2015 Honda Accord Hybrid Factory Fill - 11133mi

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
This is the factory fill for my 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid. Lots of fuel in this sample, which is a concern and may prevent me from trying a 0w-16 in here. The car has a lot of highway use, I bought it in very late July, and it already has over 11k miles in April.

The OLM showed 10% when I changed it. Perhaps that is too far.

The engine does run cool typically, due to start/stop and all.

1172BB9D-D783-4385-8C4C-C98E8C972D32_zpsaq87ba6z.jpg

Replaced with M1 EP 0w-20 to keep consistent with what we're running in the odyssey.

Originally Posted By: deven
I commend you for keeping the FF for 11K+ miles. I'd have heart palpitations if I did it!

Me too....but you have to consider that a 'hybrid' uses it's electric motor a lot so there is really less than 11K on this oil.

The #'s aren't all that bad if you consider FF, 11k miles & 4 qt sump. Did you have to add any oil during the run? I'm sure you'll be fine following the OLM with the M1 EP you're running - just keep it topped off. It's scary to me when 4 qt sumps get low.

I watched it close and there was zero use. I was surprised because the van used some over the factory fill OCI.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: deven
I commend you for keeping the FF for 11K+ miles. I'd have heart palpitations if I did it!

Me too....but you have to consider that a 'hybrid' uses it's electric motor a lot so there is really less than 11K on this oil.

I wouldn't have a problem going 11K+ interval in an hybrid just not on FF though. I'm one of those guys that likes to get rid of the FF by 1000 miles.

I know Honda says to keep the FF in for the duration but I've owned a few Acura TL's and the FF has been out by 1000 miles

The fuel issue is concern. Fuel dilution is a nasty to me. I'd be shortening the OCI. Maybe 25% on the OLM...

Also pull a dip-stick sucker sample at say 5,000 and see what comes back?

Went 10k on the FF with the 2012 Camry and it runs like a top. Did a UOA on it recently and it was very good.

JHZ, how does the hybrid mode function?

What I mean is when initially started and operating in battery assist mode the engine is still cold?

Or does the computer run the engine until it is up to thermostat temp? before using battery

if it works like the first scenario i can imagine that the engine, when being used, is running "rich" or in cold start like conditions. potentially allowing more fuel to wash down cylinder walls

I wonder if a honda dealer could make the car run the engine longer before going into max battery assist mode.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
JHZ, how does the hybrid mode function?

What I mean is when initially started and operating in battery assist mode the engine is still cold?

Or does the computer run the engine until it is up to thermostat temp? before using battery

if it works like the first scenario i can imagine that the engine, when being used, is running "rich" or in cold start like conditions. potentially allowing more fuel to wash down cylinder walls

I wonder if a honda dealer could make the car run the engine longer before going into max battery assist mode.

Hybrids are all about keeping the engine off and recovering momentum to reuse.

Efficiency (fuel economy) is all about how you run the engine. As a result, hvac is the biggest determinant. If heat is needed, the only way to get it is to call for heat from the engine.

It takes about 200 Wh/mile for an EV to transit. A hybrid has a small battery, around 1.3kWh, and its operations are optimized for very small/short cycles. But turn the car on, any weather, with no heat and you can drive a ways in EV mode. AC is electric, so it draws energy down underway too...

So have no heat or AC on, and you can drive to decent speeds (~45), until the power requirement demands the engine.

If it's really cold, the car will start the engine, idle it for a it, then turn it off. Then you can drive in EV mode until the battery charge drops too low... But... If the heat is on, and hvac is calling for heat, then it will run the engine until the coolant is around 180F.

Regular cruising on the highway will see sustained coolant temperatures like any other vehicle - 190-200F. But there's a lot more operations where the coolant is more like 180F just due to the duty cycle of the engine running in non-highway use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back