Mobil 1 and Harley Davidson questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks!

My older brother is a Harley rider and wanted me to ask a few questions on his behalf. He owns an '03 Electra Glide with an 88 ci motor and a '14 Road King with a 103 ci motor. He's looking at Mobil 1 gear lube, and is wondering which to run in his primary's and differentials. He told me there's two different weights, one is a 75W90 and there's a heavier weight, I think he said 75W140, I'm probably wrong on the second weight, sorry for my ignorance on motorcycles.

Anyway, which gear lube is preferred, and what do the Harley riders think on Mobil 1's 20W50 for the motors in his bikes?

Thank you in advance.
smile.gif

Last edited:
For oil....Valvoline VR1 20w50 has returned stellar results in Twin Cam Harley used oil analysis.

I will let others comment on gear lube in Harley transmissions.

As I recall, the big Harleys have seperate oil in the tranny from the primary (my Sportster shares primary oil). So he can divvy up the oil as needed. No synthetics in the primary as the clutch does not like them. Redline MTL in the actual tranny (great tranny lube
smile.gif
). And whatever he prefers in the engine. I run GTX20W-50 in my engine as anything "thinner" makes to much racket...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
As I recall, the big Harleys have seperate oil in the tranny from the primary (my Sportster shares primary oil). So he can divvy up the oil as needed. No synthetics in the primary as the clutch does not like them. Redline MTL in the actual tranny (great tranny lube
smile.gif
). And whatever he prefers in the engine. I run GTX20W-50 in my engine as anything "thinner" makes to much racket...

Synthetics not working with clutches is an old wives tale. If it were true, there would be horror stories all over the net from people using synthetic ATF in their cars or synthetic oil in their shared sump motorcycles.

Buckle your seatbelt, as you've unknowingly wandered into a topic of great and heated debate.

Mobil1 75/90 is the one that most M1 users use in the transmission.

Mobil will tell you that you can run V-Twin in all three holes if you e-mail them.

Harley will tell you that you can run SYN3 in all three holes as well.

Redline shockproof heavy (Also packaged as V-Twin Transmission fluid) is a popular choice as well.

Some reading for you:

http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=49

(Direct link to PDF:) http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Med...N3_Oil_FAQs.pdf

Currently the big twin has V-Twin in the engine, Racing 4T in the primary and Redline Shockproof Heavy in the transmission .

The Sportster has V-Twin in the engine and Racing 4T in the transmission.

But as I've said on several occasions, I don't think it matters a great deal.

Also, for the engine M1 15/50 is a popular choice and cheaper than 25/50 V-Twin.

Tes 295 (alwith an Allison an number is likely gona do well . usually there is yellow metal in small gearbox or transmission. If you are sure there is no yellow metal ?
Get an oil with an sae j2360 certification

Last edited:
You're going to get enough answers on this one to make your head spin, and I can't speak personally to the Mobil 1 gear lubes although I'm sure they're just fine in this low tech Harley application, but if it helps I've had a great experience with Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 in the tranny. My '00 RK shifts great with it and I use fairly long change intervals. I'm due for a change now and am going today to get some Redline Shockproof Heavy just to see what all the fuss is about. Frankly I'd be surprised if it were an improvement but what can I say I like trying stuff out for myself. Both the RP and Redline are overpriced IMO but my curiosity is worth the $20. I expect unless I see a major improvement with the Redline I'll go with some run of the mill syn gear lube at half the cost.

1995 Harley evo 80ci 1340cc engine = Valvoline Vr1 20w50 conventional

5 speed transmission = Redline Heavy Shockproof

Primary = Revtech 20w50 conventional

Thank you, everyone for your replies.
smile.gif

I passed the info along to my brother. He has been using Harley products, but he's looking into Mobil 1 because it's so much easier for him to find in Auto Zone's when he's on a long ride.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Buckle your seatbelt, as you've unknowingly wandered into a topic of great and heated debate.

Mobil1 75/90 is the one that most M1 users use in the transmission.

Mobil will tell you that you can run V-Twin in all three holes if you e-mail them.

Harley will tell you that you can run SYN3 in all three holes as well.

