Echo Exhaust Job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to bite the bullet and replace the exhaust and cat of my sig indicated echo. I have running around a few years with a P0420 code and state emissions is 1 year overdue; car is up for registration in a year and won't be eligible unless emissions issues are addressed. To hasten the process the muffler broke and really not interested in driving around with a bumble bee exhaust.

The connection to the manifold was rusted to the point where hack sawing the bolts was necessary. The rest of the exhaust is hung with rubber hangers hanging from round stock attachments on the car.

Sawed the head pipe and removed the cat and resonator and 02 sensors; Removed the exhaust manifold as a mounting bracket had rusted and broke and the exhaust bolts remnants were still firmly in there. Manifold came off as if installed yesterday. Took a gander and decided just to order a new one. (OEM) I consider myself fortunate to enjoy such luxury; trying to revive the original one would have been labor intensive. Manifold gasket came right off and is tasked for reuse; Ordered some OEM bolts and gaskets for the new exhaust and some Denso O2 sensors.

Ordered an Eastern catalytic Eco III replacement converter and Walker SS Quiet flows or some such nonsense. Exhaust bolted up nicely and there were no fitment issues. I have one hanger issue due to rust, i have rigged it for short term and will be asking my friend's son to weld up a replacement.

Some poor quality shots.

Walker SS muffler

New convertor; engine to the right

Downstream O2

Connection between exhaust pipe and muffler

Manifold sans heatshield; (some really bad perspective going on there)

Took me about 6 hours over 3 weeks. Used Rhino ramps and basic hand tools and 4" Craftsman grinder.

Muffler $115
Cat $222
O2 Sensors $140
Manifold $142

About $100 of brackets, bolts, gaskets.

All parts from RA and Toyota online parts.
Pretty happy with the job, will be happier once the rusted hanger is replaced.

Last edited:
Great work!

At ~$720 your cost, I bet it would have been double that at an exhaust shop or dealer.

Last edited:
Well done - looks great
smile.gif

Not much rust at all from what I can see in the pics... the car seems to be holding up well given the NE environment. That's a nice exhaust manifold too... like a shorty header. Nice job!

Looks good! I used a Walker Quiet Flow muffler & resonator pipe to replace the OE units that rusted at the joint between them on the xB in my sig. I'm glad I didn't have to include the cat and manifold.

Simple-g, in regards to your replacement CC, is that one of those deals where we can buy any replacement CC we want and install it ourselves, but a shop or dealer would have had to use an OEM product?

Hopefully it keeps the catalyst inefficiency codes away forever!

Originally Posted By: JTK
Simple-g, in regards to your replacement CC, is that one of those deals where we can buy any replacement CC we want and install it ourselves, but a shop or dealer would have had to use an OEM product?

Hopefully it keeps the catalyst inefficiency codes away forever!

So far, the code has not returned. The exhaust I removed was the factory one, including the converter.

If I rush and get the vehicle thru emissions next week, I should be good to go for the next registration cycle which gives me 3 years life on the car. If I pass next May, then I will have 5 years life.

Emissions waivers are granted (3) ways in CT, which like an idiot, I didn't bother to read prior to this repair

1) Expenditure of $865 of emissions related repairs performed by an authorized emissions place.

2) Financial hardship

3) Functional diagnosis; (i.e all the emissions stuff is replaced, but it still fails)

FWIW, OEM cat is about $900; given the oil consumption, I"m only interested in having the car < 5 years. It just isn't worth it @ this time.

Last edited:
FYI, if you're way overdue on emissions, the next time you pass is only good for one year. I don't know how overdue you have to be, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back