Gasoline in Oil Sample

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last oil change Blackstone reported everything good except about 2+ percent gasoline in the sample. The dealer blamed it on climate conditions, should have changed at 5000 miles (Ford recommends 10,000 miles or 1 year), did I do a lot of idling, was I making a lot of short trips. This was the 3rd oil change at about 20,000 miles. 6000 miles on the this change. The first 2 samples reported no fuel in the oil. I did that change about the time the dealer did a emissions recall on the evaporative system. My driving pattern, etc has been the same since day one. What's different? the emissions recall work. They reprogrammed something. I think that's the problem. I began thinking if a little bit of fuel showed up in the sample, that means a lot more fuel has been going into the crankcase. I am going to send another sample at 1000 miles to see how much is in it. The dealer questioned the accuracy of the oil analysis. Does Blackstone still have a good reputation? Changed ownership?

What ever regular is. That's what I have used from day one. I don't see what octane rating has to do with it. Please explain. If octane was a factor, I think it would have caused fuel in the first oil sample.

First things first...you've made several different posts now on this subject.

Have you actually contacted Blackstone for them to verify the results, or are you continuing to speculate about their credibility on the forum?

How did the viscosity compare between samples?

Okay found your engine info from another post.

Unless the oil level is rising in the engine I would continue with my normal interval. The fewer variables the better.

What were your flashpoints on each of your UOA?

Did you change to a different oil?

Last edited:
The test used to determine fuel dilution is an inferential one and may not be all that accurate.
You may actually have had no more fuel in this sample than you've had in earlier ones.
Compare viscosities between these samples.
Does the current sample with the putative 2% fuel show lower viscosity than the earlier ones with no fuel contamination noted?

Originally Posted By: borgward
Does Blackstone still have a good reputation? Changed ownership?

Is there anyone or anything the dealer didn't blame except the vehicle itself? Blackstone is a very serviceable outfit, in my view, but their fuel dilution calculation isn't the most accurate. You might want to go somewhere else if you want to nail down an accurate fuel dilution number.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
First things first...you've made several different posts now on this subject.

I did? about fuel in the oil sample?

Have you actually contacted Blackstone for them to verify the results, or are you continuing to speculate about their credibility on the forum?

Yes I did contact them. It is the Ford dealer that is questioning their accuracy. I am pretty confident of it, but it is prudent to find if they still have a good reputation

How did the viscosity compare between samples?

1st report SUS Viscosity @ 210F 51.6
1st report cSt Viscosity @ 100C 7.76

2nd report SUS Viscosity @ 210F 51.3
2nd report cSt Viscosity @ 100C 7.67

3rd report SUS Viscosity @ 210F 50.0
3rd report cSt Viscosity @ 100C 7.27

I Always use Mobile 1 5W/20. Ford put Motorcraft 5W/20 when new.

Originally Posted By: Gene K

Unless the oil level is rising in the engine I would continue with my normal interval. The fewer variables the better.

1st 400F
2nd 410F
3rd 335F

Motorcraft 5W/20 was in until till the first oil change. I have used Mobile 1 since then

Shows slightly lower viscosity. Blackstone said that was not a big problem, but I should watch to see if it gets worse.

It is looks like something is wrong with ford's reprogramming. Is there a way to inform EPA or similar to force ford to correct their work? Our other vehicle is a CMAX Hybrid. It would not start after sitting overnight when new - battery was drained. Ford reprogrammed it's computer 8 or 10 times until they sort of got it right. I get the impression that auto manufacturers are not up to snuff on programming, don't install enough processing power, and don't provide enough memory. RAM is cheap nowadays!

This fuel in the oil is not going to be noticed for a long time because 99.9% of owners are not going to do an oil analysis.

Let me be clear.

Your 1.6L Fiesta runs @ 11:1 compression. Can it operate on 87 octane? Sure, and it's designed to do so; requiring a higher octane, especially in an economy car, can be a severe impediment to sales.