Redline shockproof heavy (Also packaged as V-Twin Transmission fluid) is a popular choice as well.

Some reading for you:

http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=49

(Direct link to PDF:) http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Med...N3_Oil_FAQs.pdf

Currently the big twin has V-Twin in the engine, Racing 4T in the primary and Redline Shockproof Heavy in the transmission .

The Sportster has V-Twin in the engine and Racing 4T in the transmission.

But as I've said on several occasions, I don't think it matters a great deal.

Also, for the engine M1 15/50 is a popular choice and cheaper than 25/50 V-Twin.

Great info! Many thanks!!

He's definitely going with the M1 75/90 for his tranny. I'll pass along the info about the 15w50.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Dak27
Hi folks!

My older brother is a Harley rider and wanted me to ask a few questions on his behalf. He owns an '03 Electra Glide with an 88 ci motor and a '14 Road King with a 103 ci motor. He's looking at Mobil 1 gear lube, and is wondering which to run in his primary's and differentials. He told me there's two different weights, one is a 75W90 and there's a heavier weight, I think he said 75W140, I'm probably wrong on the second weight, sorry for my ignorance on motorcycles.

Anyway, which gear lube is preferred, and what do the Harley riders think on Mobil 1's 20W50 for the motors in his bikes?

Thank you in advance.
smile.gif

Ill answer with what I use in my 14 Road King. then stick to the question.
For me, its a no brainer. I use Harley Formula+ in my Primary and Transmission. Really that simple and I cant find a reason not to.

However, Harley does offer you can use a motor oil in the Primary and Transmission as well, they recommend if you do, use the HD brand Syn 3 20/50, knowing that, you can use any 20/50 engine oil in the transmission and primary. Mobile 1 4T 20/50 I am sure would be a fine choice.

Knowing the above would be my choices and I posted what I use.
AS far as using gear lube, whatever floats your boat, I am sure it will do no harm, at least not with the modern lubes available like Mobile 1.
No where does HD and MANY, MANY other makers suggest gear lube for the trans and NEVER use gear lube in the primary. I guess the reason to use it, is to get rid of the "clunk" sound of the transmission, for what reason I dont know, as the clunk sound is supposed to be there.

So, if you choose to use gear lube, use it in the Transmission do NOT use it in the primary.
The correct weight (making believe gear lube is the correct lube) would be 75/90 as this would equal the viscosity of a 20/50 motor oil and HDs Formula + which is known to be in that range as well

Last edited:
^^^What he said. The reason not to use gear lube in the primary is that it wrecks the stator. Edit: FWIW I use H-D brand formula + in the trans and Rotella 15W-40 truck oil in the primary.

Last edited:
I myself use the formula plus in the transmission and primary.Have tried ALL different combinations over the years.But if you want to use something in the primary that you can buy locally,try Rotella 15w-40.A lot of people like it.

I am chiming in with the guys above - I own a Softail and an Ultra Classic and have tried just about all the choices. I used Mobil 1 in the transmission as well as Redline and guess what...I am back to using the HD fluid in the trans and primary. I do use Mobil 1 V Twin or Redline in the motors.

Valvoline mineral VR-1 racing oil in the motor, Rotella 15/40 mineral in the primary. and Walmart 75/90 wt mineral in the trans. '05 Road King 62k miles, no issues with that combo and it shifts like butter. There no reason to use high priced, over rated Harley oil. Or any other high priced oil for that matter. These vehicles aren't that sensitive or delicate. And they will not last any longer, just because you pay more for oil.The main reason there are so many Harley's around, is because people buy them and don't ride them. Seems people get more enjoyment from changing oil then riding them.,,,

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Remember one thing
Hd get hot(non liquid cooled)so thicker synthetic is required .yep it is mandatory

Your wrong, the vast majority of all (if not all) Harley Davidson motorcycles simply require conventional 20/50 oil. Of course they recommend their conventional 20/50 oil.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Remember one thing
Hd get hot(non liquid cooled)so thicker synthetic is required .yep it is mandatory

And how did the even hotter running Harley's live before the days of synthetic? Because they don't need synthetic, most of which in North America is Group III and comes from crude just like conventional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back