Chewing Gum

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a part of my weight loss strategy, I'm chewing more gum. Gum in mouth means food is not.

Now that I'm getting to chew a more significant amount, I'm looking at the contents of the gum and I'd like to start chewing something without aspartame in it. I've seen xylatol options and a few others. Sugar gums are certainly out of the question.

Anyone have any experience with non aspartame gums that actually taste good?

Keep it out of your mouth. Rather than trade one bad habit for another, discipline yourself to not chew anything at all.

Thanks for the smart [censored] answers.

Good to know that judgement is strong here. About the only real problem with some people on this forum.

How about I go and fix one problem and worry about the lesser problem later? Or better yet, if you don't know of a decent non-aspartame gum, keep you opinion to yourself?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
You can eat veggies instead. Celery, broccoli, tomatoes, cucumbers have no calories and are good for you.

I do appreciate this answer and I know those are great options.

Spry gum, on Amazon, is quite good. It wasn't any better or worse tasting than something like Trident, but at least Xylitol is shown to inhibit bacterial growth.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
As a part of my weight loss strategy, I'm chewing more gum. Gum in mouth means food is not.

Now that I'm getting to chew a more significant amount, I'm looking at the contents of the gum and I'd like to start chewing something without aspartame in it. I've seen xylatol options and a few others. Sugar gums are certainly out of the question.

Anyone have any experience with non aspartame gums that actually taste good?

Google is your friend here. I don't generally chew gum so can't comment on the flavor of these, but:

https://www.google.com/search?q=chewing+...me&ie=UTF-8

couple of warnings:
-i managed to pull more than a couple of fillings....
-if you create a reflex of chewing too much, if without gum, you may start chewing your internal cheeks...

Thanks for the smart [censored] answers.

Good to know that judgement is strong here. About the only real problem with some people on this forum.

How about I go and fix one problem and worry about the lesser problem later? Or better yet, if you don't know of a decent non-aspartame gum, keep you opinion to yourself?

+1

I chew gum all the time. I'm really compulsive about oral cleanliness and it just always makes your mouth feel clean. Makes my teeth feel good too. When I wore braces in high school,my orthodontist said chewing gum is actually good for your teeth.

Xylitol has an additional benefit if weight loss is the goal...

From wiki
"...As with other sugar alcohols, with the exception of erythritol, consumption in excess of one's laxation threshold (the amount of sweetener that can be consumed before abdominal discomfort sets in) can result in temporary gastrointestinal side effects, such as bloating, flatulence, and diarrhea...."

I read recently how brushing your teeth often can defer eating. Since you want to keep your breath fresh. It's kind of like a two step process. First is the weight loss then after you've lost it is the Maintain step. I was up to 260 lbs and am now 180. No way I'm going back to the higher weight.

I joined a free website after my initial 20 lbs loss and it gave me a goal to lose 50 lbs in ONE year. Counting calories really helped, walking every day, drinking a lot of water, pushups every morning. I could barely do 10 when I started and would shake and tremble while doing them. Now I do 50 every morning without shaking.

Any time Ive chewed gum, it has lost its flavor very rapidly. Is there such a thing as unflavored gum?

Honestly Id not want any of those synthetic flavors/sweeteners in my mouth. I guess I kind of get chewing gum rather than snacking, different mental tricks work for different folks... Whatever works for you, right?

But Id still prefer to avoid the chemicals... Like something with just a trace amount of peppermint oil or so for a fragrance but no flavor/sweetness.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I hate gum. Whenever I see anyone chewing it I want to bash in their faces with a pipe.

You probably should be in some sort of residential program. Or at least be checking in with someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back