vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some used vehicles that are well known to be smooth riding? Ones that can travel across chewed up, pot hole filled roads and not make you cringe?

Edit - budget of 15k

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on how big and deep the potholes, but Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, or the fullsize Lincolns have good rides. When we would go on long family trips we always took the Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. Very Comfy.

Camry LE, the SE has a firmer suspension and lower profile tires. Plus the wind noise around the windows is very low. Metro Toyota is nice to work with and you can get a certified one. This one is in your budget and only 17k miles:

http://www.metrotoyota.com/certified/Toyota/2013-Toyota-Camry-Cleveland,+Ohio-3f7cf9e00a0e0a1725669ccf8310d65b.htm

Last edited:
The ultimate smooth riding vehicle would be a Buick Lucerne Super. The Super has an active electronic suspension system designed by Bose that independently raises and lowers all 4 wheels in order to keep the vehicle from being shaken from defects in the road. The Super was a $12,000 option on the Buick Lucerne. There are not many of them around.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
The ultimate smooth riding vehicle would be a Buick Lucerne Super. The Super has an active electronic suspension system designed by Bose that independently raises and lowers all 4 wheels in order to keep the vehicle from being shaken from defects in the road. The Super was a $12,000 option on the Buick Lucerne. There are not many of them around.

Not true. It had Magnaride, which is Delphi's system with magnetorheological dampers. Those adjust their damping levels electronically.

No production car ever came with that Bose system.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I suppose it depends on how big and deep the potholes, but Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, or the fullsize Lincolns have good rides. When we would go on long family trips we always took the Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. Very Comfy.

+1 Smoothest riding cars I have ever been in were a 90-something Cadillac Eldorado & a Town Car.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Camry LE, the SE has a firmer suspension and lower profile tires. Plus the wind noise around the windows is very low. Metro Toyota is nice to work with and you can get a certified one. This one is in your budget and only 17k miles:

http://www.metrotoyota.com/certified/Toyota/2013-Toyota-Camry-Cleveland,+Ohio-3f7cf9e00a0e0a1725669ccf8310d65b.htm

Smooth riding and reliable is the one above.

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
1960 Citroen DS 19 was the smoothest ride I was ever in.
Hydro-pneumatic suspension .

The electronic version on the 2001-2013 C5's Hidroactive III, is even better.

Check out a 2005-2009 Lacrosse.I absolutely love mine. Mine is very smooth riding, very quiet and gets great (30-33 hwy) mpg as well. For your price range, you could get a very nice one with very few miles. Also, a Buick Lucerne would be a good choice, the Lucerne is bigger and nicer than the Lacrosse, but either is nice. Buicks in general are very smooth riding cars that can really eat up the miles at 80 mph. And they are reliable as well.

Mercedes S class?
grin.gif

It has air suspension.

Chrysler 300 WITHOUT the performance suspension rides very well. So does the (base) Impala.

Ultimate would be a 2007-2011 Lincoln Town Car, a Grand Marquis, or a non-police Crown Vic. This ons, perhaps?

Generally I prefer a RWD car for the way they feel on the road. Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, Town Car, Cadillac, and the old Caprice were some very comfortable cars to ride in for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Chrysler 300 WITHOUT the performance suspension rides very well. So does the (base) Impala.

Ultimate would be a 2007-2011 Lincoln Town Car, a Grand Marquis, or a non-police Crown Vic. This ons, perhaps?

That's a BEAUTIFUL car!!

Buick LeSabre or Park Avenue, Lincoln Town Car, or Cadillac Sedan deVille. Without going back into the 80s, those are probably your best shot.

Another vote for the Panther platform. I've sat at a redlight and watched one hit a pothole in the intersection and the suspension soaked it up 100%; the body of the car didn't even wobble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back