Best SAE30 weight oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so I live in a benign climate. No need for cold flow precautions. So I could live with straight 30 if it had modern good add-paks. So what is the best straight 30 out there?

And how about synthetics that are rated XW-30, but are really closer to straight 30 in how they act above stone cold start-up ...

Last edited:
For a car? Nothing special? Pennzoil SAE30. Ran it myself in the Jeep, works great.

For something heavier I'd be looking at one of the HDEO versions but for a passenger car I believe you'd be better served with the Pennzoil.

Anyone run this: http://www.fuchslubricants.com/titan-universal-hd-sae-30

Cars, trucks, tractors - I've been thinking that all the VII's and other components may not be the best way to go. 30's are more shear stable than most multi's, so why not look into the possibility and just skip all the multi-vis nonsense
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Amsoil ACD is about as beefy as it gets.

+1

+2 or ASE 4stroke oil

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Amsoil ACD is about as beefy as it gets.

+1

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Amsoil ACD or Schaeffer 7000 #702 maybe?

Agree with the Amsoil recommendation; but depending on your vehicle (tell us more....) the ACD might not be the right choice since it meets gas engine requirements for SL.

So for a 2007+ gas vehicle I'd recommend the SS 10w30, or ATM. It was originally formulated as a 30, but met the cold flow requirements of a 10w so was labelled and sold that way. Very stout.

Not directly comparable, but there is a big difference in starting my marine diesel when using straight 30 weight vs. 15W-40, when the temperature gets down close to freezing. With the 30 it sounds like the starter is going to die. Do you ever take a trip up to the mountains, or drive to visit relatives someplace cold? Personally, I might experiment with straight 30 if out of warranty or on a vehicle I wasn't worried about, and if you plan on never driving out of Southern California.

No thinner is better crowd to say: "Well, if it doesn't shear, why not use a full Synthetic SAE straight 20?"

If you don't have fuel dilution problems, neither are short tripper ...

Last edited:
So here we have a SAE30 & 10W-30 (Amsoil - meets both requirements) with an HTHS of 3.4 All that's very good - I like it
smile.gif

But is there some generally equivalent oil on the shelves in a local store?

I knew we'd get to Amsoil, and eventually to Redline... Just hoping that someone had come across other common 30's that were nearly as good...

All the vehicles I'm concerned with have well over 100,000 miles. 1988, 1997 and 2001 - nothing newer - plus trucks and tractors. The coldest place I might go in winter is skiing in Tahoe and for that it would be the Bronco (big) with 4x4, so that's 1988 and I'm guessing SL would be fine (I'm away from town right now w/o access to OM).

The reason for this post is that PQIA does not do 30 straight grades as far as I can see, so it has to come from crowd knowledge ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Not directly comparable, but there is a big difference in starting my marine diesel when using straight 30 weight vs. 15W-40, when the temperature gets down close to freezing. With the 30 it sounds like the starter is going to die. Do you ever take a trip up to the mountains, or drive to visit relatives someplace cold? Personally, I might experiment with straight 30 if out of warranty or on a vehicle I wasn't worried about, and if you plan on never driving out of Southern California.

Agree with the above regarding straight 30.

IMO, a 10w30 would be perfect for that benign California climate you live in.

As long as it's shear stable ...

I'm just pushing the thought boundaries here on oils that are acceptable and have some better properties than wide range VII formulated ones ...

Last edited:
Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 should be pretty shear stable assuming thats your primary reason for wanting a SAE30.

If you want something at a lower cost Shell Rotella T5 10W30 is readily available. I do see Chevron Delo 400 LE 10W30 on occasion at a lower cost yet.

I was looking at Rotella T1 30 HD which all the comments I can find (including SOPUS) is that it's extremely shear stable ...

No more Delo 30 HD available
frown.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back