From here on, run 93 octane. Gas in your area should be as follows:

Regular - 87 octane
Mid-grade/Plus - 89 octane
Premium - 93 octane

This will also be noted with a big yellow sticker right on the pump

In return, you'll see better performance, improved MPG (that will offset the additional cost), and greatly reduced fuel dilution.

Do it, and report back with your observations.

Let me be clear.

Your 1.6L Fiesta runs @ 11:1 compression. Can it operate on 87 octane? Sure, and it's designed to do so; requiring a higher octane, especially in an economy car, can be a severe impediment to sales.

From here on, run 93 octane. Gas in your area should be as follows:

Regular - 87 octane
Mid-grade/Plus - 89 octane
Premium - 93 octane

This will also be noted with a big yellow sticker right on the pump

In return, you'll see better performance, improved MPG (that will offset the additional cost), and greatly reduced fuel dilution.

Do it, and report back with your observations.
What is the reasoning behind this? Does high octane burn hotter or cleaner or something like that?

Last edited:

1st 400F
2nd 410F
3rd 335F

Motorcraft 5W/20 was in until till the first oil change. I have used Mobile 1 since then

As stated earlier Blackstone doesnt actually test for fuel. They infer it from Viscosity and Flashpoint. 335F is pretty low for M1 and would indicate the possibility of fue1. Especially given the lower viscosity.

The issue with low octane is the ECM will richen the mixture along with reducing the timing when it detects detonation.

It would have been nice if Blackstone could have repeated the Flashpoint Test.

Again as long as oil level isnt rising you are not putting great quanities of fuel into the oil so I would run another 6,000 miles and retest maybe to both Blackstone and Polaris as that will let you get numbers comparable to Blackstone and a real fuel test.

Last edited:
How many more MPG? 93 octane costs $1/gal more here. I have used it in another car on a long road trip where I wanted more power. It does indeed provide more power, but I doubt it would offset the additional dollar in cost.

93 octane costs $1/gal more here.

Not even close.

87 Octane:
mG2sefe.png

93 Octane:
qn5oHlF.png

1st 400F
2nd 410F
3rd 335F

As stated earlier Blackstone doesnt actually test for fuel. They infer it from Viscosity and Flashpoint. 335F is pretty low for M1 and would indicate the possibility of fue1. Especially given the lower viscosity.

The issue with low octane is the ECM will richen the mixture along with reducing the timing when it detects detonation.

True, but if that was enough to dilute the oil, it would be seen on the first oil change. Again, what changed, and what stayed the same?

It would have been nice if Blackstone could have repeated the Flashpoint Test.

Again as long as oil level isnt rising you are not putting great quanities of fuel into the oil so I would run another 6,000 miles and retest maybe to both Blackstone and Polaris as that will let you get numbers comparable to Blackstone and a real fuel test.

Polaris? who is that? Can you provide a link?

I don't live close to any of those. Last week Shell was close to $1 where I live. BTW the Shell station on 290 just east of 35, their regular seems to have a little more omph. Not usually close to there. Will go by the station I usually use and check the prices again. Regular went way down, but 93 did not go down as much and stayed about $1 higher.

Its common for a lot of engines to show increased fuel in the oil after winter with lots of short trips.
Some old Subaru would even start pushing the oil level up the stick but its normal and not much you can do about it.
Some engine ECM's command a lot of fuel when cold, combine that with increased clearances of the cold engine and some of it will go into the oil. I wouldn't sweat it unless it starts to increase, do a couple more UOA's one after the summer and one after next winter.

I don't live close to any of those. Last week Shell was close to $1 where I live. BTW the Shell station on 290 just east of 35, their regular seems to have a little more omph. Not usually close to there. Will go by the station I usually use and check the prices again. Regular went way down, but 93 did not go down as much and stayed about $1 higher.

Other than "central TX", how would I know where you live? Picked Austin from that, and looks like I was right in the area.

Regardless, here are current prices near your Shell -- once again, no where near $1 difference.

Regular:
15cYLj1.png

Premium:
BhObbKG.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back